The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I pull up to the gas pump in the BMW. There are 3 different grades; mid grade on the left, premium in the middle and regular on the right (87). So i pick up the middle pump, flip up the middle handle and start pumping the gas. After filling up about 3/4 of my tank I look up and notice that the hoses coming from the top of the premium grade and regular grade have been switched. So essentially it looked to me like someone had picked up both pumps, switched them and put them back... maybe as a joke? So I immediately stop pumping gas, pull my car up to a different pump and fill the rest with premium. So I immediately drove to advance auto a couple blocks down the street and got some fuel treatment... not sure if that would help, but I didnt know what else to do.

So when I got home I started to think... did I really just put regular in my tank? Could the gas stations only way of knowing what type of gas you pump be what handle you flipped up? If that were the case, the next time i went to the gas station, i could pick up the premium pump, flip up the regular handle and pay regular gas price for premium fuel. But then again, if it didnt matter which pump you picked up, why do they bother having 3 different hoses coming out???

Hopefully I'm explaining myself well enough so you know what the hell I'm talking about.

·
Registered
417 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You will need to ..........as soon as you can get down touch your toes...and then start doing jumping jacks.............10 times for 10 days every 10 minutes until the fuel that is there has been burn fully........don't do stand ups or sit downs until you call me...........you may PM also..........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Each hose is lined to each pump and tank. You may have 3 hoses coming from the actual pump but when you choose the octane you want you trigger the cooresponding tank in which the pump pulls the fuel from. Highly unlikely you chose premium and got 87 octane. If your concerned, go easy with the car and replace the gas with premium. If you run the car at high revs you may get knocking, this will tell you if in fact you have 87 ocatane in your tank. Not the end of the world. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
My 2 cents...

In a 15 year old 325i BMW, you're not going to notice a hell of a lot of a difference with one tank of 87 octane.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My 2 cents...

In a 15 year old 325i BMW, you're not going to notice a hell of a lot of a difference with one tank of 87 octane.
Or most any other car for that matter. Very few cars would suffer acutal engine damage from running 87 octane gas, although you might lose a little power and mileage. Modern engines have knock sensors able to detect detonation and retard timing allowing you to run lower octane gas. This is important if you ever find yourself in a situation where only low octane gas is available.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Since there were 3 lines, and let's just say someone did switch them, if you flipped the middle and squeezed the wrong line, nothing would happen. You would have been mildly annoyed and swapped to the charged line.

I think that makes sense:shrug:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
If you flipped the premium handle then its not possible to pump 87. Only 1 grade can be pumped when chosen.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Regular

Please specify what you mean by regular. Regular unleaded, or regular leaded.

If its regular leaded, then get a siphon, and empty your tank!

·
Registered
807 Posts
where does one get leaded gas in this day and age? if it's leaded racing fuel, i can guarantee because of the price, no one will mistake one for the other!!!

heck, you can put diesel into an unleaded car or visa versa and there's no long term damage:

YouTube - Fifth Gear - Wrong Fuel Type

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I think perhaps you might get a little bit of pinging at most (that's what I've been told).

If you're really fearful, I'm sure you can dump a bottle of "octane boost" in there?

but hell, with gas prices going up and up, I'm tempted to put 85octane in my 300zx (which requires premium).
dang, it cost me $70 to add 15 gallons last night.

anyone else remember how it was only $1 a gallon back in the 80s?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I think perhaps you might get a little bit of pinging at most (that's what I've been told).

If you're really fearful, I'm sure you can dump a bottle of "octane boost" in there?

but hell, with gas prices going up and up, I'm tempted to put 85octane in my 300zx (which requires premium).
dang, it cost me $70 to add 15 gallons last night.

anyone else remember how it was only $1 a gallon back in the 80s?
you dont have to go back to 80s....in 99-2000 gas was like a $1 - 1.10 (those were the good times)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts