The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered Emira on launch date and it's time for me to submit my spec....... I choose Touring package after deciding I will only track the car maximum 8 times a year maybe 6

My big question is Manual VS Auto???

I test drove Evora GT with Auto its pretty decent Auto tbh, it's engaging enough (not as good as PDK of course)......

This is first time for me buying a Lotus, I always wanted a Manual Lotus, however for my usage do you think I should go for Auto?

• Here it gets sometimes to 40-48C and humid where I live (not sure if it affects Manual)
  • It won't be my only car as I will have another daily car with it however I plan to use Emira as much as possible
  • I might get into traffic once every week or once every 2 weeks, the city have large number of traffic signals.
  • I bought Emira for one purpose and that's: fun to drive factor
  • Emira will be my last Manual car (if I pick the Manual)

So based on these what you guys think, is Manual good for me or does someone have different experience, cause 90% of Evoras sold here are Automatics, so I thought maybe I'm missing a disadvantage here I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
'19 GT350 and '68 Mustang currently... waiting for an Emira!
26 Posts
Sounds like manual is what you should get simply because you always wanted a manual lotus.

I would normally opt for a manual for any performance car, but I've had a bug for a while now to try paddles, so 99% sure I'm going with the auto.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The Evora GT manual is the best feeling cable-shifted manual I’ve ever driven. Clutch is a good weight, too. Enormously better than the Elise/Exige. So if you want a manual Lotus, go for it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright looks like Manual it's, thanks for the feeback..... contacted the dealer and submitted my order just now in Selca Blue with Touring package and Manual gearbox, sadly was told Manual cars steering wont have yellow stitching or the yellow accent (only plain black Alcantara or leather), but should be an easy aftermarket job to do it anyway....

Can't wait to drive this thing, btw it sounds and looks amazing in person, definitely reminds me of my previous 458 but in smaller form, the interior is very nice place to be, so easy to get in and out of also!

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,722 Posts
It’s your car, get what YOU want. I never quite understood why people as for suggestions like this when you’re the one driving it and not them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’m of a bit newer generation and love paddles and when I do track paddles are the only way to go. I’m Auto/Paddles all the way. Manual is fun but honestly outdated and a major burden in traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s your car, get what YOU want. I never quite understood why people as for suggestions like this when you’re the one driving it and not them.
Reason is I didn't experience this unlike Evora owners who did, it's main reason why we ask, there might be things I don't know about, like high temperature effect on Manual reliability or clutch might be too stiff for someone not used to owning a Lotus..... Either way there's no harm of asking owners who have experience

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m of a bit newer generation and love paddles and when I do track paddles are the only way to go. I’m Auto/Paddles all the way. Manual is fun but honestly outdated and a major burden in traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm similar to you tbh, I prefer good dual clutch Auto on track, but depends on the car, if it's hardcore fast car like RS Porsches or Ferrari or Mclaren for sure Auto for me, if it's slow car like GT86 or Miata on track then Manual it's....

But the reason I'm considering Manual here is because I won't track the car much and on the road where you go to jail if you drive fast, I think Manual will add to the experience and makes it more enjoyable on the road.......

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think people ask for others input to get a different perspective when making a decision. Ultimately it is the owner who makes the decision but having additional data might change the outcome if they had not known. For example, I've never had a car with turbo so I've asked for input as I have no frame of reference when evaluating. With that said, when people ask should I get red or blue, then that does drive me crazy :)

And for the OP, I definitely wanted manual as I enjoy my the stick driving the Nismo .... but then after driving the C8 with the paddles, I enjoy that as well. I'm still 50/50 right now with maybe a hair leaning over toward the manual. Good luck on making your decision

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
@TRX250EX Manual is the way to go for you. Be way cooler when you around a bunch of fancy cars. Will be more rewarding for the kind of driving you do and owning down the road. Evora GT is a very easy manual to drive and Emira will be at least as easy to drive.

That being said I'd go for the IPS. Manual is not as important to me and my wife cannot drive a manual confidently.

·
Registered
709 Posts
You can buy any other car with an automatic; you can probably count on one hand the number of cars you can buy that still offer a manual. Then there's how many of those can you afford. I've had manual cars almost exclusively for the last 50 years. Muscle cars, sports cars, econo cars, 4x4 off-road vehicles, you name it. My Alfa Romeo that I have now is an automatic because they didn't have a manual as an option, otherwise it would have a manual too. Driving a manual in traffic is not a big deal. You're either just keeping it 2nd or 3rd for slow traffic, and poking along, or push in the clutch if you have to come to a stop. That's it. No big deal. You don't even think about it, you just do it automatically (no pun intended).

Being able to hold a gear or shift when you want to is a very nice feature of a manual. Yes you can do that with an automatic and paddles, but it just doesn't feel the same. The newer automatics have 8 or even 10 gears, so the gear ratios are different from a 6 speed manual. On the manual, 5th or 6th gears are usually geared tall for cruising on the freeway or long trips, so the gears you actually use the most when cornering, are 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Because they are geared taller than those same gears in an 8 or 10 speed automatic, they're more useful to keep in gear longer for low to moderate cornering. You tend to hold them longer before shifting, which means you're in or closer to the sweet spot in the power and torque curve of the engine more often than not.

It's just a different experience, and one which I enjoy greatly because it allows me to feel like I'm part of the process instead of just making a request to a computer. That's my 2 1/2 cents.

·
Registered
'19 GT350 and '68 Mustang currently... waiting for an Emira!
26 Posts
Because they are geared taller than those same gears in an 8 or 10 speed automatic, they're more useful to keep in gear longer for low to moderate cornering. You tend to hold them longer before shifting, which means you're in or closer to the sweet spot in the power and torque curve of the engine more often than not.
This seems counter intuitive to me, can you clarify? I'm not sure how holding a gear longer could possibly be more likely to remain in the sweet spot vs having more gears within the same range? Seems more likely that you would be extending the range of rpm that is required when you have fewer gears to choose from, which is thus more likely to be outside of the peak curves....

Not that this matters in this case since both boxes are 6 speeds, and 2nd,3rd, 4th are all similar unless google deceives me haha

·
Registered
709 Posts
If you're holding a gear longer, that means you're most likely higher in the rpm range and moving around in it, which is where the sweet spot is. Less gear shifting. The sweet spot is a range, typically between 3,000-5,000 rpm, where you are closest to the top of the torque curve. Depending on where you're driving, you can often stay in 3rd gear in that range and be just fine. You only have to shift down into 2nd if you're coming into a slow curve like a 25mph or something like that. 3rd gear is good for pretty much anything reasonable. 4th is faster, but at that point it may not be wise to be going that fast on the street, unless you're on a stretch of road that allows for that with minimal or no traffic. I'm thinking of mountain roads mostly.

These are just my thoughts and feelings about driving with a manual. Max speed isn't always the metric I'm shooting for. Sometimes it's just the road, the scenery, the sound and the whole process I enjoy. There's just something about shifting a manual box that feels better to me than pulling on a paddle with my finger tips, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
You can buy any other car with an automatic; you can probably count on one hand the number of cars you can buy that still offer a manual.
THIS - all this.

I know you already ordered, so this is late, but whatever, it's confirmation of a good choice.

And with the tq/electric revolution coming, if you AT ALL enjoy a manual, get it while you still can. You'll have "automatics" forever after soon.

·
Registered
426 Posts
5-7 years from now, if you choose to sell it , you will find that not one person ever called or inquired about your listing of your Automatic Emira for sale because you mentioned it is an automatic.

5-7 years from now, if you chose to sell it, your phone will already have 15 voice mails left on it inquiring about the manual V6 Emira that you just listed for sale ......only 15 mins prior.

Look at 1990's Toyota Supra listings for sale ..... can't give away any automatic Supra's, yet for manual Supra's, bidding wars up to 85k-100k for the manual cars.

Murciulago manuals ( rare) = big premium around 25% to 50% over single clutch autos.

Ferrari Manuals ( model dependant) but anywhere from 25% to 100% premium over single clutch autos and dual clutch autos.

and the same for most other brands,

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I ordered Emira on launch date and it's time for me to submit my spec....... I choose Touring package after deciding I will only track the car maximum 8 times a year maybe 6

My big question is Manual VS Auto???

I test drove Evora GT with Auto its pretty decent Auto tbh, it's engaging enough (not as good as PDK of course)......

This is first time for me buying a Lotus, I always wanted a Manual Lotus, however for my usage do you think I should go for Auto?

• Here it gets sometimes to 40-48C and humid where I live (not sure if it affects Manual)
  • It won't be my only car as I will have another daily car with it however I plan to use Emira as much as possible
  • I might get into traffic once every week or once every 2 weeks, the city have large number of traffic signals.
  • I bought Emira for one purpose and that's: fun to drive factor
  • Emira will be my last Manual car (if I pick the Manual)

So based on these what you guys think, is Manual good for me or does someone have different experience, cause 90% of Evoras sold here are Automatics, so I thought maybe I'm missing a disadvantage here I'm not aware of?
I have a IPS 2017 400, I love not shifting, and no clutch in stop and go traffic. I've had my fill of shifting... Paddles if you need to be engaged, or just let the Lotus decide...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sounds like manual is what you should get simply because you always wanted a manual lotus.

I would normally opt for a manual for any performance car, but I've had a bug for a while now to try paddles, so 99% sure I'm going with the auto.
Last month I replaced my daily driver with a BMW 340i. I tried hard to find a manual one of these but had to settle for the 8 speed automatic. Never, never, EVER again will I buy an automatic car. I deeply miss my manual daily driver. I should have held out longer.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts