The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My custom decat pipe. Cost me 8$ for some header paint and about 30 mins to pull it out, cut it apart, gut it, and weld back together. The heck with dropping 300$ on one!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm, awfully quiet in here? :confused:

Is it cause I didn't spend big bucks on a new pipe and then drop a few hundred to get it installed?
If so, that's not my thing. I do most all my own work on my own stuff as well as side jobs for other folks for beer money.

Yeah there is still the spot for the cat, I almost thought about just welding a piece of pipe there, but I didn't want to screw around all afternoon with getting it to fit... and really for not any benefit.

For the 2nd O2 sensor, I just used am 18mm sparkplug antifoul adapter, they are cheap and I happened to have one on hand. I've done this on a few other vehicles and usually the ECM is happy with it.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Cool! I love homemade fixes, if the fix is unseen and works all the better. Hell my motor mounts are homemade and work great.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
183 Posts
Still passes visual inspection! I just cant get myself to ruin a good working converter,since their more expensive than a decat pipe to replace!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't have inspections here :D I tried to keep the honeycomb intact so I could sell it (worth about $60, but that didn't happen. Ended up busting it out with an air chisel!)

·
Registered
274 Posts
More power to you if you can do it yourself. Looks like a pretty good job to me and if it works properly, kudos to you. Just hope you don't have to go back to OEM for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure yet, haven't had time to put it back together. Spent the morning at the hardware store buying about $30 of bolts, u nuts and screws to hold all the panels under the car. Previous owner used coat hangers, drywall screws and a few of the stock bolts :mad:

I do know the car sounds like complete crap with no cat or muffler though, like Farmall super M crap.

After the decat.. Did you feel any difference?
1. Power
2. Sound
3. Acceleration
I don't plan on going back to OEM, though it looks OEM enough that it would pass an inspection.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a decat pipe on my Lotus and it sounds great with the stock header and stage 2 muffler. I have another car, a turbo Saab 900 and that has just a hollowed out cat like what you did. THAT car is very very loud but it also has a full 3" pipe. Anyway my point is, a hollowed cat will make the car louder and usually a less desirable exhaust note (no tone to it) but yes, they are much cheaper and faster. I'd pull it out when you have time some day and weld a pipe inside of it so it sounds much cleaner. It'll also flow a bit better, but who's counting if it's only a N/A car like mine lol

Congrats on the quick "upgrade." Any check engine light with the stock ECU tuning and non-fouler? I have a charlieX ecu tune that was supposed to jive with a cat delete but tripped the 2nd O2 sensor code. The non-fouler worked to cure it though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts