The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Stilling doing God's work
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did all upgrades... A/C still goes cold to cool to warm than cool again. What else do I do? Upgraded the A/C part. Added 3m crystalline to the windshield. Added tints to the side and back windows. Tapped the front. But the A/C still goes from cold, to cool, then warm, then cool, then warm, then cool, etc.

It is really driving me crazy... Love the car, but this fcken A/C is really getting on my nerves... If it helps, the car is a 2007 and was built in March 2006.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
When the A/C goes from cold to cool to warm, shut off the A/C and keep the fan on. An infrared heat sensor helps (about $35) but my guess is the air coming out of the vents will start to cool down and for a few minutes blow really cool air. - Condenser is icing up.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't know if the later Lotus elises are better but mine is fantastic.
Gets to cold! Have to turn it off or down.

I have put window tint on and insulation under the sills, behind the door cards.

I don't use recycle as this freezes up the condensor. Put fan on 2 only, if you want 3 onlly for short periods.

After driving a while the heat in the cab does come through the Aluminium chassis, which of course works agianst the A/C.

I have noticed that a lot of heat comes from the aluminium exposed sills, you could try carpeting/insulating the section underneath. The A/C does drop of a bit if seating in traffic but as soon as you start moving it cools again.

I do know there is a old thread somewhere on this forum where a guy went sick modding the A/C and insulating the whole cab. He has given figures of the reduction in temp.

If you think I live in a cool climate your mistaken. I live in Perth West Oz where Temps can soar to 45C and temps above 35C can last for days and weeks in the summer.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Did all upgrades... A/C still goes cold to cool to warm than cool again. What else do I do? Upgraded the A/C part. Added 3m crystalline to the windshield. Added tints to the side and back windows. Tapped the front. But the A/C still goes from cold, to cool, then warm, then cool, then warm, then cool, etc.

It is really driving me crazy... Love the car, but this fcken A/C is really getting on my nerves... If it helps, the car is a 2007 and was built in March 2006.
Sounds like you may have the older thermostat. The new one that fixes this problem was installed after February 2007. Get the new one as per my instructions.
Michael

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Have you checked the charge level? one of the first signs of low charge is freeze up of the evaporator, could be new thermostat is detecting frost and cycling in warm air early and more often.

·
Stilling doing God's work
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you checked the charge level? one of the first signs of low charge is freeze up of the evaporator, could be new thermostat is detecting frost and cycling in warm air early and more often.
How do I do that?

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Take it to an auto AC shop and have them pull a vacuum to check for leaks then recharge with 0.55 kg or 1.2lbs. of R134 as per service manual. Service ports can be accessed from engine bay and are down low on the passenger side just behind the intake vent.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a 2005 Elise and the aircon does seem to cycle between cold and very cold. Mine has all the updated parts and still does it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah, to be honest after reading all the scare stories about rotting pipes in the sills, failing compressors, corrosion in the condenser, and failing HVAC resistor packs, I almost wish I'd bought one without A/C as you don't really need it in the UK

But it's still working! I had it recharged last year (although it had not stopped working the gas was down to 70% capacity)

Not sure if I'll get it repaired when/if it does fail. I spent nearly £1,000 ($1500) fixing the A/C on my Porsche 928 and the only time I ever used it was to make sure it still worked....
Again there was little real need for it here in the UK. Good for demisting the windows but that's about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts