The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a call from my dealer today asking me to sign a new contract to agree to not sell my car on EBAY or sell my contract to the highest bidder. The dealer is worried about the people selling on EBAY.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
rbullett said:
I had a call from my dealer today asking me to sign a new contract to agree to not sell my car on EBAY or sell my contract to the highest bidder. The dealer is worried about the people selling on EBAY.
And why would you care if that was not your intention. No simpathy here :no:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Sounds OK

I hope they are doing this in order to weed out speculators and get the cars into the hands of true enthusiasts faster. If that's the case, then as the speculators drop out they should move everyone else up the list. It would be less impressive if they planned to keep the cars from the vacated list spots for themselves to sell at market pricing, although I can understand that from the dealer's point of view it'd be preferable for them to earn the extra cash rather than the speculator.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
That is great news, I hope they all do that:D Where do I sign:clap:

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Great idea, but I'm curious, how are they going to enforce it? Take back your car after selling it to you? Demote you? Take away your privilages?

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
rbullett said:
Lots of violins playing this week.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
babak said:
Great idea, but I'm curious, how are they going to enforce it? Take back your car after selling it to you? Demote you? Take away your privilages?
They could sue you for damages / lost revenue.

I think this is fair, as long as there's a clause allowing sale of the vehicle in case of proven financial hardship.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
It seems to me though that they kind of let the cat out of the bag by not having this in the original contract. You can't really make a contract, then force the other party to change the terms just because you change your mind later. I'm all for selling cars at MSRP to people first come first served, but I don't think dealers should be strong arming people into signing a different contract than they originally had either.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I can understand the dealer choosing not to sell the car to you under "right of refusal." But is a contractual clause that say's you can't sell the car for X amount of time legally enforceable? Is that a violation of fair business practices? Anti-trust lawws in the respect that dealers are creating an substantial impact on the used car market?

I'm not fond of 'bottom feeders' grossly sell cars over MSRP. However, being force to sign a contract that prohibits me from doing what I want to my property (althought the bank would have a lien), bother's me more. In my opinion, if I bought the car , my contractual relation with the dealer is over as he's been paid, and my obligations are to the financer. Hence, so long as the financer get's paid, I should be able to sell the car regardless if it's for profit or just because I don't like it.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I have to agree with Allan. Once you've purchased the car, you can do whatever you want with it. IT IS YOUR CAR!

However, selling a spot in line is a whole other issue, because you're not selling property, you're trying to sell a contract between 2 people to a third party, which in my eyes would make the contract void.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
I have to agree with Allan. Once you've purchased the car, you can do whatever you want with it. IT IS YOUR CAR!

However, selling a spot in line is a whole other issue, because you're not selling property, you're trying to sell a contract between 2 people to a third party, which in my eyes would make the contract void.

What she said.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
babak said:
how are they going to enforce it?
Right of first refusal for a period of one year after purchase at the lower of MSRP or the proposed sale price would pretty much prevent speculating.

That said, I'm not fond of the concept myself.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
I....you're trying to sell a contract between 2 people to a third party, which in my eyes would make the contract void.
I agree. There's no contractual obligation between the dealer and the person buying the spot.

Someone told me that Ferrari has a similar requirement to buy the Enzo. Potential buyers had to go through a screening process and sign an agreement that they could not sell the car for one year. If you did sell the Enzo, then you would be blacklisted and never be able to buy another new Ferrari again. I've been told that it's worked pretty well, although a few people have sold Enzos for little a $1,000,000.

That being said, I think I'd take a $400,000 profit, be blacklisted, and have my girlfriend, mother, father, and then my brother buy the next Ferrari for me. Eventually, I'd run out of people and be like the kid in front of the liquor store trying to get someone to buy him a beer. :)

With the Elise, it would be much hard to prevent owners from selling. We're talking about a $40-$50K in 2000 to 2500 units per year compared to a $600K car with 100 units a year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts