The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, folks...

I was curious of a few things, and after searching recent threads, can`t easily find the answers to my curiousity.

Question 1) If there are now ~3500, is there any indication if Lotus has on file a "master list" of what ~2500 depositors are going to receive a 2005 Elise?

I ask this because, I imagine some buyers, like myself, want a 2005, not only because it`s a phenominal car, but because it becomes a "collectors item" almost by default...raising its long-term value (as I expect to keep this Elise for many years). As some dealers are bumping enthusiasts for those with extra cash in hand, some who deserve to have a 2005 Elise, are getting bumped to a 2006. Maybe this is all moot, but something I`ve thought about with all this time on our hands.

Question 2) Are dealerships now telling prospective buyers, you`ll be on the list, but to get a 2006?

Question 3) If there is such a list (as in question 1), I wonder if it will be made known at some point...as it would be nice to know for folks "on the 2005/2006 border."

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Deposits are held by the dealers, not by Lotus. they only hit Lotus as orders. so as of now Lotus has something like ~1,000 orders for '05 u.s. cars

Also of note is that Lazer blue doesn't look like a color option.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
To get an answer to your question, you'll need to ask any particular dealer. If the dealer has accurate information about their monthly allocation - and I don't think any do, beyond a few months at this point - they can let you know where you'd sit in their list. Of course, different dealers will have different allocations, so it may still be possible to get an '05 by shopping around. Again though, it depends on the accuracy of the allocation information that the dealer has.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fitfan said:
Deposits are held by the dealers, not by Lotus. they only hit Lotus as orders. so as of now Lotus has something like ~1,000 orders for '05 u.s. cars

Also of note is that Lazer blue doesn't look like a color option.

Thank you for the response...Question 4) Does this imply that a dealer should be able to tell us now if we`re getting a 2005 or 2006? I`m semi-confident I`ll get a 2005 so these questions are posed more for curiousity, than personal worry.

On the "color poll" laser blue is ordered equal to the other two blue`s combined.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I don't see how a dealer could know whether you will get an '05 or '06. Too many unknowns, including when the cutoff will occur in production between model years.

I have a first year Miata and don't believe it has any value as a collector's item. The Elise could be different, but I doubt it.

If Lotus radically changes the look of the car when the waivers expire, it's possible that the initial version will be worth a little more (all cars produced, not just the first model year), but I wouldn't count on it. My wife bought a 1988 Mercedes 560 SL back in 1991, because she liked the boxy look of the old models vs the revised look. As far as I can tell, the change did not make the older cars any more valuable, as plenty of people liked the new look.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Almost certainly the 05 and 06 models will be identical, I suspect that more options will be offered second year as the process is more refined.

I wouldn't even think about the elise being collectible, don't let that possibility influence your buy, unlikely to really happen.
Chris

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Mine will have not so much value after 5 or 6 years because I plan to drive the crap out of it, and as often as possible. When it is positively "worked", I'll look for the next great thing. If there isn't a next great thing, then I'll rebuild it. But I will not be worrying about resale value.

What is this thread about again???:confused:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Surferjer said:
Mine will have not so much value after 5 or 6 years because I plan to drive the crap out of it, and as often as possible. When it is positively "worked", I'll look for the next great thing. If there isn't a next great thing, then I'll rebuild it. But I will not be worrying about resale value.

What is this thread about again???:confused:
I like your thinking.

I've put 345,000 miles on my Miata in what will soon be 15 years of fun-filled driving. My Elise probably will see a little less action, but I would imagine that I will want to drive it most of the time.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if the buyers of the 1953 Corvette felt the same? :)

I know I'll drive the car like crazy too...put 60,000 miles on my 90 Miata the first year I owned it...and my 99 Corvette has 50,000...I don't hangar garage queens. Taken care of, a car with any amount of mileage can look like new.

I still think, in 20-30 years...a 2005 Elise will be considered something special and valuable...and look forward to finding out. I imagine a quarter of them will be damaged within a year in squirrely accidents! ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I set up a message forum for Covette waiters back in '52 but no one showed up...

X000000101 said:
I wonder if the buyers of the 1953 Corvette felt the same? :)

I know I'll drive the car like crazy too...put 60,000 miles on my 90 Miata the first year I owned it...and my 99 Corvette has 50,000...I don't hangar garage queens. Taken care of, a car with any amount of mileage can look like new.

I still think, in 20-30 years...a 2005 Elise will be considered something special and valuable...and look forward to finding out. I imagine a quarter of them will be damaged within a year in squirrely accidents! ;)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Like one-time owners of baseball cards, '53 Vettes and Apple stock, we'll be saying-"Damn! I had me one of them 2005 Elises, if only I'd known!". But then we'll smile at the ride we had, while some chump sells a pristine one at Barrett-Jackson, never having enjoyed it one day in his life. Losers. Heheheheheheheh :D

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Surferjer said:
Like one-time owners of baseball cards, '53 Vettes and Apple stock, we'll be saying-"Damn!
I was once a millionaire, but my mother threw away my comic books...:huh:

Tim Mullen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts