The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not express how much I love this car. There is nothing available in Canada that even compares. Is there any way I can own and drive this car on Canadian roads?

I was thinking to have the engine removed and import it and register it as a "kit car" lol.

Or have it registered in the US in my name since I have friends and an Uncle that live in the US and I would use their address?

I would almost go as far as saying I would pay 2X the MSRP for this car if I could own and drive one up here in Canada.

Does anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OneFastLotus said:
I dont think I'd be announcing that you're willing to pay $82,000 for an elise......
Why not?

A car is worth what your willing to pay for it. There is nothing I would buy in Canada for 100k anyways so to me its worth it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hollywood said:
for 82 you can have mine.
I dont think you guys understand.

I would be willing to pay 2X MSRP if there would be a tricky "loop hole" way of importing it and registering it in Canada.

I am looking for ideas to make this a reality.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Xenon, try here:

Importing a US car into Canada

Either that, or find a friend on the "other side of the border" and register the car there. Then it would be a US vehicle that you're operating in Canada. The downside is that you'd have to find the rules to see how long you can operate the car in Canada before it would have to leave Canada and enter the US. (Then you'd drive it back into Canada...)

Bob

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Here's the problem with the kit car idea (from the RIV website):

LIST OF VEHICLES ADMISSIBLE FROM THE UNITED STATES

Kit Cars LESS THAN FIFTEEN YEARS OLD (assembled or unassembled)

None are admissible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rtking said:
Xenon, try here:

Importing a US car into Canada

Either that, or find a friend on the "other side of the border" and register the car there. Then it would be a US vehicle that you're operating in Canada. The downside is that you'd have to find the rules to see how long you can operate the car in Canada before it would have to leave Canada and enter the US. (Then you'd drive it back into Canada...)

Bob
Thanks for the link but thats not going to help because there is a vehicle admissible list and its not listed.

I will not be able to import this car regularly. I am looking for a "loop hole" or possibly registering it in the US and driving it in Canada but that could get complicated with insurance etc..

I am so pissed about Canada's 8km/h bumper regulations.

I bet it would be easier to get Amarican citizenship then it would be to legaly import and drive this car. :mad:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Are you allowed to have dual citizenship? Perhaps forming a U.S. corporation (LLC) and purchasing and insuring the car through your business?

You may want to try speaking to dealers near the border that sells cars that are also not allowed in Canada. They would probably be the ones who could come up with an imaginative solution.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry but you're going to have to wait until it's legal here. We should know by the end of December if it's coming or not.

Keep emailing the dealers up here to find out the current status.

I'm in Canada as well(Calgary to be exact) and am putting a deposit down in a couple of weeks incase we do get it.

Lotus is said to have a strong commitment in bringing this car to Canada so I am very hopeful that it will come.

Otherwise, you risk having any imported car seized at the border and destroyed.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Originally posted by rtking:
The downside is that you'd have to find the rules to see how long you can operate the car in Canada before it would have to leave Canada and enter the US. (Then you'd drive it back into Canada...)
Quite a few people do this here with their high-end cars because they avoid the yearly personal property tax. If you have a residence out-of-state, you can register the car there, and drive it in CT for up to 180 days before having to register it here. Apparently, the cars are "stored" where registered (usually NY, VT, NH, FLA...). I heard of a guy who had a PO box and a rented garage north of us.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Do as I do. Buy a Caterham. www.super7cars.com

I pretty much gave up the idea of buying an Elise. I'm still lurking though, just in case. But I don't remember one occasion where the canadian government gave some kind of free pass to any manufacturer. So I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Darth G-F said:
Do as I do. Buy a Caterham. www.super7cars.com

I pretty much gave up the idea of buying an Elise. I'm still lurking though, just in case. But I don't remember one occasion where the canadian government gave some kind of free pass to any manufacturer. So I'm not holding my breath.
I love the perfoamce of the Caterham but it was hit with the ugly stick from day1 and its just not my style.

If the new elise does not come to Canada I will buy a T-Rex.

http://www.go-t-rex.com

1.9G on the skidpad, 0-60 in 4.1 sec. and 140mph max speed.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
xenon said:
I love the perfoamce of the Caterham but it was hit with the ugly stick from day1 and its just not my style.

If the new elise does not come to Canada I will buy a T-Rex.

http://www.go-t-rex.com

1.9G on the skidpad, 0-60 in 4.1 sec. and 140mph max speed.
Funny, if you check the Canada region forum, you'll see I am also considering a T-Rex! :D Check page 9 of my www.cardomain.com/id/miatafan and you'll see my two options. The orange Caterham is the one I could buy. The t-rexes are just to show what the car looks like.

But the Caterham is a beast and you can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Darth G-F said:
Funny, if you check the Canada region forum, you'll see I am also considering a T-Rex! :D Check page 9 of my www.cardomain.com/id/miatafan and you'll see my two options. The orange Caterham is the one I could buy. The t-rexes are just to show what the car looks like.

But the Caterham is a beast and you can't go wrong with either one.
Sounds like we both have very simular tastes. I am looking into the 05 STi for my winter beater.. lol

The Caterham is faster but the T-Rex has just pure sex appeal and its fast enough for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts