The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I applaud you trying something new, but please do not put the clutch dampener on any more cars...
UNLESS you can figure out a way to bypass it in all but 1st gear...

Having the clutch pedal go stiff and with the clutch half engaged for 1-5 seconds and having to guess when the clutch is actually engaged is detrimental to the clutch and makes the driver look incompetent.

now since lotus doesn't want to tell me what I need to remove it or even where its located... has anyone taken theirs off that can give me some pointers?( I read the BMW thing but thats for BMWs)

I tried to keep this on the down low but its getting worse I dunno if something is clogging the valve or what but it makes driving spiritedly difficult(which is why I bought the car:rolleyes:) and its the only real complaint I have, and I need some direction pronto

pushing in the clutch quickly ONCE results in a half engaged clutch I can't do anything with till it makes a fart noise to release the pressure... sometimes even slowly... I will be sitting at a light and when it turns green I try to push in the clutch and it feels like someone put a supra clutch in my car while I was waiting for the light to change

I just want a normal clutch that I can modulate myself -poke-

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Why on Earth would they put a clutch damper on an Elise or Exige? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes

and

I dunno its not like there are traction issues

its a cool idea in theory... just not in practice

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i'm afraid i have no idea what you're talking about - is this an '08 thing?..

·
Registered
538 Posts
This must be an isolated thing because I know plenty of 240 owners and none have complained about this issue. Have you taken it to your dealer? I pressume your dealer is on another island?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the cost of shipping it to another island + a bunch of fat hawaiian dock workers joyriding in my car = I will do this myself

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
I applaud you trying something new, but please do not put the clutch dampener on any more cars...
UNLESS you can figure out a way to bypass it in all but 1st gear...

Having the clutch pedal go stiff and with the clutch half engaged for 1-5 seconds and having to guess when the clutch is actually engaged is detrimental to the clutch and makes the driver look incompetent.

now since lotus doesn't want to tell me what I need to remove it or even where its located... has anyone taken theirs off that can give me some pointers?( I read the BMW thing but thats for BMWs)

I tried to keep this on the down low but its getting worse I dunno if something is clogging the valve or what but it makes driving spiritedly difficult(which is why I bought the car:rolleyes:) and its the only real complaint I have, and I need some direction pronto

pushing in the clutch quickly ONCE results in a half engaged clutch I can't do anything with till it makes a fart noise to release the pressure... sometimes even slowly... I will be sitting at a light and when it turns green I try to push in the clutch and it feels like someone put a supra clutch in my car while I was waiting for the light to change

I just want a normal clutch that I can modulate myself -poke-
Is this something new for the '08 cars? If this is like the valve units on the BMW clutches it should be easy enough to remove. You will have to gain access to the clutch slave cylinder (pull off the engine undertray and look on the forward side of the engine/trans. at the bell housing area) and check the point where the flexible hose attaches to the slave. If there is one of those valves there, remove the flexible line from it, then remove the valve from the slave and lastly reattach the flexible line to the slave. You will then need to bleed the clutch hydraulics and you will be good to go.

I was not aware Lotus was using these valves, but for those of you who have not heard of them, they are being used to keep people from side stepping the clutch during hard launches and damaging drivelines. If you side step a clutch pedal with one of these valves in place it slowly leaks down and only allows the clutch to engage slowly so there is no shock transmitted to the rest of the driveline. BMW owners hate these valves, and frequently remove them, but if the manufacturer finds you removed the valve, they will void your warranty.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Random comment, but they had these back in '95 on the DSM's (Talon, Eclipse). They were somewhere random in the car, not at the slave cyl if I remember right.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats the thing... the "farting" noise it makes comes from the front of the car, I don't want to start pulling off hydraulic lines till I know where it is
I know Mag was experiencing the same problem with his car...

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Some of the new Lotus cars have "launch control."

You push something in the car and it automatically revs the engine up and drops the clutch.

"Launch control" is a big deal in alot of new sports cars.

Launch control combines the effort of an electronic-driven accelerator and a computer program in the car. The software drives the accelerator according to engine specifications to make the car accelerate smoothly and as fast as possible, avoiding spinning of the drive wheels, engine failure due to over-revving, and clutch and gearbox problems. This feature is only available upon take-off. After the car is running at a certain speed, this computer program routine is disabled and everything is back to normal operation. Maybe.

Watch Top Gear.

It's all Jeremy Clarkson ever talks about these days...

Monsi's Lotus has it and it makes his clutch act weird the rest of the time.

Go from there...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well lotus launch control is only half electronic

there is a two stage limiter that your set so when you are in first gear with the clutch in you floor it and side step the clutch

the dampener lets the clutch engage at a set rate(supposedly... seems a bit random to me)

I have never actually used the LC btw

the problem comes when you shift into second and get back on it and your tach pegs out and you smell burning clutch cause the clutch decided it wants to wait 3-5 seconds before engaging fully

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Random comment, but they had these back in '95 on the DSM's (Talon, Eclipse). They were somewhere random in the car, not at the slave cyl if I remember right.
It is quite possible that the valve is located elsewhere, but on the Lotus it is going to have to be mounted either near the clutch slave cylinder or the master cylinder. It should be easy enough to find it by pulling the undertray and checking around the slave and following the hose and line back to the drivers side where it enters the rear of the rocker panel. If it isn't there, just pull off the the access panel on the front of the car and check around the master cylinder. The farting noise is most likely just the fluid being shot back into the reservoir and not actually coming from the valve.

Here is a link to the parts diagram for the clutch system and it does not show the bleed back valve: Lotus Garage - Clutch & Release Mechanism Is it possible they swapped the connector #2 at the master for the valve? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well I have an oil change coming up so i will snoop around under there

·
Registered
166 Posts
The check up front at the master cyl should only take 5 mins and you could do it with a white long sleeve shirt on. I'd start there, especially if you hear noise from up there.

·
Registered
688 Posts
There must be something wrong with your car, as I also have an 08 and have never noticed anything different than my 07.:sad: They both drive the same.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 08 does the same thing, the clutch engagement can be funky at times. My 05 never felt like that at all. Drive by wire is not my favorite either. I guess I'm just going to live with it. I have yet to use the launch control.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I haven't had this happen on my s240. Although when not up to temp I have noticed that I get a delay for a brief moment before it engages to the next gear. After at temp it's fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts