The Lotus Cars Community banner

What is your opinion of the demo cars?

• Why did they produce demo cars anyway?

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Demo cars should have stayed 90 days, enforced by Lotus!

Votes: 30 69.8%
  • Demo cars shouldn't have been produced until Spring 2005.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • 1) Convince LCU to build demos. 2) Receive demo car. 3) Profit!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow, a lot of the demo cars aren't even lasting 30 days!

Could someone remind me why they called them demonstration cars to begin with? Exactly what was being demonstrated?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I needed to drive the demo to see what I thought of the car. I think that Lotus should have loaned/leased the demos to the dealers so that they could not be sold.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
NMRJock said:
I needed to drive the demo to see what I thought of the car. I think that Lotus should have loaned/leased the demos to the dealers so that they could not be sold.
In a sense, they did that with the group of 111S's that toured the country- If someone wanted to drive a car that would be very similar to the fed car and knew where one was, they could have driven one. I don't see the point in the fed demo's either. With a years + worth of units sold, it's only purpose could be to solidify orders, and with demand where it is, any fall-outs would be immediately filled anyway.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Genjuro said:
Wow, a lot of the demo cars aren't even lasting 30 days!

Could someone remind me why they called em demonstration cars to begin with? Exactly what are was being demonstrated?
I have a question? what dealers have sold their demo's I thought only one did and got in trouble with LCU.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
_JD_ said:
In a sense, they did that with the group of 111S's that toured the country- If someone wanted to drive a car that would be very similar to the fed car and knew where one was, they could have driven one. I don't see the point in the fed demo's either. With a years + worth of units sold, it's only purpose could be to solidify orders, and with demand where it is, any fall-outs would be immediately filled anyway.
I didn't get a chance to drive one of those 111S's. If it came to MI, that's news to me. I understand that if I drop out that my spot will quickly be filled, but is that really the right way to handle a customer?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
NMRJock said:
I didn't get a chance to drive one of those 111S's. If it came to MI, that's news to me. I understand that if I drop out that my spot will quickly be filled, but is that really the right way to handle a customer?
No, I suppose you're right. I'm a bit biased b/c I got a chance to drive both. I'm sure if I was in your shoes, I would be upset. My only point was that the demos were in the country, and while it may have required some travelling and determination, Lotus did make the cars available for drives.

The nice thing about the 111S's was that the dealers allowed them to be taken out on solo drives and they did'nt have any time restrictions or rev restrictions.

If your dealer does'nt have a demo yet, get on the phone to your closest dealers and see if they'll give you a ride- it's really worth travelling for :)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Genjuro said:
Could someone remind me why they called em demonstration cars to begin with? Exactly what are was being demonstrated?
Well, one could say that these cars are demonstrating the differences between various dealers...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Re: Re: Demo car survey

Miguel said:
I have a question? what dealers have sold their demo's I thought only one did and got in trouble with LCU.
I'm going to have to go to board on this one. I know of:

Matheny (EDIT: Unconfirmed, ocnflicting informaiton as of 9/1/04
Criswell

I'd like to get a check in from the board, I've heard of a few others, but I can't confirm, so I won't mention them.

I want to state my opinion again: I am fine with the demo cars being sold. I just wish that they were never produced in the first place, as they weren't needed to sell the car.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Demo car survey

Genjuro said:
I'm going to have to go to board on this one. I know of:

Matheny
Criswell

I'd like to get a check in from the board, I've heard of a few others, but I can't confirm, so I won't mention them.

I want to state my opinion again: I am fine with the demo cars being sold. I just wish that they were never produced in the first place, as they weren't needed to sell the car.
Autostrada is selling their demo before 90 days. They are letting people test drive the current demo though. Their second demo comes in soon after. Basically everyone behind the first demo got bumped one car back because they ordered a second demo.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Even though these dealer have sold the demos, are they actually letting the buyers take delivery or waiting until the 90 day period is over? In some sense, this does not violate Lotus's policy and is smart because they will get a better price than they would in three months.

However, it does defeat the purpose of a demo in some sense, if no one can drive it. :(

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Silver Star has told me twice that they will be selling their "demo" by the end of September, which would be less than 45 days after they got it. And it's not available for test drives. And they said: why do we need a demo, we have 2 years worth of deposits already.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: Re: Re: Demo car survey

huggy bear said:
Autostrada is selling their demo before 90 days. They are letting people test drive the current demo though. Their second demo comes in soon after. Basically everyone behind the first demo got bumped one car back because they ordered a second demo.
This is absurd!! Not your post, mind you... but the fact that someone would order a care under the auspice that it's a demo. They will sell that car when it suits them for a premium.

Foul!!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Demo car survey

Genjuro said:
This is absurd!! Not your post, mind you... but the fact that someone would order a care under the auspice that it's a demo. They will sell that car when it suits them for a premium.

Foul!!

AS I HAVE STATED MANY TIMES BEFORE, AUTOSTRADA IS AN UPSTANDING DEALERSHIP. I am paying sticker, and no more. I am also receiving free 1000 miles service and the like. I am not paying over sticker, period. As for myself, I will not sell the car once I receive it. Again, this was all a timing thing, and would have been fine if there were no delays. I am essentially paying a "premium" in the sense that I have rented a car for 30+ dollars a day, and will continue to untill I take delivery of the car.

Also, I spec'ed the car personally, and I didn't receive the car as the dealership ordered it. I placed the order in January. Autostrada will be a highly productive dealership, and will sell more Elises than other dealerships. They are going to want to have "eye candy" in the showroom as much as possible. Also, I think that it is important to remember that if the cars were delivered in April when they were supposed to, there would currently be no demo cars. They would all be gone. I think the way Autostrada planned thier allocations, and thier upstanding business practices can not even be compared to other dealerships. Overseas in Dallas is a joke, with their ideas of "EXTRA CARS?!" Are you kidding me? All of those cars are sold over MSRP, and I know they will be a low allocation number dealership.

In my opinion the high allocation dealerships should have a higher percentage chance of having a car on their lot. I believe Autostrada has received 7 or 8 cars. If they choose to buy a demo car, so that new potential customers can see the car, so be it. I think that is the point of them in the first place, to impress the public, and nothing is as impressive as this car in person! :)

I do not mean to seem agressive, but any negative comments about a dealership like Autostrada is simply wrong. Everyone who has dealt with them has been more than satisfied, but impressed with their service. I count myself in the group of the lucky few who has had the chance to do business with them, and would recommend them to all potential customers. They really are that good. :cool: :bow:

Also, I have the pick up date for the car also. There is nothing left to chance. I have to take a trip to New Orleans for a business convention, and will pick the car up when I return. The deliver date was established before the car even came in. You just don't see that kind of service everywhere.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'm a member of the autostrada fan club as well, and second all that's been said. Autostrada is an ethical business.

Cade

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Genjuro said:
Exactly what was being demonstrated?
Isn't it obvious? They were demonstrating the supply/demand model:
  1. Lotus supplied the dealers w/ demos,
  2. The Dealers demanded 15k over MSRP for them,
  3. Lotus demanded that the dealers not sell anymore demos before 90 days,
  4. The Dealers supplied an elevated middle finger back to Lotus and did it anyway,
  5. Meanwhile, we demanded to know what the f*ck was going on, and
  6. Lotus supplied the usual lack of info!

·
Registered
498 Posts
It was nice to have a demo to drive. I like to test whatever I buy especially when I am not familar with the product. The test drive sold me on the car. Otherwise, I would rely on the writeups in the car mags which is highly subjective. I can not blame the dealers for selling the demos as the are in business. Remember that the dealer paid for the demo and that the salespeople do not get paid to give test drives. If the demo is sold, the salespeople can focus on selling more cars. I doubt if there are any Lotus only dealers out there?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So in summary I'd like to say that my personal opinion is:

1. Demo cars were not required for this vehicle before production was able to be ramped up and stabilized.
2. Perhaps there are those that joined the list a bit later, and need to drive the car to be sure, so produce demo cars around the turn of the year to satisfy that need.
3. Having a dealer sell you a car at MSRP isn't anything special IMHO, it's what you should expect. Don't thank someone, simply because they don't bend you over.
4. I believe the first service is mostly covered by the warranty. Chris, Derek, etc.. can you confirm?
5. The act of ordering a second demo car is as bad as spitting in the customers face. The dealer is well aware those on the list have been waiting for YEARS to receive their car, to simply bump them down for their own reasons is absurd, and shows a lack of respect for those customers.

Anyone can agree or disagree we me, that's fine. But know this:

If I were a dealer; I would treat you, those that insured Lotus brought the vehicle to the US, as my own.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Demo car survey

Genjuro said:

Foul!!
Autostrada has been great. They have never hidden the fact that they were going to hold the demo for a certain amount of time and then sell it. I believe all the listers at Autostrada knew this would happen. AFAIK they aren't selling over MSRP and have repeatedly said that they won't do anything of the sort. I beleive them.

I think ordering a 2nd demo has a neglible effect on subsequent listers anyway or at least I hope that is the case.

Anyway I didn't want this to be a bash on Autostrada because they haven't done anything wrong. AUTOSTRADA IS THE GREATEST, BESTEST MOST WONDERFULEST DEALER IN THE WORLD. Notice I'm kissing their asses now because I don't want anything to be construed as unfairly negative. LOL.

Oh and a demo really isn't necessary.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I guess I am in the minority of people that thought that Lotus should have delivered customer cars first and get around to demos when they have fullfilled the initial demand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts