The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm REALLY close to order a new SC for my 06, I was wondering if I should go decat or not?

Would this screw up or help the tune (safety wise)?
Has anyone here has a before/after dyno?
Will the car start to smell fuel under throttle?
Backfire?
Anything else I should know?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
FWIW I'm planning on it. I think most agree theres at least a 5 whp gain on a dyno. I dont recall a dyno between just before and after. Decats smells if your outside and your car is idling, but inside i doubt you could smell it. A big thing you should worry about is a CEL. Theres a couple solutions do a search on CEL's and decat and you'll get some helpful threads.

Q

·
0 Posts
I just de-de-catted mine and stuck my 2bular sport cat back on.

I think the sportcat is better (butt dyno) then straight pipe overall, and the decat is better than the original setup.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just de-de-catted mine and stuck my 2bular sport cat back on.

I think the sportcat is better (butt dyno) then straight pipe overall, and the decat is better than the original setup.
Any smelly fumes? I know I can't live with a stinking car.

Side question does the sport cat throw a CEL?

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I thought Qball had an Exige S?

The smell isn't so bad. If you're in motion, you won't smell anything. Only when you're sitting still and the windows are down will you smell something. I'm just used to it. Might weld a sport cat in place, but I doubt it. The sound is intoxicating for me.

The sound is incredible with my set-up. It screams on high cam. I wish I could make a video.

I have weapon-R headers/de-cat pipe (all one piece of equipment) and a stage II exhaust

·
Registered
740 Posts
So I'm REALLY close to order a new SC for my 06, I was wondering if I should go decat or not?

Would this screw up or help the tune (safety wise)?
Has anyone here has a before/after dyno?
Will the car start to smell fuel under throttle?
Backfire?
Anything else I should know?
I see you have an '06...so a decat will result in a CEL, there are no working foolers available for '06s (only for '05s). But there seems to be one exception: the 4-2-1 Weapon-R Header including decat+fooler seems to work! Bavarian Motorist has an '06 with this header and last time (after 200mi if I'm correct), he didn't have a CEL.

So if you don't want a CEL with your decat, it will cost you $500 for a solution but you'll get a free header on top of this this CEL solution! However the Weapon-R header is is a 4-2-1 header, and most people say 4-1 headers (like the new ForcedFed header) are better suited for SC's.

EDIT: while I was typing, BM already posted. Damn, that guy is fast!:D

·
Registered
522 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong -- I'm thinking of going this route also -- not so much to increase HP but to reduce heat.

Would going decat result in a SIGNIFICANT heat reduction in the engine bay?

The added heat already messed up the crossgate shift cable twice -- so I'm considering going catless.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if you don't want a CEL with your decat, it will cost you $500 for a solution but you'll get a free header on top of this this CEL solution! However the Weapon-R header is is a 4-2-1 header, and most people say 4-1 headers (like the new ForcedFed header) are better suited for SC's.
Why does it not throw a CEL? :confused:

Will it fit a stock exhaust?

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I see you have an '06...so a decat will result in a CEL, there are no working foolers available for '06s (only for '05s). But there seems to be one exception: the 4-2-1 Weapon-R Header including decat+fooler seems to work! Bavarian Motorist has an '06 with this header and last time (after 200mi if I'm correct), he didn't have a CEL.

EDIT: while I was typing, BM already posted. Damn, that guy is fast!:D

The ECU is still very sensitive. I had no CEL for 300 miles, then I left the car idling for about 20 minutes to warm it up, and it came back on yesterday during my autocross. CELs take shorter than 300 miles to come on if there's a problem with a mod, so I am gonna assume it was the idle.

I am going to re-set it and try again. If it comes back again, I'll call Weapon-R and complain, but if not, then we're good.

They claim that it does work for 06+ cars, but that the ECU is much more sensitive. We'll see...

I really love this product and want to keep it, but CELs will give me a heart attack, so if this doesn't work, I'll weld a sport cat :p

I wonder if tuning could help?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Dammit Bavarian Im over and out of this thread / Regarding tuning I know charlie can elimnate that cat code

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Why does it not throw a CEL? :confused:

Will it fit a stock exhaust?

There is a little metal piece that you screw into a little port in the cat-pipe. You plug one of the o2 sensors into this hole and the o2 sensor is supposed to be removed from the excess exhaust flow, thereby not throwing a CEL. I imagine they all work this way.

This device costs extra. About $50.

I'm gonna find out what caused my light to come back on. For all I know, it's not even related to the exhaust, but that's wishful thinking.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Regarding tuning I know charlie can elimnate that cat code
R U sure? Will this solve all passing the emission test problems or are is the emission testing point able to see that CharlieX hocus-pocus thingy! Probably not legal though, so not on the market..

Q

·
0 Posts
I thought Qball had an Exige S?

The smell isn't so bad. If you're in motion, you won't smell anything. Only when you're sitting still and the windows are down will you smell something. I'm just used to it. Might weld a sport cat in place, but I doubt it. The sound is intoxicating for me.

The sound is incredible with my set-up. It screams on high cam. I wish I could make a video.

I have weapon-R headers/de-cat pipe (all one piece of equipment) and a stage II exhaust
Oops. you're correct. I saw the title and assumed it was an Exige S, but I don't see why it would be much different than a supercharged Elise.

That was another reason I de-de-catted... the smell was VERY gassy. I always stunk like gas after driving.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That was another reason I de-de-catted... the smell was VERY gassy. I always stunk like gas after driving.
Ok that settles it, I can't live with a smelly car.

How about a sport cat then? Any good? What about the smell?

Q

·
0 Posts
Ok that settles it, I can't live with a smelly car.

How about a sport cat then? Any good? What about the smell?
My 2bular sport cat is great.

Also, my CEL eliminator seemed to work for a while on the S with the sport cat, but when I decatted, it didn't work.

I also tried the sticker city CEL eliminator, and it didn't work on the S.

The Sport Cat is a good mix of the benefits of a full cat and a decat (i.e., sportier sound, a little better power, minimal gassy smell, and more tolerable noise level).

Q

·
Registered
566 Posts
I went with the 2bular sport cat, and I am happy with my choice. Make sure you get it coated when you order it.

Combined with a rear panel delete and removal of heat shielding, I have seen a drop in cruising water temps and a noticeable difference in throttle response.

·
Registered
740 Posts
YUK! Smelly things: neither attractive nor healthy!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts