The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Very sad news. It's a shame because these are such classic cars that can't be replaced. Sounds like they were running the cars too hard. Given their value and the history I wished they'd exercised a bit more caution. Would have saved lives at the same time.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
it is very sad, best wishes go out to the friends and family involved.

18 are not particularly valuable... they can be replaced. most have been re-chassises a few times, and will be a few more times. i doubt the car will go away with this unfortunate and sad accident.

i also don't agree that the cars were likely run too hard. they are race cars, and they get raced.

the one things though - some (i don't know about this one) euro and specifically english events - are run without modern in car safety. there is no good reason to not prep / modify these cars to pass a broomstick and run with a hans, to have a fire system and elec. cut off

accident happen... IMO its up to the individual to decide, and should be able to chose if they like to run without belts even (recent "revival race where a driver got thrown out in a crash!?!) but, fi your gonna run with lower in car safety... be prepared...

i don't know the details of what happened here though.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Terrible news. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Some day I would like to have a Lotus 18 so this is a bit scary.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Very sad news. It's a shame because these are such classic cars that can't be replaced. Sounds like they were running the cars too hard. Given their value and the history I wished they'd exercised a bit more caution. Would have saved lives at the same time.
I cannot believe that you appear more concerned at the loss of a machine than the loss of life :(

·
shay2nak
25,128 Posts
terrible. :(

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I cannot believe that you appear more concerned at the loss of a machine than the loss of life :(
While it came across that way I know Chris personally and I know he didn't mean it that way. He is a genuinely good person.

Obviously any car can be replaced and the loss of life is a terrible thing. My condolences to his friends and family.

San

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Terrible news. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Some day I would like to have a Lotus 18 so this is a bit scary.
a 20 or 22 junior are better cars in every way.

or save bit of money and get a 51FF

most US event are run very safe with tech and on track. most everyone is highly recommending all drivers wear hans, and no open face helmets.... unlike in that picture....

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Aedo, That was absolutely not my intention. Apologies if that came out the wrong way. My first and last sentences express my condolences, however.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Aedo, That was absolutely not my intention. Apologies if that came out the wrong way. My first and last sentences express my condolences, however.
Thanks for clarification. It is hard to convey intention via the written word and on a global forum it is more difficult still.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
yea, i took chris's comment to mean he just philosophically doesn't approve of competitive racing in vintage cars. (which is a fine opinion, but i personally don't agree with)

tragic loss, i am going to ask around in the formula car community here - i am sure some folks know or where there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts