The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

As I work my way thought my "new" '84 Esprit, I've made my way to the carbs. A test fire had raw fuel pouring out of the DHLA 45m carbs. The car has been sitting for the past 6yrs. I deduced that the needles are gummed up, and the carbs need a rebuild.

I just removed a pair of well-tuned delorto DHLA 45e from my 66 MGB that has one of our crossflow aluminum heads. I took them off because I am developing a fuel injection system that I plan to sell to the masses. So now I have these 45E delortos on my shelf in the barn.

Does anyone know if I can simply swap the 45E's in place of the 45M's, or is the jetting all wrong? I've tried doing the google (haha), but haven't come up with any definitive advice.

Thanks everyone.

Dave
Aka "Toga Elise"

·
Registered
524 Posts
(Snip)... Does anyone know if I can simply swap the 45E's in place of the 45M's, or is the jetting all wrong? I've tried doing the google (haha), but haven't come up with any definitive advice.
No, you can't simply swap the 45E's onto the 910 Turbo! The jetting would be wrong, but the important differences are way more significant than just jetting. Jetting alone would be easy.

The Federal 45M's are 3-circuit 'PowerJet' bodies that are sealed to allow them to be pressurized by a blow-through turbo system. The 45E's are 2-circuit bodies that are NOT sealed, and are designed to operate in the normal depression (vacuum) condition typical of a naturally aspirated engine.

Also, Lotus worked directly with Dellorto to develop the version of the 45M used on the 910. Things like the progression hole pattern is made to Lotus' specification. So even if you successfuly (??) converted your 45E's to accept pressurization and rejetted them appropriately, you wouldn't have the tweaks Lotus developed for the 910 application.

Besides, rebuilding the 45M's would be much less work and expense than converting the 45E's. Both scenarios should include a full rebuild, plus the 45E's require a number of new parts to make them M's. Parts that may not even be available new any longer.

Rebuild your M's!
It's the easiest and most cost effective way to go, not to mention you'll end up with what the 910 really needs instead of a kluge.

Regards,
Tim Engel

·
Registered
524 Posts
Only the Federal 45M was a 3-circuit 'PowerJet' carb. The early UK/ ROW Esprits used 40H pressurized 2-circuit carbs, and the later versions used the 45M pressurized carbs with the 'PowerJet' circuit blanked off. So a 2-circuit carb (ie, 45E) could be jetted to work, but it still wouldn't be pressurized.

The jetting side of making a 45E work is possible.

The pressurization conversion is also possible, but it requires more extensive work to the carb, and several replacement parts... including the top covers and the smaller covers/ pressure adaptors that fit on top of the top covers. All of which may be unobtainium as new parts.

Regards,
Tim Engel

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you're going to rebuild the M's the cheapest way to go is getting a set of kits from ebay. There's a guy that ships them from Italy, includes all required components and it should cost about $80 before shipping for both. I think they are official kits but I don't recall.

Be sure to get the kits that specify they're for a turbo Lotus application.

Hmm, the item page isn't working but you can see the seller and item here:
DELLORTO 34 FRD REBUILD KITS items in ALFA1750'S CARBURETORS PARTS STORE store on eBay!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've purchased from Alfa1750 on eBay, and he's a good guy. However, he's more into Alfas and Italian cars, and doesn't know anything about Lotus. If you know what parts you want, he can deliver and his prices are good. If you have a Lotus question, he can't help.

Matthew Cooper at Eurocarb Ltd not only knows Dellorto (and Weber) carbs, he also knows the Lotus applications. If you have a question, he can help. For Lotus guys, he offers the best one stop shopping for Dellorto parts.
Dellorto and weber carburettors online

Regards,
Tim Engel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts