The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Esprit experts...need some help.
My 1991 SE has been a great shifting car.
Last year I bought the SJ front/rear translator refurbishment kit and had my mechanic install them. Now the gearshift is crap. Very notchy, hard to find gears and I keep hearing sloppy mechanical clanking noises as I shift (I don't remember this being so loud). Another maybe clue is that gearshift points are further forward than they used to be...the gear shift isn't centered and just noticed that the gearshift knob is slightly twisted. I've attached the video of the translator and it's mounted properly with the heim joint bolts on the top. How do I start diagnosing the issue? Could the shift cables be swapped at the translator or at the gearshift end by accident? The mechanic said everything is adjusted to lotus specs..not sure I can verify that.
This is a video of the translator as I'm shifting:

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
If the cables were reversed you could not get into the correct gears so that is unlikely. Assuming the worn parts were replaced and reassembled properly, it could just need some lubrication and some tweaking of the adjustments. Since you did not have your mechanic do the whole job he can't be responsible for all of the necessary adjustments. With new, tight, parts you most likely need to readjust things. The cables could also probably use some lubrication. Start by getting the Service Manual out and going over all of the adjustments. You may also have some worn parts in the gearshift mechanism in the cabin. At the very least it may need some lubrication.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave, my mechanic did do all the work - the SJ refurbish kits I bought included all new bearings, joints, plastic pieces for both the in-cabin gearshift mechanism as well as the translator. Since he drove the car for a few days, think something has gotten loose - and it's getting worse as the car is in gear but the gearshift is neutral (worse is that its in the garage). Since the mechanic isn't nearby, I'm going to have to try to least try to diagnose this on my driveway. The hard part is that I'm not sure what I am looking at and having access to everything easily.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
OK, so some of my assumptions were incorrect. The main point is, after doing this work some adjustment is usually necessary. It doesn't involve any special tools, just some knowledge. With the manual and some hand tools you should be able to adjust it properly.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts