The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In anticipation of getting my car back from the body shop (didn't happen today unfortunately) I bought a set of kodiak RTs in 16x7 and 17x8 from a board member, cleaned all of the plastidip off of them and polished them up, and ordered a set of toyo proxes R1Rs in 225/45 16 and 245/40 17 from tirerack. I got a bend fixed on one of the wheels too.

Anyhow, when the tires came in I brought them to the guy who fixed the bend to mount. One of the 16s couldn't get the inside bead to clear the "hill" on the inside of the rim. He tried and tried and it wouldn't clear.

I then took it to mister tire, and they couldn't get it over the same hump. The front counter guy told me it's because it was a 17" wheel (it wasn't, he measured from the outside, not the bead, and when I held it up to the 17" wheel on my subaru, he was dumbfounded by how much smaller in diameter it was).

Anyhow, I'm guessing the tire was molded defectively, either with too much girth on the bead or the inner bead was molded smaller than 16". Tire rack told me the tire is on back order with no ETA, though they're warranteeing it. I just really want to get the wheels for the car when I get it back.

Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FYI, I needed to take it to a big rim shop where they deal with this kind of thing all the time with 30's on donks. It cost me $55 to mount/balance one wheel and tire, but it was worth it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts