The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has bought the removable steering wheel ? It seems it would make entry alot easier as entry into the passenger side IS alot easier. I plan to get it. Anybody know what it costs and how easy is it to remove the stock steering wheel?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would be interested in the removable steering as well!!! I could care less about at airbag. At 6'3" in an accident I dont see things going good for me anyway. My only issue is would it be SCCA legal in stock class.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The removoveable wheel would be mostly for track use. As the track is where my car will likely spend most of its time I dont see it as that big of a deal, that is of course unless I am in an accident.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
CrashTestDummy said:

My only issue is would it be SCCA legal in stock class.
Nope

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's not legal for the street either. There's a law that prevents the removal and replacement of an airbag-equiped steering wheel.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
DanDotDan said:
It's not legal for the street either. There's a law that prevents the removal and replacement of an airbag-equipped steering wheel.
Not quite. Lots of people replace their steering wheel with a non-air bag wheel. It may be a problem getting a shop to do it because of liability, etc. but you can do it your self if you choose.

All that said, my wheel and air bag will remain firmly attached to my Elise.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
After getting in and out of both the passenger and driver's side with hardtop yesterday, I say it's not bad. This even though I am 6', 210 lbs, sit tall, and I also have a neck problem from an old sports injury.

After the first few times, getting in and out will become habitual.

OTOH, my guess is that someone who is 6'5" is almost certainly gonna have problems with a hardtop.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
TimMullen said:
Not quite. Lots of people replace their steering wheel with a non-air bag wheel. It may be a problem getting a shop to do it because of liability, etc. but you can do it your self if you choose.

All that said, my wheel and air bag will remain firmly attached to my Elise.
just cuz you can do it doesn't make it legal. True, the odds of ever having a problem are super slim, but get ready to fight with your insurance company if you get injured on the street. The legality of it varies by state.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Forgetting illegality and airbag issues for the moment, I have a removable wheel which I had on my car (1999 S1) from new. Initially used to take the wheel off everytime I got out / in. Nowadays the only time I ever take it off is for security reasons (and for posing when entering bars / restaurants, etc :D )

But if you ever analyse how you get into and out of any car, you will find that the first thing one grabs on entering is the wheel, and it is also the last thing you let go of when exiting. So take the wheel off, and in an Elise it then actually becomes more difficult to get in or out.

Only time it may be of benefit is if you are TRULY big, and can't get legs under wheel (like in a Super 7 or similar). But if you have that problem, I don't think you could drive the Elise once in there !!

Great posing item, and even better anti theft deterrent, but not really beneficial as an aid to entry / exit, I can assure you. I am 6 ft 2 and 210 pounds and nearly 60 years old.

By the way, for those of you who are still discussing roof-on entry and exit methods, after early problems :)eek:) I soon learned how to get in and out. But I still CANNOT get in / out of the passenger side, simply because I so rarely do it. Which just goes to show you that it is a training issue rather than a "permanently impossible" issue !! And just wait till the first time the belt loop on the back of your trousers gets caught on the door striker pin when you are halfway in/out !!! Said in soft voice, with face 3 ft from the ground, to passer by on sidewalk...."Excuse me miss, but could you please unhook my trousers for me ?" !!!:D And it will happen to you ......Just remember you were warned on Elise Talk when you do it...and laugh !!

Giles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts