The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to hear from the Devil's Advocate. Why should I AVOID buying an Elise?

Backstory: I've been involved with Porsche 356's for 20 years - finally have a pretty nice one after getting burned several times while climbing the learning curve. Admittedly expensive to maintain, they're fun old cars but now I want to move to Elise World. Only this time with my eyes open.

I'm leaning toward a basic car - nothing fancy, although the hard top looks like something I'd want.

What does the smart Elise buyer look for/avoid while shopping. Will I hate myself if I get a used one? I'm not much of a mechanic but might do the occaisional track day.

Thanks for all your help!

Dave Darling
Atlanta
'60 Porsche 356 Roadster

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
if you want cushy seats
if you want a quiet ride
if you want a good sound system
if you want a smooth ride
if you want to use the trunk for more than pillows
if you want an easy ingress/egress
if you want a status symbol(like porsche or ferrari)
if you want really cold AC
if you want your car not to fall off lifts at the tire shop(sorry Qball I had to rotfl)
if you dont want alot of attention

did I miss anything?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
i thought i wanted a hard top, too, but the soft top is always with me and does the job nicely.
when you have the hard top on and you wish to go topless, you must stash the top somewhere....and if you aren't near home or such, you can't.
no point having a convertible if you can't use it on a whim.

sam (an old whim driver..)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
all the above plus,

no spare tire

have to be very aware of traffic around you. Amazingly half the people sit in your blind spot staring at the car, the other half seem to be oblivious to your existance.

takes longer to buckle in with harness after removing 3 point

i no longer stop to get mail on the way home (mailbox is down the street) due to the hassle of getting in and out.

people ask too many questions about the car no matter where you are at, stoplight, getting gas, pulling into your own driveway

passenger side isn't comfortable so most co-workers offer to drive to lunch

wife refuses to take a weekend trip due to space and comfort issues.

With that all said I still wouldn't trade it for anything. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts