The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
This has been missed and needed forever. I wonder if it sticks with the original and teaches you how to shift on every gear change.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Love it. Very tempting.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Not Ford Ecoboost powered.
JLR have moved away from Ford drivetrain sourcing. I4 & I6 engines (petrol & diesel) are JLRs own, built in the UK. This started years ago before the new Defender.
In future V8's will be sourced from BMW & they have further drivetrain ventures planned with BMW inc electric.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks very similar to the LR2 and LR3. I prefer the original still. Looked way more rugged than the new mall crawler style.
I concur the Land Rovers that SAS chose to use in the North Afrika campaign is iconic, a Bren gun would look out of place atop the newest more urbane version.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
To me, LR is saying "We want a premium for selling you a miserably unreliable vehicle. You buy on looks and will feel the pain."

·
Back to the Future, again
6,155 Posts
To me, LR is saying "We want a premium for selling you a miserably unreliable vehicle. You buy on looks and will feel the pain."
I've never heard a RR owner tell anyone to buy one. Everyone tells me to stay away.

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was true of the 1990s Disco I had, but my 2012 Evoque with the Ford turbo 4 has been very good except for a bad transfer case at 45K miles. But if LR is going back to using their own drivetrains all bets are off and treat it like a BMW, only keep the car while under warranty.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
Is this body on frame or is it basically a car underneath?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
That was true of the 1990s Disco I had, but my 2012 Evoque with the Ford turbo 4 has been very good except for a bad transfer case at 45K miles. But if LR is going back to using their own drivetrains all bets are off and treat it like a BMW, only keep the car while under warranty.
Uh, that seems like a petty big exception. Was it at least under warranty??

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
"This Defender, like its Range Rover cousins, is now an aluminum monocoque chassis, something that Land Rover says is three times stiffer than anything else the brand has built until now."
Translation: It's a square car, not an offroad vehicle, as if you couldn't already tell. The stiffer you make the body/frame, the more suspension compliance you need to maintain contact over uneven terrain. There's a reason real trail buggies are floppy disasters with awful on-road handling, but they creep over rocks, crevices, and stumps with great aplomb.

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
I remember when my ex-girlfriend's husband (a great friend of mine) bought her some Rover vehicle in the 90s.

He was an anglophile.

I looked at reviews, crash tests, frequency of repair data, etc.

I can't find that poem now....

but I do know it contained a rhyme about being skittish about buying British. I liked that line.

g

---

Her car and her husband's Jaguar were in the shop so often that I seemed to always do the driving. Which was OK.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I remember when my ex-girlfriend's husband (a great friend of mine) bought her some Rover vehicle in the 90s.

He was an anglophile.

I looked at reviews, crash tests, frequency of repair data, etc.

I can't find that poem now....

but I do know it contained a rhyme about being skittish about buying British. I liked that line.

g

---

Her car and her husband's Jaguar were in the shop so often that I seemed to always do the driving. Which was OK.
Sounds like a limerick variation on the Fiat acronym.

As I've always had a healthy fear of the prince of darkness, and if Lotus didn't put a Toyota motor in its cars I would have never bought one - or two.

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
Yes, reluctance was quickly overcome with Toyota/Yamaha.

Yay!!

·
Illegal Alien
4,620 Posts
I concur the Land Rovers that SAS chose to use in the North Afrika campaign is iconic, a Bren gun would look out of place atop the newest more urbane version.
A Defender that can not be rebuilt in the Serengeti or the back 40 with a hearth, an anvil and a hammer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts