The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I was thinking about them also, like the style, but after I found out how heavy they are (hoping those weights are wrong) I don't think it is a wheel I want.

Too bad, like the look.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Hey John,

I must admit, I like the look... Not too concerned about the weight though... If you like 'em, buy 'em. The incremental weight won't make any difference on your car anyway:evil:

Be sure to take pics when they come in!

Best,

Phil

PS- Another option for ya- I like my heavy:rolleyes: TD wheels so much, I just purchased another set today-- and they're CHEAP- only $725 for a set:cool: At that price you can have a set for all four seasons:D

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Here are some...

Denag Racing Wheels Now Available!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've just received in a shipment of wheels that are currently being used by the Denag Racing team in Japan for their Exige. These are manufactured by the same company that makes our StellaCORSEs, RAC Monolites, and SJ Leggero wheels. They are fully forged, very strong, (Denag Racing is known for their ability to break wheels) and reasonably light.

If you're in the market for a brake upgrade, these will fit our AP Racing brake kits, and are very reasonably priced. These retail for $2900 in Japan. We're offering them at $1900 for the set.

Sector 111

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Your web site says $2100 a set?

But they weigh 2 lbs heavier per wheel over the LSS and only get ya .5" extra width. 2 lbs per wheel of rotational mass is significant -- unfortunately we can't really tell where most of the rotational mass resides -- if it is closer to the wheel center then it will have less impact on performance.

1 lb of rotational mass = about 10 lbs sprung weight on the chassis/suspension x 4 and you have 40 lbs of sprung weight

But $1900 is tempting...

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Your web site says $2100 a set?

But they weigh 2 lbs heavier per wheel over the LSS and only get ya .5" extra width. 2 lbs per wheel of rotational mass is significant -- unfortunately we can't really tell where most of the rotational mass resides -- if it is closer to the wheel center then it will have less impact on performance.

1 lb of rotational mass = about 10 lbs sprung weight on the chassis/suspension x 4 and you have 40 lbs of sprung weight

But $1900 is tempting...
You also have to realize the OP is going to have waaaaay over 300whp when all is said and done...and he's not a huge track guy up in Maine, so I doubt weight is paramount for him...

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
There is no basis in physics for a 1:10 ratio, besides the fact that you are confusing rotating mass with unsprung mass.

The factor for acceleration & braking is about 1.5 or less for wheels, with an upper bound of 2.0 for tires.

In terms of suspension tracking on rough surfaces, it doesn't really make sense to talk about an equivalent change in sprung mass. Less unsprung mass is beneficial when dealing with bumps in the pavement, but its effects are not similar to taking mass off the chassis.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
John,

Agree, there is no "physics" behing the 1:10 ratio other than that is a common conversion many folks use to ballpark an effect of increasing wheel mass. The actual physics in real time are well beyond my understanding even if they could be simulated.

Point was that 2 lbs extra per rotating wheel is similar (not the same) to adding 40 lbs to the car as static weight. But in any case, less rotating mass is always better, by how much is debatable.

The tire is more outer, so I can understand that and in most cases the tire is the heavier component (hence why I like Hoosiers as they are lighter than 888). But where did you get the physics behind 1.5 and 2.0 ??

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
You're right Phil, but I wish there were some tracks closer by!
I hear ya man:( Keep your fingers crossed and pray for a transfer:up::D

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
So was the $1900 just a mistake Larry? Web site still says $2100.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The price of the Denag wheels is $2100 for the set. These are great forged wheels esp. for the price. We have a shortage of Japanese forged wheels right now because the Yen is so strong right now. If you are looking for a forged wheel and something .5" larger then you might want to grab a set of these before they go. They come in an interesting dark silver color too... (maybe they will hide the dirt a little better?).

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Lap time increase (bad thing) with equivalent weight penalty. I haven't done this specifically with my Lotus but I have with other race cars (big heavy V8s in the 3000 lb range).

1. Measure tire/wheel weight
2. Do 5-7 laps
3. Note lap times

Repeat with different wheel
1. Measure tire/wheel weight (different wheel same tire)
2. Do 5-7 laps
3. Note lap times

Go back to original lighter wheel
1. Measure tire/wheel weight
2. Add static weight (balast in neutural location on car)
3. Do 5-7 laps
4. Note lap times

repeat til lap times are close on heavier wheel vs. lighter wheel with balast added to car -- that gives you the magic static weight equivalent

if the wheel weight isn't making a difference your lap times will be with a certain level of tolerance (consistant driving is assumed)

That's where my 1:10 comes from.

Actually 2 lbs per wheel heavier would be about 80 lbs static - not sure why I said 40 lbs static.

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts
With all due respect, your 10:1 ratio is way off. It's more like 3:1 ...maybe 4:1. That is, reducing "unsprung" weight by 1 lb is the equivalent of a 3 pound reduction of "sprung" weight. Regardless, reducing unsprung weight is a good thing. :up:

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Jack,

Fair enough, but either way more weight isn't a good thing. I'm sure these Denag wheels are strong and I do like the look, but since they would be track only wheels the weight is pretty significant for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts