The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The political situation in the Arabic world and increasing oil prices because of this have convinced Lotus that it is advisable to provide a Diesel engine for the US Elise.
Negotiations with VAG / Audi and Honda are still going on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Are you smokin' dope?

Where did you read this? I think Ferrari is considering a Solar powered offering. And McLaren is almost ready with their electric. Oh, right April Fool's now I'm with ya!!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Let's not knock diesels...

I have it on good authority that this turbocharged 2-stroke diesel is being seriously considered as the powerplant for the next Dodge Viper.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

It reaches an incredible 50% thermal efficiency! That's double what most car powerplants currently get.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ya know, in all seriousness, it is possible to have a high performance (and really really fun to drive) diesel car. A friend of mine has a modded VW Golf Diesel, and although its HP is only at somethig like 150, it gets nearly 400 foot pounds of torque. Amazing. Remember torque = low end acceleration, and hp = highend speed.

So, diesels have lots of torque, and they can really sprint off the line fast. Unfortunately, the thing has a redline of like 4k, which really blows.

Steve

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Real Diseal Lambo, most people don't know that Lambo makes great tractors as well as great cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts