The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been doing a lot of research on hardtops and wanted to know what the definitive answer to fix this squeak is. Some say tighten the front two mounting points first, others say the rear first. Some say it just needs a good tightening, others say don't tighten too much or some damage can be incurred/may also be the cause of the squeak. Everyone also has their preferred brand and type of lubricating solution.

Anyone have definitive answers irrespective of all possible variables (in a perfect world, right?)? Does anyone have information on which lubricants absolutely shouldn't be used on the gaskets/seals? I remember petroleum based lubricants were insidious for the T-top weather stripping on MR2s.

Squeak is a squeak, I can live with that; but I'm more afraid of potentially damaging or cracking the hardtop like many have mentioned. :panic:

·
Registered
905 Posts
For you, where's the squeak? Front side? Rear side? Above one of the side windows?

·
08 Elise SC
142 Posts
I've always been kind of surprised there isn't a "fix those squeaks/rattles" thread, FAQ or guide here.

On a car as simple as the Elise, it seems like they would be a relatively simple fix.

I've got three on mine that I'd like to look into some day:

-Hard top squeak
-Squeaks on left/right side of dash around or behind the A/C vents.
-Squeak that appears to come from the part covering the roll bar (at the panel joint)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think the squeak from the hardtop and the squeak from the part that covers the roll bar are the same squeak. The hardtop just makes it happen on cars where it doesn't happen regularly. The rear hardtop seal pushes on that rollbar cover panel and makes it squeak somehow.

I have not had the rollbar panel off so I do not know how it attaches but I think there is a definite fix for that.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I can tell you definitively how the rollbar squeak gets solved. Install the OEM harness bar. Not the solution everyone wants, obviously, but the extra torsional rigidity does the trick.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
My hardtop squeaks and none of the advice on LT seems to have helped. However on the highway it doesn't squeak at all and that is where I do most of my driving.

It squeaks going over uneven city pavement and also on the ramps in the underground parking at work.

In the summer with my softtop the only noise I hear is an occasional rattle from the driver's window.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For you, where's the squeak? Front side? Rear side? Above one of the side windows?
Mine seems to be coming from behind the driver's seat. Both rear anchor hooks still have the felt intact. I remember that I did all anchors evenly, but tightened down the fronts first. And I tightened them with a 3/8ths ratchet until I felt it stop. I would certainly say it wasn't overtightened or anything over 25 ft/lbs. I do notice that on the outside, the upper portion of the hardtop doesn't seem to line up with my body's weatherstripping. It sticks out about .5 mm.

My hardtop squeaks and none of the advice on LT seems to have helped. However on the highway it doesn't squeak at all and that is where I do most of my driving.

It squeaks going over uneven city pavement and also on the ramps in the underground parking at work.

In the summer with my softtop the only noise I hear is an occasional rattle from the driver's window.
I have the exact problem! Maybe the ambient noise is too loud to notice during highway speeds, but I only notice the loud squeak when I go pass dips or speed bumps in my parking structure. My structure also has REALLY uneven pavement that almost makes the car sway/shimmy and that's when I hear it the most.

Does anyone have tips or suggestions for lubricants that have been tried and true?

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
I also have this same problem. Only hear it when driving slow over bumps. Sounds like the drivers side part of the hardtop. Haven't tried to fix it yet.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
On a car as simple as the Elise, it seems like they would be a relatively simple fix.
Best laugh so far today.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've always been kind of surprised there isn't a "fix those squeaks/rattles" thread, FAQ or guide here.

I've got three on mine that I'd like to look into some day:

-Hard top squeak
-Squeaks on left/right side of dash around or behind the A/C vents.
-Squeak that appears to come from the part covering the roll bar (at the panel joint)
From the "uberthread":
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f115/uberpost-read-here-there-information-uberthread-25131/#post530877

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an 05 Elise with Hardtop and Sector 111 harnessbar and the squeak in the roof has been coming from the rear passenger side connection. I've noticed this squeak during the past 6 months. All bolts are tight. I would also love to hear of anyone's solution to this.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have gotten rid of the roll bar panel squeak with silicone spray. I shot it along all edges. Over spray is a bit messy to get off but did the trick (at least for a while, then re-apply)

·
Registered
831 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Where exactly to spray it?
Silicone spray can seriously mess up plastic trim. Not all of it, but some that was specifically marked as anti-squak that I tried left permanent stains on plastic. If you use any I'd seriously recommend trying it out first on a piece of trim that can't be seen.

What about something like white lithium spray?

·
Registered
878 Posts
hardtop squeak

So, I've been doing a lot of research on hardtops and wanted to know what the definitive answer to fix this squeak is. Some say tighten the front two mounting points first, others say the rear first. Some say it just needs a good tightening, others say don't tighten too much or some damage can be incurred/may also be the cause of the squeak. Everyone also has their preferred brand and type of lubricating solution.

Anyone have definitive answers irrespective of all possible variables (in a perfect world, right?)? Does anyone have information on which lubricants absolutely shouldn't be used on the gaskets/seals? I remember petroleum based lubricants were insidious for the T-top weather stripping on MR2s.

Squeak is a squeak, I can live with that; but I'm more afraid of potentially damaging or cracking the hardtop like many have mentioned. :panic:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/rattle-squeak-thread-76057/#post1321940

I posted my solution a long time ago. Moleskin between the plastic mounting surfaces. The squeak was most noticeable after the car had been sitting in the hot sun.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts