The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the license plate that is. This was one topic that bounced around several times before delivery. High time it got answered. So was it?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
No. My dealer drilled 4 holes to mount the plate (with me watching VERY carefully!).

·
Registered
739 Posts
Please could someone post a picture of the front plate as mounted by a dealer - I'm interested to see what height they put it at.

TIA

Paul :)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Very glad I live in a state with the foresight not to require front plates.

I do have a factory mounting bracket for sale cheap, perhaps ebay it!
Chris

·
Registered
92 Posts
I live in a state that requires it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to put one on. I'm highly considering getting a euro-style plate to put on front though.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
TotallyGreen said:
I live in a state that requires it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to put one on. I'm highly considering getting a euro-style plate to put on front though.
Do you think that will help avoid tickets, or just going for style points?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I will be sure to tell dealer not to drill holes on front bumper..my state also requires it but I'm going w/out...I did on last car and never got hassled(not even when I got my reckless driving ticket...:mad: )...cops dont like cars like this one!!!!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Very glad I live in a state with the foresight not to require front plates.

I do have a factory mounting bracket for sale cheap, perhaps ebay it!
Chris
advertise that baby for $56.9k!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was pulled over twice in the last 6 months I was in L.A. for not having my front license plate. Seems that the police are cracking down a bit in the areas where red light cameras are installed. This occurred shortly after those cameras were in place. Since moving from there, I haven't received any tickets and I work right across the street from the police station.

I never wanted to put the front plate on my Lotus, so I just eat the burden of the ticket. It's only a $10 "fix-it" ticket, here, but then you also have to wait in line to get it inspected at the DMV (or the CHP, I believe). Other than the wasted time, it's worth $10 a year not to have to put that front plate on. I just strap it on with wires, get it inspected and pull it off... uh, I mean I WOULD do that, if I wasn't a law-abiding citizen.

JLL

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
nice....

mact3333 said:
I will be sure to tell dealer not to drill holes on front bumper..my state also requires it but I'm going w/out...I did on last car and never got hassled(not even when I got my reckless driving ticket...:mad: )...cops dont like cars like this one!!!!

nice SSR wheels. curious if you considered the satin finish...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Re: nice....

raggedy1 said:
nice SSR wheels. curious if you considered the satin finish...
to be honest, I prefer the silver SSR's...I did alot of mods to that car but the only thing anyone/everyone complimented me on was the wheels...people always commented on the wheels...they could care less about exhaust, suspension, brakes/rotors and etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My old S1 111S had LSS set to 100/110 and I lost several number plates... usually due to going over speed bumps too fast... I finally had some smaller plates made up and fixed them with Velcro --- the industrial type. This would work for you guys and would save unnecassary drill holes....

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think I will go with the wire/zip tie to the front grill method for the few times I get pulled over and issued a fix-it ticket.

In fact, in 5 years of living in California, I haven't gotten pulled over once for not having a front plate on either of my cars (knocks on wood).

The first car I bought new was an Audi A4, and the dealer drilled these big 3/8" holes through the front bumper, that weren't even on-center. I was so mad ... :(. I'm not going to let that happen again.

Best,
John

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an afterthought...I'm glad that it does not come pre-drilled. However, those of us picking up cars in states that require a front license might want to tell the dealer to not drill the holes. I'm on list in MO which has a front plate, but live in KS which doesn't. I've told the dealer to not drill them as per habit getting the car ready for it's front plate.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
No fronts required in PA. When I was in Colorado I blew off the front plate without consequence for many years...just kept it in the trunk.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Re: Re: nice....

mact3333 said:
to be honest, I prefer the silver SSR's...I did alot of mods to that car but the only thing anyone/everyone complimented me on was the wheels...people always commented on the wheels...they could care less about exhaust, suspension, brakes/rotors and etc.
so true. the wheels are the 1st thing people notice and easily the one mod that will change the look of a car...

nice car...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts