The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To anyone who has a Saffron car delivered - does it match exactly to your color card from Lotus?

The reason I ask is because the color card exactly matches my SUV, and so I thought the car would match perfectly. However, when I went up to PBMC a couple weeks ago to see their Saffron Elise, it looked brighter than I thought it would. I wasn't able to compare it side-by-side with my SUV, either, and I didn't think at the time to match it up with the color card.

Anyone, please? :bow:

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
Saffron Yellow is the illegitimate offspring
of School-Bus and Taxi-Cab Yellows. All attempts by me to keep the little bugger pure were met by roadblocks instituted
by a specific spin-meister/janitor for this
site whom I prefer not to name.
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
rotfl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zvezdah1 said:
As I recall from memory, the saffron IS a bit brighter than the yellow of you suv.
Chris, I remember you saying that. But when I put the color chart up against my paint, it matched 100%. Can any of you guys w/ Lotus connections maybe find out if they changed it from the color chart, or how accurate the color chart representation is? It may affect my decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
I remember matching the color card directly to the car that was indoors at the NY Show in April and it matched exactly.
However, when ADP (in Australia) showed us outdoor photos of his car, the
orangey-ness wasn't as pronounced as it was at the NY Show car. Night photos, with light hitting the car, also looked less orangey. I guess this means that artificial light makes the car look exactly like the color chart chip and natural light gives it a
more yellowish hue.....with only a hint of orange.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,301 Posts
When I saw the car at the HRM get-together a while back, it didn't seem orangey to me at all. Then when I saw it at the NY auto show, it definitely had an orange tint to it - I attributed it to lighting differences.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another factor to consider is that color hue and brightness is perceived differently on different scales. A yellow wall, for instance, appears much brighter than a yellow paint chip. This is because the perceived color intensity is heightened by the amount of color in your area of perception.

So it COULD BE that the paint matches the card exactly when viewed side-by-side, but when viewed separately, the car's orange hues are drowned out by the overwhelming amount of yellow being absorbed all at once.

It also COULD BE that Chris and I perceived my SUV as "more orange" than the Elise because the bottom half of it is black rubber, which might offset the visual intensity of the yellow.

My question still remains, though.... will Saffron Yellow match the color card, and more importantly, will it match my VehiCross!?

:confused:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,941 Posts
>>>Another factor to consider is that color hue and brightness is perceived differently on different scales. A yellow wall, for instance, appears much brighter than a yellow paint chip. This is because the perceived color intensity is heightened by the amount of color in your area of perception. <<<

Very true. And the idea applies to houses too. Don't just grab a chip! It's best to see houses and cars in person and in different lighting conditions.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,819 Posts
All of the anonymous "My SUV" references beg the question - What is your SUV?

At first I assumed an H2, and that you weren't saying because it is kind of the antithesis of the the Elise and I've seen some people on here flame them, but with the half rubber comment I'm going to guess it's an Isuzu VehiCross and you didn't name it because it's a bit obscure and people might not know what you meant. Am I right? I suppose that maybe it could be an XTerra, those are/were offered in a yellow and have some rubber on the bottom too.

--Josh
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
JWA said:
All of the anonymous "My SUV" references beg the question - What is your SUV?

At first I assumed an H2, and that you weren't saying because it is kind of the antithesis of the the Elise and I've seen some people on here flame them, but with the half rubber comment I'm going to guess it's an Isuzu VehiCross
Ding!

transio said:
will Saffron Yellow match the color card, and more importantly, will it match my VehiCross!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,315 Posts
Here is a reference I did a while ago. A picture of the official colour chart ( together with a yellow pages book) sitting on the boot of my Speed Yellow Boxster. As you can see Saffron is slightly more orange than Porsches speed yellow, but it is pretty close to that colour.
I think the confusion is that speculation originally thought that lightning yellow was going to be the colour made available in the US (this is the colour of the JADI 111 model).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,438 Posts
When I first drove up to the Saffron demo sitting outside, the first thing that struck me was the orangey nature of the color. As I spent more and more time looking at and photographing the car, the orange tint "went away" and it seemed more of a pure yellow. FWIW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,301 Posts
_JD_ said:
When I first drove up to the Saffron demo sitting outside, the first thing that struck me was the orangey nature of the color. As I spent more and more time looking at and photographing the car, the orange tint "went away" and it seemed more of a pure yellow. FWIW.
I heard the yellow tends to fade in the sun:D

Transio - can you take a pic of the Lotus color chip next to your Vehicross yellow????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
atyclb said:
Just as I thought. Taxi-cab
yellow in the front....and School bus from mid to rear. P.S. - This explains why people try to hail the car down when it's approaching them......and kids just pile into it from the sides and back when it's at a full stop. It's referred to in the science books as Taxi-School bus syndrome.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top