The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<a href="http://sector111.com/images/products/product_comparisons/wheel_comparison_2_2008.pdf">Weight Chart from Sector 111</a>

Are these wheels really used by race teams?? Seems unlikely unless they are just used for scrub or transport.

They're almost 2 lbs heavier fronts and over 2 lbs heavier rear from my existing Lotus Sport (LSS) wheels.

Too bad, I like the spoke design on the Denag, just not the weight.

TRMotorsport wheels are considerably lighter even than the LSS wheel
<a href="http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=F166532400BML&wheelMake=TRMotorsport&wheelModel=F1&wheelFinish=Black+w%2FMach+Lip&showRear=yes&selectedRear=F177537400BML&autoMake=Lotus&autoModel=Exige+S&autoYear=2007&autoModClar=&filterSize=All&filterFinish=All&filterSpecial=false&filterBrand=All&filterNew=All&sort=Brand">TR F1</a>

But are TR F1 track worthy?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
From my understanding the one issue with the TR F1 wheels is that they are 7.5 in the rear as opposed to 8 that you can get with some of the other wheels on the market.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the TR F1 are basically same size replacements but lighter than the Lotus Sport LSS wheel.

With Hoosiers and my current RWHP at 255 or so, I don't think wider wheels would benefit that much if they weighed that much more.

Think the question is does that extra .5" width and +2lb weight provide more benefit over the LSS wheel -- I'm just not sure. Rotational mass has a big impact on a car's track performance in so many aspects from corner speed to braking to acceleration.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Would you consider the Rotas in 15/16? Many seem to use those to good effect with wider tires.
Be good,
TomK

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
The TR F1's are awesome looking!!!!....I would be concerned of scratching the lips on the track?

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What tires are those? Looks like you had squeeze them on the fronts (based on sidewall angle).

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Heavy? Somewhat, but the added width and strength is why Denag campaigned these wheels on their Exige in the Supertaikyu series.

The pic above came from a race I attended at the Twin Ring Motegi track. They were bending stock forged wheels and commisioned these along with the BBS wheels we used to sell - which were also slightly 'heavier'. The advantage that comes from the offsets are also key to the performance of these wheels. Don't underestimate the importance of good offsets.

We had several customers test these wheels with Yoko slicks at our last track day. Everyone of them raved about the performance. Of course we could argue that the slicks were what really got these folk pumped...but the wheels did not seem to take away from the experience.

BTW: Don from DMH has just picked up a set. He is a pretty hard charging 240 Cup owner....We've also just sent a few sets to a race team in Asia.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
if you already have LSS, one of a few reason you would change em is for the style, they are already light and look quite decent for a factory wheel

recently went for some TD wheels for its fit finish style and availability

turbophil had a good point about light wheels VS actual driving skills

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shinoo, I'm still waiting for my RAC monolites with 888's to arrive (pre-paid some time ago), early and Mid July have now passed by? Any firm ETA on my order?

Are you saying I should cancel my RAC monolites order to get the Denag? ;)

Thanks, Rob

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
shinoo, I'm still waiting for my RAC monolites with 888's to arrive (pre-paid some time ago), early and Mid July have now passed by? Any firm ETA on my order?

Are you saying I should cancel my RAC monolites order to get the Denag? ;)

Thanks, Rob
The RACs shipped from Japan a couple of weeks ago. We hope to have them in 3 weeks or so.

Sure, we can send you the Denag instead - you'll save a bundle. BTW: the wheels are made at the same factory in Japan. We'll cancel your RACs and send you the Denags tomorrow.....;)

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We hope to have them in 3 weeks or so.
Not exactly filling me with confidence...I have an event in August and this is going to be cutting it REAL close, so I may take you up on switching to the Denags and saving a bunch of money.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Would you consider the Rotas in 15/16? Many seem to use those to good effect with wider tires.
Be good,
TomK
one should also consider wheel rigidity and not only weight. i dont know much about the denag but some people who put cheaper lighter cast wheels on thinking they are adding performance but the lighter wheel might be loosing some in wheel flex instead.

Where the wheel would flex under load thus compromising the tire and having it shift from its original location and/or making it contact the pavement unevenly.

imho :)

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can assure you the RAC Monolites are not cheaper. For a 1950 lbs car, I doubt wheel flex is a big issue in any wheel. But for curb impact it might be, i.e. a quick off and then back on - done that before in my old STi and it did put a small ding in the rim (not enough to be of concern) -- but that was a 3200 lb car and it was a BIG lip and I never lifted (AWD, just stay on it).

Thanks for the tire info, will probably stay with Hoosier since they are easy to get.

Wow, that's a bunch of CF -- what no CF dash ;) -- nice!

·
Registered
28 Posts
ugh, i didnt say denag or RAC or rims of that caliber were cheaper... as you can see i quoted someone who was asking if you would consider ROTA....

so i dont know why you are putting me on blast for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts