The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Deciding on two cars

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  thegoat 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

Yes I'm a new member and have owned 911's and M3's but have decided to go back to my roots and jump into an Elise or Exige.

I'm hoping I can get some constructive input from some knowledgeable folks as to which car to pursue.

05 Elise with 15k miles, has the standard touring pack, no sports pack, halogen lights, fairly standard.

Asking approx $29k

06 Exige with 13k miles that comes with the sports pack, no touring package. Owner mentioned that the clutch was replaced last year and the a light weight flywheel installed. This car has been tracked 2/3 times but maintained regualry with oil changes done every 3k miles.

Asking approx $35k

Both look immaculate from the pics.

Should I be weary of a car that has been tracked, the owner seems to be an avid member here and fairly well known.

Which would you go for and what should be my next steps.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
I would have no reservations about buying a car that's been tracked once or twice a year (assuming those were non-competitive track days). These cars were built for that.

Needing a new clutch at 13k is a bit odd and would make me favor the Elise, unless there's a good story behind the clutch replacement.

#4 ·
It depends on what you are going to do with the cars...they are slightly different.

If you're interested in tracking the car often, the exige is a better fit for you (the exige is a slightly better performing track car). Plus, the lack of touring pack makes the car a little less cushy

If you're planning on doing mostly street with only a little bit of tracking (or none), then the elise with a touring pack may be a better fit (plus the removable hardtop option..which is nice for cruising

Either way, the prices are about right....although, for 29K, you may be able to pick up an elise with a few more options (sport pack, hardtop, starshield, stage II exhaust etc)

Hope this helps

#5 ·
Welcome :wave:

All Exige's have the sport pack. Between the two cars you have listed I would take the Exige just for the suspension.
If I were you I would look for an Elise with the sport pack It's the best value.

#7 ·
Thank you so much! This forum is awesome.

I was hoping you guys would come back with a recommendation towards the Exige, since it's the color and spec I really want. Not having electric windows does not concern me. I'd like to track the car when the oportunity permits so it sounds like this Exige would be perfectly suited.

I will email the seller regarding the clutch replacement. My ultimate goal is to add a supercharger from one of the many manufacturers but I'll need to research that.

Should I negotiate on the price or does it sound very fare, since it is out of state I'll need also need to take into consideration tax and titling when I bring the car back.

Many thanks and should i be aware of anything else.

#10 ·
i would go for the enthusiastically owned and tracked car - its is probably better sorted and maintained. typically enthusiast tracked cars are "better" than a factory set-up car...

in the end - get a clean car with no stories, worth paying a little extra! if its been set-up properly and maintaned for the track then even better!!

#11 ·
If you at all prefer the body style of an exige over an elise, go with the exige - or you will lust after exiges for the rest of your days.

if it doesn't matter, both cars seem to be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.