The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all searching on rattle on lotus talk garentees many hours of reading rotfl . I did a bunch of searching and reading but still cant isolate my problem.

It started recently after my first track day where I took it pretty easy. Every time I take off from a stop I get a terrible metalic rattle. It is hot just a minor anoyance it is very loud. It sounds like it could be heat sheilding hitting on something but I checked it everywhere and couldent locate a problem. I have the stage 2 equast and I did notice the Brackets are cracked at the weld which is very common apparently. However I dont think that is the problem as the tips still feel very secure and I dont think they could move enogh to hit the diffuser. Again the sound only occurs when pulling away from a stop and is quite loud. It is coming from the rear and sounds more from the passenger side than central.

Sorry for another "rattle" thread and all coments are appreciated,
AAron

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
get the brackets rewelded
will do: I guess my question is if there is anything else I should look for while I have the care in the air and apart?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Lotus will replace your stage II exhaust under warranty if your vehicle is still covered! also check the heat sheilds around the exhaust if it was recently installed. Keep us posted with any further info to help pinpoint the noise.

Good Luck,

Jordan

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
will do: I guess my question is if there is anything else I should look for while I have the care in the air and apart?
muffler brackets, diffuser and undertray bolts, sheer panel, heat shield, bad cat... I can type for 10 more minutes and probably not get to all of the potential problems.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally wrestled off the muffler and had it welded up finally. The brackets were crakced in 4 places, but the guy at the muffler shop welded them up pretty well so I think it will hold. I also found a loose heat sheild bolt so hopefully this takes care of my problem. Quick question is the heat shield suposed to be bolted to the reat licence plate panel? There are 2 places for bolts at the end of the heat shield here that are missing on my car....

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I finally wrestled off the muffler and had it welded up finally. The brackets were crakced in 4 places, but the guy at the muffler shop welded them up pretty well so I think it will hold. I also found a loose heat sheild bolt so hopefully this takes care of my problem. Quick question is the heat shield suposed to be bolted to the reat licence plate panel? There are 2 places for bolts at the end of the heat shield here that are missing on my car....
So did that fix it?
If not then maybe a chassis dyno so someone could help to isolate where the noise is coming from. (Assuming all the track stars are in China)

·
Registered
571 Posts
:wave:

Seen you around the woodlands and wanted to say Howdy.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Any updates?

I took my car to Lotus Newport Beach today, and they refused to look further because I had engine mount inserts.

The tech said that he cannot reproduce it...

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didnt get a chance to look at the belt tensioner yet but this seems inline with the symtoms I am having. I'll get the wheel liner off sometime this week and post an update. I am not sure what an engine mount insert does but what a crock, you pay 60 k for a car that is basically advertised as a track car and they cant look past minor mods.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:wave:

Seen you around the woodlands and wanted to say Howdy.
waveback, I saw you the otherday on sawdust road about 1 mile form my place. I was in my wagon though :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts