The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the days are getting longer and winter seems to be in its last throws around here. Its time to get that Elise I've always wanted. Brand new is a little out of the budget, but I have 2 more reasonable options:
- A new 07, never left the dealer lot. Touring pack + hardtop + full warranty. CDN$55K
- A used 06, 6000 miles, every possible option, touring, sport, and track packs. Stage 2 exhaust, LSD. No warranty. CDN$45K

I drove an Elise last fall that had touring and sport packs. I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable it was, except for getting in and out. I thought I would be happy with it as a daily driver.

Yesterday, I was in the 06 with track pack ... it was fun, but I seriously think my 45 minute commute would be exhausting with the stage 2 (excuse the pun). I would have to get the original exhaust put back on. I will probably never take it to the track. Maybe for some laps, but I'm not interested in all-out racing. I would probably get the suspension dialed back to the mildest setting and leave it there for daily use.

A question to you guys: Does the track pack present any other issues to someone like me wanting an Elise at the tame end of the sprectrum for daily use?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...that's one heck of a deal on the canadian spec '06, but for long drives even with the stock exhaust you're best-off with a pair of earplugs - i wouldn't be so quick to write off the value offered by its limited slip differential and track pack...

...how do you feel about the colors of each of the two cars you're considering?..

·
Registered
357 Posts
different exhaust --> cheap

ear plugs --> cheaper

10 k saved

·
Registered
389 Posts
That's almost 2 dollars per mile-not-driven that you would be paying for the new one. (10K dollars, 6K miles)

I think 10K is a chunk. I've been a fan of "slightly used" for a long time. Let someone else take the hit. 6000 miles isn't very much. :up:

·
Registered
821 Posts
That's almost 2 dollars per mile-not-driven that you would be paying for the new one. (10K dollars, 6K miles)

I think 10K is a chunk. I've been a fan of "slightly used" for a long time. Let someone else take the hit. 6000 miles isn't very much. :up:
+1 couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I'd take the 06. The only thing that I have had fixed under warranty is the clutch switch (i.e., the switch on Cdn models that requires you to depress the clutch when starting) plus a couple of loose things tightened (probably less than $150 total in warranty repairs). You could probably replace the entire drivetrain for way less than $10k. If you are concerned about warranty you can check into some type of extended or third party warranty (though I suggest you read the fine print with these).

I had never tracked a car before the Lotus. Since my first experience I have been bitten by the track bug. I didn't think I would need the track pack when I bought the car since I thought I'd be using it for spirited weekend adventures and not the track. I regret that decision now and wish I had got the track pack.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
179 Posts
:nanner2:Get the track pack and call me, I'll swap out the suspension with mine and set it up nice and soft for ya.:nanner2:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. 2006 was the first year for the Elise in Canada and it looks like there are a few 06's coming off 3 year leases and selling in the C$45k range. Turns out the one with the track pack has only been driven at the track. Does the stage 2 exhaust make the car have a rougher idle?
Maybe its worth waiting for a colour I like, too.

Tim

·
Registered
821 Posts
definitely get a color you like!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I may be crazy, but I find the sport suspension to be a more comfortable ride than the 'touring' version.

The sport suspension soaks up bumps and remains rigid and planted under bumpy conditions, whereas my car with the 'touring' suspension just bounces in the same set of circumstances.

I'd pick 3-4 colors you know you like and go from there. As an FYI, Starlight Black is the fastest color.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Does the stage 2 exhaust make the car have a rougher idle?
Nope, no effect on idle, engine operating conditions, or increase in power. Just louder.

I may be crazy, but I find the sport suspension to be a more comfortable ride than the 'touring' version.
:thwack: Yes, you are crazy - if you thought you'd get away with a "touring suspension" comment.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I think you are loosing it Tim, I pulled a "touring" comment recently and you seem to have missed it, I was tensing myself for a thwack :shrug:.
:thwack: Yes, you are crazy - if you thought you'd get away with a "touring suspension" comment.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Biffster, I sent you a PM

Tass

Well, the days are getting longer and winter seems to be in its last throws around here. Its time to get that Elise I've always wanted. Brand new is a little out of the budget, but I have 2 more reasonable options:
- A new 07, never left the dealer lot. Touring pack + hardtop + full warranty. CDN$55K
- A used 06, 6000 miles, every possible option, touring, sport, and track packs. Stage 2 exhaust, LSD. No warranty. CDN$45K

I drove an Elise last fall that had touring and sport packs. I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable it was, except for getting in and out. I thought I would be happy with it as a daily driver.

Yesterday, I was in the 06 with track pack ... it was fun, but I seriously think my 45 minute commute would be exhausting with the stage 2 (excuse the pun). I would have to get the original exhaust put back on. I will probably never take it to the track. Maybe for some laps, but I'm not interested in all-out racing. I would probably get the suspension dialed back to the mildest setting and leave it there for daily use.

A question to you guys: Does the track pack present any other issues to someone like me wanting an Elise at the tame end of the sprectrum for daily use?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks for the input. 2006 was the first year for the Elise in Canada and it looks like there are a few 06's coming off 3 year leases and selling in the C$45k range. Turns out the one with the track pack has only been driven at the track. Does the stage 2 exhaust make the car have a rougher idle?
Maybe its worth waiting for a colour I like, too.

Tim
It has only been driven at the track?? 6000 is a lot of track miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts