The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I spoke to Monkeywrench, and the guy I have wroked everything out with is at the SEMA show untill the end of next week. Since he was the contact, and had all of the information, I need him to send me a copy of the contract. Unfortunatly I can't talk to him again for another 10 days. Oh well. My turbo dreams must be put on hold for a short while. I guess I can handle it since Lotus put my Elise dreams on hold for months and months, and years? I will manage however, the development time is by far the shortest around, at about 6 weeks. I can't wait to get this going. It will be a very exciting time for me.

I feel like a kid waiting for Chirstmas. :p

·
Registered
282 Posts
10 days will go by like nothing! :up:

Good luck with it.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Well....it should be possible to reach the guy during the 10 day period. They should be able to put you in touch with him with no huge effort. Or else have Randy track him down as he (and other Elisetalkers) will be at the same show.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stan said:
Well....it should be possible to reach the guy during the 10 day period. They should be able to put you in touch with him with no huge effort. Or else have Randy track him down as he (and other Elisetalkers) will be at the same show.
Well if you are in the neighborhood, you should attend the show. His name is Matt and he is from Monkeywrench racing. They will have project Celica and MR2 parts. They have a MR2 that had 302 wheel hp, BTW.

It is not a big issue, he is working on more than one client at the show, and besides, he can't write the contract from the show. He has other more important things to work on, like showing that he actually ahs experience on these engines, something that not everyone can say.

I can't wait! When it is done Stan, you can take if out for a quick run if we run into each other. If it is slower, you don't have to buy one for your car....

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>If it is slower, you don't have to buy one for your car....<<

Thanks. I run my car in an SCCA "stock" class so that would not be allowed. But if the Elise is let into Street Mod 2 to play, then it's doable. But in that instance it would need more oompth than this particular option as wild motor swaps are fine in that class.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
TT, I would make sure you get something from them signed.

About 4 months ago they called and spoke to my husband wanting to use our car for this project as well....so you're not the only preverbial fish in the sea.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OneFastLotus said:
TT, I would make sure you get something from them signed.

About 4 months ago they called and spoke to my husband wanting to use our car for this project as well....so you're not the only preverbial fish in the sea.
I know, but you aren't receiving your car untill spring, if I remember correctly. They mentioned that there was another person who wanted a turbo kit on their car, but since I had a car first, they would do mine first so to speak.

I am very aware to get something in writing, afterall this is a 50,000 dollar car we are talking about, even if the engine does come from a 20,000 dollar car. I plan to get a detailed parts list, and estimated completion date, a fixed price, and a short term warrenty.

They were one of the few to offer any type of warrenty, something that I attribute to their experience, and reputation. Good luck with your car when it arrives. I will keep everyone posted on the progress of the car.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Incorrect.

I *have* two cars.

Ive had my orange one since July. Im picking up my yellow car Wednesday of next week. It's been at the dealer for a week now....I wanted to pick it up yesterday but couldn't due to work. :(

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, then it was another person. I think that there are several of us who will be investigating the possibility of the TURBO. I thought it was you, guess I was wrong. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I personally know Matt at Monkeywrench. Not to say contracts are not needed :) but he is a trustworthy person.

And yes, life shuts down during SEMA. Including mine. I will check in from time to time.. but my internet access is very limited right now. Sorry if I don't return emails or answer PMs.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
TT,

I'm the other guy who contacted them about a turbo system. I just received my car on Thursday. They are located only a couple miles from my house (I drive by the shop everyday to and from work). I want you to keep us up to date with the progress because I may be next.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I noticed some lag measurements in the latest issue of Sport Compact Car. While crusing at 2500 RPMs if you floor it their car could hit full boost 2 1/2 seconds later, 15 PSI. It could hit 5 - 7 PSI in around 1 1/2 seconds.

From a 4000 RPM cruise, flooring it resulted in full boost in about one second. And 5-7 PSI in about 5-6 tenths of a second.

This is part of what I have been trying to get across - there are throttle response characteristics to consider. I think their test car has a 2 liter engine, I'll find out for sure. This would tend to cut lag compared to ours.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
but even if there is "lag," u may still be making more horsepower during that lag time over the same engine n/a...
lag is nothing more than the amount of time it takes to reach full boost from a given point.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>but even if there is "lag," u may still be making more horsepower during that lag time over the same engine n/a... lag is nothing more than the amount of time it takes to reach full boost from a given point.<<<

Yes...and this is not a big deal when you are going straight ahead. Except that NA engines of a bit lower output will tend to be able to run alongside. That is if you have a 300 HP 1.8 liter Elise, it could be matched in a straight line by a somewhat lower HP motor of greater than 1.8 liter capacity.

When midcorner and when exiting a turn some of these issues can create new challenges for the driver. The Elise already has some corner exit issues to challenge the driver.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
yeah, if ur a roadracer i would be very careful about what if any kind of turbo i would put on there...
im sure with the right size turbo, u would learn and adapt to some of the new characteristics of the car, if thats the route u wanna go.
the last thing u want is a turbo that hits like a ton of bricks if ur a roadracer....

·
Registered
677 Posts
What model of turbo were they testing? The model that Mean TT selected, the Garrett GT28RS / Disco Potato, supposedly reaches 5 PSI of boost at 2000 RPM and full boost at 3000. Mean TT will only be boosting to 6 PSI initially, so "full" boost should be available during most driving conditions with little or no noticible lag.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>What model of turbo were they testing? The model that Mean TT selected, the Garrett GT28RS / Disco Potato, supposedly reaches 5 PSI of boost at 2000 RPM and full boost at 3000. Mean TT will only be boosting to 6 PSI initially, so "full" boost should be available during most driving conditions with little or no noticible lag.<<<

The test used a 2 liter Nissan SR20 equipped with the "Disco Potato" turbo.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts