The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've begun to think more seriously about an Elise purchase. So I'm perusing not only new inventory, but also used listings. And while it's not unusual to see so many cars on the market, I'm a little surprised at the depreciation on even slightly-used cars. Naturally, this is okee-doke for the thrifty bargain hunter, but one never wants to be penny-wise and pound foolish.

Is there, these days, any good reason to go new?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Only if you want it supercharged or if you want a cool key and dash.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
You are correct.

These cars take a BIG drop in value once they're driven off the lot. What I have noticed though is that the prices on 2 -3 year old cars seem to have stabilized.

2005 Elises have held in the 30k - 35k range for over a year now and the depreciation has slowed somewhat.

Exige S resale values are horrible. 2007 Exige S Cars that cost 65k off the lot can now be had in the 51 - 54k range. The cars dropped 10k - 15k in less than a year. Most Exige S cars should hold around the 50k range for the next year or so.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Is there, these days, any good reason to go new?
no,
unless your asking one of the dealers on this forum who sells new cars............
or..............................
unless you have money to take and throw into the toilet, and flush it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
what would you offer for a new never registered 06 elise with a couple of hundred miles?

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
35-36 k depending on options....

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
If you want a normally aspirated elise, you can get an 05 or 06 at a great price...If you want a supercharged elise, and you dont care about warranty, buying on 05 and adding a BWR or Katana is also a great deal.... I prefer to have a factory warranty, so I am flushing a little extra down the toilet :pand getting an 08 elise SC...There are some nice upgrades since the 05 that help offset the cost a bit, and I dont really worry too much about the depreciation......

·
Registered
485 Posts
Oops. My mistake. It's an 07 demo CO Elise at FVMC.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
fourteen

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Drive-by-wire. Of course.

So focusing on '05s would be preferable then? Differences across the years seem to be minimal.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I sold my first 2005 Elise two years ago for $32,500. I could probably get that or very close to it today if I still had it. I wouldn't dream of selling the 2005 I currently own, it's a one of a kind bone stock from the factory. :)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
For a comparision point, what price are you seeing on discounted new Elises?

·
Registered
391 Posts
You are correct.

These cars take a BIG drop in value once they're driven off the lot. What I have noticed though is that the prices on 2 -3 year old cars seem to have stabilized.

2005 Elises have held in the 30k - 35k range for over a year now and the depreciation has slowed somewhat.

Exige S resale values are horrible. 2007 Exige S Cars that cost 65k off the lot can now be had in the 51 - 54k range. The cars dropped 10k - 15k in less than a year. Most Exige S cars should hold around the 50k range for the next year or so.

Agreed, on the slowing of depreciation. It seems to have held in the low to mid 30s for the Elise.
But do you guys think they'll start to depreciate a lot more in about a year, when the 08s Elise SC start showing up on the used market? I'm inclined to say yes, but who knows...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts