The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Lotus,

I know you read the forums here on EliseTalk.com because of your actions today. (The person from Lotus who is reading this will know what I mean).

I'll try to put it as plainly as I can. I need a Lotus Elise for a charity event for Big Brothers Big Sisters by September 18th, 2004. The current lack of communication from Lotus is making it extremely difficult to ascertain what will be required to obtain a car by that timeframe. I find this an unacceptable situation.

Should I pay a premium to a dealership (like in Hawaii or California) to secure a car by Sept 18th?

Should I bid high on an auction on Ebay to get someone's car coming in? If so, what line number will guarantee me a car by September 18th, 2004?

Should I just sit back and hope someone who purchased a car and received it in July or August has suddenly grown tired of it and has decided to resell it on Ebay or Cars.Com or something?

Despite a written letter to Lotus requesting a donor car for the day of the event, I have not received a reply. Is this something Lotus is willing to do? Donate us a car for the event and then we give it back, ala some of the other events that Elises have shown up at? If so, who is the right person to talk to at Lotus?

There is such a complete lack of information, I cannot make an informed decision. Since I know you are reading this message, can you do me a favor? Use the PM function here to send me a private message with the following information. I guarantee that *I* will be the only one who sees your response.

A) Are there any cars available from dealers before Sept 18th? If so, which dealer(s) should I talk to?

B) Reasonably what line # should a person expect their car to be in by September 18th? Is that #'s 1-3? 1-7? 1-12?

C) Is Lotus willing to provide a loaner car for this charity event on September 18th? If so, who do I need to speak with (please provide contact information)

That's really all I ask. Trying to secure an Elise for this event is proving to be one big headache after the next. The charity event is for a worthy cause, children from the BBBS organization will be given rides around the track in the sports car of their choice. We took a survey of some of the children to get a list of "dream" cars and with one exception every car on that list we've been able to obtain for that day through one means or another. (Some purchased/owned by individuals on the board, others loaned by dealers, or private collectors). The exception is the Elise and the task of securing one fell to me since I've been pretty good at getting hard to find cars for this event. I'm about ready to throw my hands up and give up on the Elise, but I thought I would make one direct PUBLIC plea to Lotus to assist me in my quest.

Now that I have your attention, won't you please give some attention to this matter. It would make some children happy, it would make me happy at this point just to get a PM, and it will likely result in some good press for Lotus as this event is going to be widely publicized (TV, Newspaper, Magazine & Web).

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Later Apex

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Later Apex said:
I'll try to put it as plainly as I can. I need a Lotus Elise for a charity event for Big Brothers Big Sisters by September 18th, 2004. The current lack of communication from Lotus is making it extremely difficult to ascertain what will be required to obtain a car by that timeframe. I find this an unacceptable situation.
Why does it have to be an Elise? I think you may want to consider other cars for your event so that the kids are not let down. If you pulled 10 kids off the street at random and one could tell you what an Elise was I would be shocked.

I think it is great that you are helping the kids but you may want to start looking at alternatives...

Good Luck:)

BTW I am involved with a charity that helps kids

www.yflnfl.org

Have a look!

Patrick

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Later Apex said:
We took a survey of some of the children to get a list of "dream" cars and with one exception every car on that list we've been able to obtain for that day through one means or another. (Some purchased/owned by individuals on the board, others loaned by dealers, or private collectors). The exception is the Elise and the task of securing one fell to me since I've been pretty good at getting hard to find cars for this event.
Looks like there will be a selection of cars, one of which would be an Elise.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Later Apex,

Maybe if you posted a link at http://www.bbbsa.org about that event might motivate them.

Maybe getting someone from the BBBS National office in Pa might help.

Without more input from your side I wouldn't expect Lotus to do anything.

Sorry for being a doubting thomas, but if I don't believe everything I read in a forum, why should Lotus?

Miguel

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Dear Lotus,

I need an Elise for a charity event also. You see the Foundation for the G-force challenged is in need of a car that can pull in excess of 1 G on a skidpad. This great organization treats hundreds of G-force deprived individuals each year at its annual “Gimme dem Gzzz” event. You should know that without sufficient Gs replacement therapy many would simply wither up and die.
I am willing to buy the Elise… But wouldn’t yah feel better if yah just donated one to me?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Dear Lotus - I know you are reading this!

Patricko said:
Why does it have to be an Elise? I think you may want to consider other cars for your event so that the kids are not let down. If you pulled 10 kids off the street at random and one could tell you what an Elise was I would be shocked.

I think it is great that you are helping the kids but you may want to start looking at alternatives...

Good Luck:)

BTW I am involved with a charity that helps kids

www.yflnfl.org

Have a look!

Patrick
It doesn't HAVE to be an Elise - We will have around 100 cars there, including Ferraris, Porsches, BMW, Viper, Vette, Lambo and others, so there will be plenty of cars to choose from. Since we had a request, actually a couple of requests, for the Elise we thought we'd try to secure one for the event. As I said it can either be a purchase or a loaner, we aren't picky, we have members who would step up to the plate to buy, but not at grossly inflated prices, in order to bring one to the event.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Feffman said:
Late A:

If you need a Lotus and the event doesn't interfere with LOG 24, would a 1999 Esprit work? Maybe we can work something out and you can use mine!

Mark Pfeffer
Mark,

I appreciate the offer. The event is an all-day event at the Kansas Speedway where the morning will include track time for the car owners sponsored by one of the Nascar teams, but where owners can take their own cars out. The afternoon is a car show and tech demonstrations, then late afternoon into early evening is the ride for kids and sponsors followed by the charity auction in the evening.

It isn't for some bogus "G'z" event as Derek cracked a joke about but rather for Big Brothers Big Sisters. Here is a link to the information about the charity auction:

http://www.itsabigdeal.org/events_auction.asp

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The press cars are floating around somewhere, so it would seem that Lotus could make one of those available if they were so inclined.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Dear Lotus - I know you are reading this!

Later Apex said:
It doesn't HAVE to be an Elise - We will have around 100 cars there, including Ferraris, Porsches, BMW, Viper, Vette, Lambo and others, so there will be plenty of cars to choose from. Since we had a request, actually a couple of requests, for the Elise we thought we'd try to secure one for the event. As I said it can either be a purchase or a loaner, we aren't picky, we have members who would step up to the plate to buy, but not at grossly inflated prices, in order to bring one to the event.
That is all very nice but what is your problem with Lotus? They are very busy with the launch of the Federal Elise and as you can see they are having a few difficulties. ;)

It is nice when companies help charities out but I am not sure it is good form to demand it:( The other thing is that it seems you want this car for yourself and it looks like you are trying to jump the queue in the name of helping the children...:rolleyes:

If I have misunderstood I am sorry.

I think we all need to leave Lotus UK & USA alone and let them get on with building and delivering our cars:D

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Dear Lotus - I know you are reading this!

Patricko said:
I have misunderstood
Yeah, I think you have. He asked for a loaner for the event. I think Lotus could afford to take one away from a dealer or magazine editor for a day to make some kids happy.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: Re: Re: Dear Lotus - I know you are reading this!

Patricko said:
That is all very nice but what is your problem with Lotus? They are very busy with the launch of the Federal Elise and as you can see they are having a few difficulties. ;)

It is nice when companies help charities out but I am not sure it is good form to demand it:( The other thing is that it seems you want this car for yourself and it looks like you are trying to jump the queue in the name of helping the children...:rolleyes:

If I have misunderstood I am sorry.

I think we all need to leave Lotus UK & USA alone and let them get on with building and delivering our cars:D
Patricko,

I'm not asking Lotus to just hand over a car, what I am asking is that they either respond to the written request I sent in the mail (Snail Mail) or respond here with some INFORMATION that will make it easier for me to determine which route(s) we can or cannot take.

For example Lotus could say "We have a press loaner we'll send you for the event, here's who you need to talk to" or Lotus could say "If you are going to purchase a car to have available we'd advising purchasing from Dealer X or not higher than spot Y"

As it is, there is simply NO DIRECTION, so I have idea which direction is the best approach. I'm frustrated with Lotus, but I'm not demanding that they do anything, I'm requesting that they provide some information so that I can make an INFORMED decision.

I was hoping Randy and/or this forum would be able to clarify some things for us, and Randy has certainly tried to help, but the info I have so far is sketchy and speculative at best. What I am saying is that if it remains that way, we'll just have to scrap the idea of having an Elise there altogether. I hate to do that, but will if there isn't any clear direction forthcoming, hence my REQUEST.

Sorry if I came off harsh, just very frustrated as I am sure many other members of this forum are as well. Maybe I should go vent in that other thread... ;)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
After Symbolic closed the Beverly Hills showroom, I heard that Lotus was upset and might not give them two allocations. So I sent a couple of e-mails to Lotus asking them for an update and encouraging them to work something out so that their loyal future customers weren't left hanging.

Never heard a word in response. What makes you special? ;)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dear Lotus - I know you are reading this!

transio said:
Yeah, I think you have. He asked for a loaner for the event. I think Lotus could afford to take one away from a dealer or magazine editor for a day to make some kids happy.
Steve, you may want to start at the top and read this thread again...

Since we had a request, actually a couple of requests, for the Elise we thought we'd try to secure one for the event. As I said it can either be a purchase or a loaner, we aren't picky, we have members who would step up to the plate to buy, but not at grossly inflated prices, in order to bring one to the event.
Steve, what do you read from that?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Patricko,

What I make of it is that I requested a LOANER or information on how to purchase one since we have members who would step up and do it if the right car were available. Of course to do that, we'd need some information on how to best proceed. I'm just trying to explore all options at this point.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Later Apex said:
You're joking right? If you're serious about not accepting a "track only" Elise (pre 2002), then your half doing this for charity and half doing this to get an idea of exact Elise dealer allocation, numbers, etc...

I know we're all going crazy over the "no information" from Lotus but come on...

I still remember when Lotus would say "the Elise will come in two year"... we all wait then they announce... "one more year".

We're now being told weeks to months off course... THAT'S SO MUCH MORE DAMN ACCURATE THEN YEARS OFF THE MARK.

Lotus has improved SOOOOOO much from the past. They went from being years off on promises to weeks/months off the mark.

Not bad!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Later Apex said:
How, exactly? This seems like an excellent suggestion from dana. It's an Elise, the ECC is already set up for lending and insurance, and since it will be track-driven anyway.. a perfect fit. You just have to convince them it's a worthwhile charity or see if one of their members would participate -- it could be zero cost.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts