The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checkout yesterday's Elise General thread (same as subject), on The Lotus Enthusiasts' BBS: http://www.british-cars.co.uk

Anon:
Some / all of these rumours have been posted here / press at one point or another but here is the info I gleaned over a few beers (with a manager he used to work with at Lotus/Proton):

* M250 is being developed and will go into production although not for a while yet
* Toyota V6 engine to go into the UK Elise as well as the US car
* S2 Exige to be put into production

Nothing that hasnt been talked about before but the concensus was if you are thinking of buying new at the moment you might be better holding off for a bit and seeing what is announced ;-).

So, is it likely, or not, that when Lotus announces the engine that they will yield any information about a V6 as an option?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The V-6 will be along down the road I'm sure. Probably positioned midway between the Elise and Esprit, perhaps something along the lines of an Exige, don't see it being offered initially.
Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
V6 Option

I must agree, I find it hard to beleive that all of the above statements are accurate. The M250 was being developed with a V6 in mind as I understand and if it is to be the midpoint between the elise and the new esprit then it does not make sense to have the V6 in the elise as well. If you are trying to develop three different levels of cars then it would seem unwise to overlap the engines. Its possibly, but I just don't think its very likely. An S2 exige would be cool though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: V6 Option

boomboom said:
I must agree, I find it hard to beleive that all of the above statements are accurate. The M250 was being developed with a V6 in mind as I understand and if it is to be the midpoint between the elise and the new esprit then it does not make sense to have the V6 in the elise as well. If you are trying to develop three different levels of cars then it would seem unwise to overlap the engines. Its possibly, but I just don't think its very likely. An S2 exige would be cool though.
Boomboom,

I really didn't read into the original message as implying that the M250 even if previously under development with a V6 would continue to have a V6 given that the current Esprit has a V8. As a replacement for the Esprit, the M250 should as a minimum have a V8, and wouldn't it be kwel if it were being planned for an eventual V12?

So, my impression was that the M250 (in its current undercover state that no one outside Lotus/Proton knows about) would be a replacement for the Esprit in the future say 3-4 years down the road.

Perhaps Lotus are aiming at introducing an entry level Elise which will by far be the largest market worldwide for the Elise - not forgetting Lotus's goal of building a world market for the car - and a ready built market for the Esprit replacement. Hopefully, Lotus will also build a road compliant Exige level for the USA instead of just the track - and maybe thats where the V6 makes the most sense.

At any rate, Lotus needs to establish its presense here in the states, and the Elise will accomplish that goal straightaway. The catch is can the build quality, fun factor, reliability, handling, and performance coexist at a higher standard than in the past to make it a smashing (not literally) success in the USA? I sincerely hope so, from the bottom of my driving at 10/10 in control heart!

-- Tom

·
Supporting Vendor
4,113 Posts
I believe the Lotus officials at LOG suggested that the Elise chassis is being developed to accomodate other cars. This would be a very sound financial decision for Lotus.

I think a M250 type car would be very welcome - especially if it is a S2 Exige-type machine. The S1 Exige was a great halo car for Lotus. Two months back, I had the pleasure of watching two Exiges tear it up at CA Speedway. I spoke with the drivers after one track session and they simply raved about the car. One of them also owned and tracked his Lambo. He claimed that most of the Ferrari/Lambo guys preferred driving the Exige on track. By the way these two guys were lapping all other cars, it was clear the car was amazingly capable.

Regarding the V6 in the Elise, it is doubtful. When a properly sorted 4 will make the Elise sing, why go throw in a heavier 6?

My bet is on a 4 in the S3...not that I'd kick a light and torquey 6 out of bed...:D

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
One of the big question marks for me is the chassis. It makes sense that Lotus would use a modular type chassis that they could use across there line. Have heard rumblings about the Fed Elise being 2" longer with the same W.B. IF we get a bigger chassis the rumors of a small v-6 could be true. Doubt they would use it the first year, but the 2nd year in a Exige type car...

·
Registered
637 Posts
From what I've heard the S2 Exige is on it's way and will be with us a whole lot sooner than anyone really expects.

Perhaps a month or two after the US car?

Craigy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts