The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
'19 GT350 and '68 Mustang currently... waiting for an Emira!
26 Posts
Last month I replaced my daily driver with a BMW 340i. I tried hard to find a manual one of these but had to settle for the 8 speed automatic. Never, never, EVER again will I buy an automatic car. I deeply miss my manual daily driver. I should have held out longer.
my use will be track and fun drives... and will have a manual gt350 and probably keeping a manual 68 mustang to drive as well... i like my grand cherokee as a daily. I'd agree I wouldn't try this if I didn't have other manuals to drive too though.

that zf 8 speed gets solid reviews for track work in the supra, what don't you like about it?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I ordered Emira on launch date and it's time for me to submit my spec
Wow. I am 10th in line at my dealership, and don't expect to be asked for a spec for quite a while. Have you driven an Emira? Are you willing to order one sight unseen?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone know if it will have typical modern manual tranny features like autoblip and nolift shift?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My guess is no.
You may be right, which won't affect my decision to go manual, but would be a mistake considering the competition has a phenomenal shifter with modern features (GTS 4.0).

·
Registered
229 Posts
One of the attractions of the manual in the Emira is that it is one of the old school ones. I tried a car with auto rev matching and it was entertaining but I decided it was not as fun.

That makes me wonder if there are any drivers out there who thinks synchros are a step too far and that we all should be double clutching for the true manual experience.

·
Registered
26 Posts
we should all be running carb'd engines on bias ply tires, have manual drum brakes, and manual steering for a true drivers experience lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
trade in your a/c for a swamp cooler too!
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered Emira on launch date and it's time for me to submit my spec....... I choose Touring package after deciding I will only track the car maximum 8 times a year maybe 6

My big question is Manual VS Auto???

I test drove Evora GT with Auto its pretty decent Auto tbh, it's engaging enough (not as good as PDK of course)......

This is first time for me buying a Lotus, I always wanted a Manual Lotus, however for my usage do you think I should go for Auto?

• Here it gets sometimes to 40-48C and humid where I live (not sure if it affects Manual)
  • It won't be my only car as I will have another daily car with it however I plan to use Emira as much as possible
  • I might get into traffic once every week or once every 2 weeks, the city have large number of traffic signals.
  • I bought Emira for one purpose and that's: fun to drive factor
  • Emira will be my last Manual car (if I pick the Manual)

So based on these what you guys think, is Manual good for me or does someone have different experience, cause 90% of Evoras sold here are Automatics, so I thought maybe I'm missing a disadvantage here I'm not aware of?
Hi and congrats for ordering your EMIRA and got a small question for you that will help. I am planning to get an EMIRA as well here in UAE but when they sent the deposit receipt to sign it may i know what is mention next to the vehicle description ? is it Lotus Emira or Emira V6 First edition. Thanks

·
Registered
Adding lightness with an angle grinder.
143 Posts
Look at it this way. It wont be the fastest car at the track. It wont even be the fastest car in its class at the track. So, the whole point of buying a Lotus in my opinion is enjoyment.

For me the really fast great dual clutch transmissions are amazing. When I drive one i'm always impressed for the first few shifts. But after that its mundane. I ENJOY driving a manual. That is what driving a modern lotus is about.... enjoyment. If you're buying one of these cars there are clearly other options with flappy paddles that are faster at the track. So, why bother with a flappy paddle in a Lotus unless you dont enjoy a real manual transmission? The flappy paddle is not going to help you keep up on the straightaway vs whatever new Mac, 911, Hellcatfirewagon comes out. But, the manual will always put a smile on your face.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Look at it this way. It wont be the fastest car at the track. It wont even be the fastest car in its class at the track. So, the whole point of buying a Lotus in my opinion is enjoyment.

For me the really fast great dual clutch transmissions are amazing. When I drive one i'm always impressed for the first few shifts. But after that its mundane. I ENJOY driving a manual. That is what driving a modern lotus is about.... enjoyment. If you're buying one of these cars there are clearly other options with flappy paddles that are faster at the track. So, why bother with a flappy paddle in a Lotus unless you dont enjoy a real manual transmission? The flappy paddle is not going to help you keep up on the straightaway vs whatever new Mac, 911, Hellcatfirewagon comes out. But, the manual will always put a smile on your face.
I don't care about the straights, they WILL point me by in the corners haha

·
Registered
364 Posts
my use will be track and fun drives... and will have a manual gt350 and probably keeping a manual 68 mustang to drive as well... i like my grand cherokee as a daily. I'd agree I wouldn't try this if I didn't have other manuals to drive too though.

that zf 8 speed gets solid reviews for track work in the supra, what don't you like about it?
I know, the ZF8 gets rave reviews and that was one reason why I broke down and bought an auto. But it is not at all acceptable to me. It's mostly in the wrong gear when I want to move with authority. It shifts slower than I select with the paddles. The engine hangs at high RPM's when I wind it up. Completely and totally different than a manual. I KNOW that I am a slower driver because of the ZF8. Maybe not in a quarter mile drag, but that's not what I drive for.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I know, the ZF8 gets rave reviews and that was one reason why I broke down and bought an auto. But it is not at all acceptable to me. It's mostly in the wrong gear when I want to move with authority. It shifts slower than I select with the paddles. The engine hangs at high RPM's when I wind it up. Completely and totally different than a manual. I KNOW that I am a slower driver because of the ZF8. Maybe not in a quarter mile drag, but that's not what I drive for.
This is exactly what I was referring to in my post on page 1. Even though automatics can shift faster in a straight line, it's when you're cornering that they aren't quite as good. I have the ZF8 in my Alfa Romeo, and I experience the same issues you do with it when cornering.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I dunno, looks like it does just fine cornering in the vid I posted above. I'd actually bet that most drivers wouldn't even use 2nd in a manual in the same areas he's able to use it just because it has a higher chance of upsetting the car in a manual. He's able to downshift while trailbraking into the corner. Carrying more entry speed but still being able to use the torque of the lower gear on exit is a pretty big benefit to cornering IMO.

His pdk car makes me REALLY drool though haha

www.facebook.com/Chadbmw/videos/543471893416682/

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
I have had 3 manual Lotus. Loved them all. Sounds like you need to communicate with the 90% of folks in your area that chose an IPS car. For me, its a no brainer. been driving manuals my entire life. Took wife's Miata GT PRHT auto to track a few years back and had a blast driving a slow car fast. tranny did its job once I learned its abilities and desires. Now I have driven her new 2013 Evora IPS on track and was VERY impressed. So much so that i didn't bother with the paddles after 1 st session. I does its job and if I want to change gears manually, the paddles are faster than my feet will ever dream of being.
My Emira, when its time, will with 99.9% probability, be an IPS car or the DCT if there is a major HP jump by 2024/25.
Get what you want...funny thing is, if you take it to the track...you will become hooked!! I said goodbye to my Elise after a day in my Evora.....and I'm quickly approaching the age where I'm set in my ways or too old with back problems to drive manual in most people's eyes. Or too old to EVER consider that a modern automatic could be the superior tranny. BTW, neither is me, I just realize its a technology to take advantage of, far more so than some dumbass tablet sized screen velcroed to a dash with haptic touch screens.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts