The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

This is my first post so I apologize if this has been talked about previously.

I have formulated 2 different plans for the acqisition of an Elise.

Plan #1 involves a lot of waiting (spring 2006)

Plan #2 involves the sale of my 1965 Mustang fastback (picture in sig)

Question for plan #1
Will a deposit still be required by the time I would plan on buying the Elise

Question for plan #2
How much money will be expected for a deposit and how long could I possibly expect to wait before taking delivery of the car?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Deposits can vary from dealer to dealer, but the typical amount seems to be $1000 (refundable). If you have that amount available, and don't need it for anything else, I would put down a deposit right now. Nobody knows how demand will develop once the initial rush is over. But if you get yourself in line now, you still have all the options open.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tyler.

I love that '65 Fastback. I grew up with those as my dad collected Mustangs. My sister just picked up a '66 I think. Nice cars, but it is very different driving a 60s car when contrasted with modern suspensions.

Question for you, your plan 2 is not clear to me. Are you thinking that would be selling the Mustang now?

Re: plan 1. I think unless the volume of sales increases a lot, there could possibly be a waiting list in spring 2006. Consider some dealers are over a year out and are not even taking deposits now. But it's hard to say.

Re: plan 2, if you are meaning doing it right now. Deposits are just earnest money really. Some dealers were taking as low as $500, but more common is $1000 or $2500. Some dealers as I mentioned are no longer taking deposits as the waiting list is around 2 years. If it was me, I would be researching the dealers and looking for one with good mentions (or not bad mentions) and maybe looking for the new dealers that are signed on by Lotus USA. They may not get a strong allocation early, but you could end up with a low number.

In any case, it's possible you can end up with an early 2005 car. There is some speculation though that the 2005 waiting list spots will have a higher MSRP, maybe $45k base.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
ConeFusion said:
... I would put down a deposit right now. Nobody knows how demand will develop once the initial rush is over. But if you get yourself in line now, you still have all the options open.
I agree. If there is still a waiting list, you have a coveted spot. If not, you only tied up $1000 for a year or so.

I should have put another deposit down 2.5 years ago. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum Tyler.

I love that '65 Fastback.
Thank you!

Question for you, your plan 2 is not clear to me. Are you thinking that would be selling the Mustang now?
This would involve the (pending completion of the car 95% now) immediate sale of the Fastback.

Re: plan 1. I think unless the volume of sales increases a lot, there could possibly be a waiting list in spring 2006. Consider some dealers are over a year out and are not even taking deposits now. But it's hard to say.

Re: plan 2, if you are meaning doing it right now. Deposits are just earnest money really. Some dealers were taking as low as $500, but more common is $1000 or $2500. Some dealers as I mentioned are no longer taking deposits as the waiting list is around 2 years. If it was me, I would be researching the dealers and looking for one with good mentions (or not bad mentions) and maybe looking for the new dealers that are signed on by Lotus USA. They may not get a strong allocation early, but you could end up with a low number.

In any case, it's possible you can end up with an early 2005 car. There is some speculation though that the 2005 waiting list spots will have a higher MSRP, maybe $45k base.
Thank you for the pointers.

The Fastback is set up with very aggressive suspension. It rides like a dump truck, but goes a round corners quite nicely.

My dilema is simple enough. I am totally in love with the Mustang. There is something about the feeling of driving something that makes you work with it and does not do all of the work for you. Manual steering and manual brakes really alter the feel of performance driving. But the constant tinkering that goes hand in hand with classic performance cars does become bothersome. I would much rather have a toy that both keeps me in touch with the overall "feel" of performance driving without having to constantly play with it to get what I want. I strongly believe that the Elise is such a vehicle. This leaves me pondering the need for 2 toys. I feel that I would eventually lose interest in the Mustang because I will not have to constantly fiddle with the Elise.

Thanks again for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts