The Lotus Cars Community banner

What's your next sports car after the Lotus? (or is there one?)

• Ferrari - V8 family (308, 328, 348, 355, 360, 430, 478, etc.)

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Ferrari - other (F40, Enzo, 512, California, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lamborghini Gallardo

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Lamborghini flagship (Murcielago, Aventador, Diablo, etc.)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Porsche 911 (all types)

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Porsche - other (Cayman, Boxster, Panamera, etc.)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Dodge Viper

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Chevrolet Corvette

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Acura NSX (new or old)

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Lexus LF-A

• Nissan GT-R

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Audi R8

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • BMW (M3, 1M Coupe, M6, Z4, M Roadster, etc.)

• Japanese sports car (370Z, G37, Miata, S2000, etc.)

• Mercedes (SLR, SL, SLS, AMG Blackline)

• Classic sports car (MG, Morgan, Sunbeam, Triumph, etc.)

• Classic muscle car (Camaro, Mustang, Chevelle SS, etc.)

• Other exotic (Noble, Rossion, Mosler, etc.)

Votes: 22 17.3%
  • Non-sports car (Honda Accord, Cadillac Escalade, etc.)

• Keeping the Lotus (please explain if you are not replacing or will buy in addition to)

Votes: 38 29.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Back to the Future, again
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Per popular request, here's the poll on what you are looking to buy after the Lotus. There's also an option to keep the Lotus if you never intend to get rid of it.

Some choices are updated to reflect the answers and thoughts of readers of the previous poll, such as a classic sports car category and other types of cars added, along with a non-sports car category and muscle car territory. Only thing I ask is that if you write in a choice, it be something that exists currently or reasonably expected to exist, not something made up.

So, a convertible or targa Evora is reasonable, but a 650hp Kia supercoupe is probably not reasonable (yet).

Have at it!

Personally, I think I might keep the Lotus for a while, but if I am going to get another sports car afterwards, it might have to be either a special edition Evora because I love the way it looks all fixed up with the paint scheme and spoiler or a classic muscle car of some sort.

Honestly can't afford a supercar like a Ferrari or Lambo... even if I can swing the buy in (with some planning), I cannot afford the insurance and upkeep to allow myself to really enjoy it the way it should be enjoyed. Well... maybe I could... but not without great sacrifice to other parts of my life such as motorcycles and... eating.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
The poll is where? In the event, I have always wanted a Morgan. If price didn't matter, Bristol Fighter.

Yeah, I see it now. Took a while to load for some reason.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I will keep my Elise, but the Ultima GTR 720 has long been an item of lust for me. Same raw ironman (no electronic over-ride the driver goodies) car, but with a higher power figure. I actually loath cars like the Nissan GTR, which compensate for lack of driving skill. When road and track tested the car, they found even the non-driving office staff was able to turn good times in the Nisan GTR. Part of the fun of driving a sports car is reaping the rewards when you do everything right, and being a bit embarassed when you mess up. This is not to imply all Nissan GTR owners are bad drivers (some are actually very good), but it would always make me wonder how much I owed my fast lap time to the computer, versus my driving.

·
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, unlike the last poll, this one is not multiple choice, because it is meant to be the next car, not the next CARS, which will replace the Lotus in the garage. So you only get to pick one. I didn't check the box to make it public though... so you guys have to say it in your reply post on what you chose, if you wish to make it public.

20 choices weren't enough though, I kept thinking about what to put in, and I decided to also break down some of the choices more since there would be a differentiation from entry level supercar like the Gallardo or Ferrari V8 to the flagships in price and exclusivity.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Where's the choice for another, different Lotus? I've owned 9. My next sports car has a 99% chance of being another Lotus.

I suppose if I go for another Europa, Elan or 7 I could go with classic sports car, but it's not too informative to throw all those together (makes more sense to lump all the lambos together and blow out the classics a bit).

Or if I go for a current era Lotus, in my view none of them, not even the Evora, qualify as exotic, so no place to go there.

I feel so disenfranchised.

·
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't put another Lotus in there as it is all too ethereal right now with the Elan, Elite and such being 2015ish at that. I also would like to see what other choices people would make as the current crop of Elise/Exige go away from age, accidents, etc.

Should have put in the Evora, but that's not too hot of a seller in general... but with 20 choices, and the early morning... that was the best I could do.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I didn't put another Lotus in there as it is all too ethereal right now with the Elan, Elite and such being 2015ish at that. I also would like to see what other choices people would make as the current crop of Elise/Exige go away from age, accidents, etc.

Should have put in the Evora, but that's not too hot of a seller in general... but with 20 choices, and the early morning... that was the best I could do.
For so many people, "Lotus" exists in time starting with the Elise/Exige on.

For many of us...7, Europa, original Elan, Elan Plus 2, original Elite, Europa, Europa twin cam, second gen Elite, Eclat, Elan M100, Esprit G Bodied, Esprit Stevens Bodied, V8....are part of the Lotus world and again, in my case, when I go with another sports car, it almost certainly would be one of those. And I wouldn't for a minute throw them into one big pile with classic MG's, Triumphs, Jags, etc. Anymore than I'd throw all the Lambos, Maseratis, Ferraris and Alfas into one big pile.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Where's the choice for another, different Lotus?
+1

I think a lot of people are waiting for the new Esprit. Personally, I'm looking for an '01-'04 Esprit.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Not sure if you'd really call it a sports car, but an Aston Martin would be my choice. Maybe a hybrid Jag if the $$ isn't loose for the Aston.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Gotta be 6MT for me. I'm surprised with the GT-R votes. I voted for Porsche. Considering either a 991 cayman S or a 997.2 GT3.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Unless I won the lottery I would not likely be able to afford most all the selections but the dream would be to have an orange Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera. I drove one of these and a F430 last year at Vegas but I love the angular shape of the Lamborghini.

·
$3(uR3 u$3r
430 Posts
Keeping the car for a while. Nothing exists that screams "buy me" like the Lotus did. Oh, and that is also under a 100K.

Really want a Pagani Huayra just to get groceries. I can dream, can't I?

·
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My buddy had a Viper and he loves the car but after he checked out my Lotus, he wants one for a second sports car that is different than the Viper. I thought about the Viper but the flickability with the huge torque was concerning in as far as throwing it in a corner with reckless abandon as I would with the Lotus.

I still think that there is really no direct replacement for the Elise or Exige out there.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
The only reason I'd go away from Lotus is so my wife could ride/drive. She has no problems with manual trans: in fact, if I brought her a slushbox she would kill me in my sleep. Problem is she can't get out of a Lotus (fibromyalgia), so she won't get in. Cayman or Subie STI or the like would be required. For now, she likes her Triumph Stag, so the Lotus stays.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Well... maybe I could... but not without great sacrifice to other parts of my life such as motorcycles and... eating.
I can get along very well without motorcycles. Eating is another matter.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts