The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not everyone loved the styling of the 911 but its just as recognizable as a Ferrrari 308 when it comes to "cars everyone can pick out". I actually thought they got better looking as they went along, with the best looking cars being the 911SC & turbo models from about 1978 through 1987. Those were the ones we had in my house as a kid and I always liked them. Gotta have the whale tail though - it makes the car look so much better, IMO.

Not sure if this guy was related to Dr. Ferry Porsche who started the company in 1948 or thereabouts, IIRC.

Porsche 911 designer, Ferdinand Porsche, dead at 76 | Fox News

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
He actually died 40 years ago, but they just keep putting out a guy that looks the same!

:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not sure if this guy was related to Dr. Ferry Porsche who started the company in 1948 or thereabouts, IIRC.
Quoted Straight from the article:
"Porsche was the son of former Porsche Chairman Ferry Porsche, who died in 1998, and the grandson of Ferdinand Porsche, who started the company as a design and engineering firm in the 1930s"

·
Registered
62 Posts
To help clear up the confusion, as they're all named Ferdinand Porsche
Ferdinand Porsche started the company (and VW) most known for the Beetle. 1875-1951
Ferdinand "Ferry" Anton Ernst Porsche was his son, most known for the 356. 1909-1998
Ferdinand "Butzi" (or F.A.) Alexander Porsche was Ferry's son, most known for the 911. 1935-2012

Ferry's cousin is Dr. Ferdinand Karl Piëch (I presume it's pronounced about the same - like Poor-shuh)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quoted Straight from the article:
"Porsche was the son of former Porsche Chairman Ferry Porsche, who died in 1998, and the grandson of Ferdinand Porsche, who started the company as a design and engineering firm in the 1930s"
Ill admit, I grazed it over - good catch ;)

·
Registered
736 Posts
To help clear up the confusion, as they're all named Ferdinand Porsche
Ferdinand Porsche started the company (and VW) most known for the Beetle. 1875-1951
Ferdinand "Ferry" Anton Ernst Porsche was his son, most known for the 356. 1909-1998
Ferdinand "Butzi" (or F.A.) Alexander Porsche was Ferry's son, most known for the 911. 1935-2012

Ferry's cousin is Dr. Ferdinand Karl Piëch (I presume it's pronounced about the same - like Poor-shuh)
Might be too soon, but oh well.
From that list, it's obvious they don't have much imagination or creativity with their names either, just like them using the same design with their cars for the last several years.
Porsche are still great cars, but they desperately need a design change.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
...people that didn't love the 911 styling? who are these sinners!?!!

sad loss, best wishes to the family, company, and cars.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
...people that didn't love the 911 styling? who are these sinners!?!!

sad loss, best wishes to the family, company, and cars.
I don't think anyone said they don't like the styling - I think it's just a matter of it having been around soooo long and everyone having seen sooooo many, that it just becomes blase and commonplace.

Think of Kim Kardashian. Regardless of what people think of her, she's a BEAUTIFUL woman. She's so damned overexposed that I don't even pay attention. It's like 'whatever'. However, if I had never seen Kim Kardashian before and never heard of hear and she walked into my local Starbucks or walked her dog past my house, my head would swivel around like Linda Blair in The Exorcist. :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
I heard they tried to save him but couldn't remember what number to call.

I know... Too soon and too obvious. Sorry.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts