The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a decent glass cleaner (I've tried searching on here)?

I just washed and polished my Elise for the first time since I bought it a couple of weeks ago and used Stoners "Invisible Glass" on the windows. I'd forgotten that I'd bought this before and was disappointed then. It's rubbish! It's left my windows smeary.

Is there a good glass cleaner available in stores in the US? When I lived in the UK, I used Autoglym's glass cleaner which is amazing. It's dries and is then polished off and leaves the windows amazingly clear. Is there a similar product available here?

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,684 Posts
Can anyone recommend a decent glass cleaner (I've tried searching on here)?

I just washed and polished my Elise for the first time since I bought it a couple of weeks ago and used Stoners "Invisible Glass" on the windows. I'd forgotten that I'd bought this before and was disappointed then. It's rubbish! It's left my windows smeary.

Is there a good glass cleaner available in stores in the US? When I lived in the UK, I used Autoglym's glass cleaner which is amazing. It's dries and is then polished off and leaves the windows amazingly clear. Is there a similar product available here?
I use Invisible Glass, and it works great. What are you using to apply/dry? I used to use newspaper - works great, but leaves newsprint all over your hands. I now use the disposable paper shop towels sold by Griot's - absolutely no lint. Spray directly on glass, one paper towel to clean, the other to dry. Two towels do all my glass.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
A brand called 'Safeway' - aerosol can. You can get it at Target. Dirt cheap.

Can I recommend something else? There's a waterless wash/wax product called SmartOne. You can get it on Amazon.

Spray it on your glass. Wipe. Let it dry to a haze. Buff with a microfiber towel. Leaves it CRYSTAL and I mean CRYSTAL clear. The best I've ever used.

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
On inside w/s, to deal with plastic gassing, you cannot use ammonia-based products. Those will simply move the haze around.

Vinegar-based stuff does work, however.

Safeway, as above, which is 3M, works well. My current fav.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use Invisible Glass, and it works great. What are you using to apply/dry? I used to use newspaper - works great, but leaves newsprint all over your hands. I now use the disposable paper shop towels sold by Griot's - absolutely no lint. Spray directly on glass, one paper towel to clean, the other to dry. Two towels do all my glass.
I used a microfiber cloth. I'll try paper towels today.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are using aerosol kind? I find aerosol glasses cleaners to be awesome, but I use Windex like the dad from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, so I just use it because I have so much.
I was using a squirt bottle.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much Invisible Glass do people use?

I wonder if I'm not putting enough on. I tend to use it lightly to avoid getting it on my paintwork (I don't know if it strips the wax off).

Do people use a light misting or a heavy soaking?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I've used three different things...

invisible glass used to be my goto on the Elise because it did the best job at removing all of the off gas. It took two applications on the inside to get it all (completely wipe down and clean once, then repeat) and I found you HAVE to use newspaper...paper towels smear. The back of the bottle mentions it recommends newspaper because a lot of other things have "wetting agents"...fwiw

I also love the mother's glass cleaner that chris mentioned-I use it now on my Evora since offgassing isn't such a problem, and it works great even with paper towels.

The nice thing about both of these is they didn't leave marks on the dash when drops got on it.

I have also used isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle that does a fine mist..you have to do small sections because it evaporates quickly, but it works well at leaving a crystal clear glass.

Unfortunately over time I've found that for the windshield it usually ends up best when you clean it twice...

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think some people have said clay bar used on the glass got a lot of crap off too (even when it looked clean after using normal glass cleaning solutions). Anyone here do this?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[snip] ...and I found you HAVE to use newspaper...paper towels smear. The back of the bottle mentions it recommends newspaper because a lot of other things have "wetting agents"...fwiw
Can I use an online newspaper? I don't buy an hard copy paper anymore!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts