The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove Corvettes for years. There's this whole thing about the "Corvette wave" among Corvette drivers. Do you wave at every Corvette you pass on the road?

When driving a Corvette, I generally waved at my brother in a Corvette.

The difference is that while I now wave at the rare Lotus I pass, I wave because I actually now the person in the Lotus!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Less is Better
Most sports car owners wave to like cars on the road. The nice thing about Lotus is any other Lotus owners wave, not just the same model. Exige, Evora and Esprit drivers all wave back when I drive by in the Elise. Try driving around in a Boxster and getting a 911 driver to wave back, rarely happens.

Registered
I wave at people with cool cars, 90% of them wave back or initiate the wave/thumbs up to me. Who never plays? Boxster owners. The more expensive Porsches actually are better; something about Boxsters.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Premium Member

Closet Petrolhead
Only been waved at from one car, and it was a nice old man in a Corvette.

But dudes on sportbikes give me the wave and thumbs up nearly every time.

I've never passed another Lotus - it's lonely up here, but I kindof like it that way. Was told today there's one other Evora - a yellow one - in town, but I've never seen it...

Registered
Had a guy in a 911 pull off the road into the gas station I was filling at just to give me a thumbs up. But in my Subaru I always waved and was waved to by other subie owners

Registered
I Daily a Golf R. I wave and get waves from other R's and R32's. I think when you own certain cars its like a sign of respect to wave cause you say, brother you have good taste too.

Registered
I got rid of my Jeep because I got wicked tennis elbow from all that god damned waving! :D

Registered
Growing up in Chicago, jeep people always waived to each other and it was a blast.

In Montana, jeeps hadn't even heard of waiving at each other, maybe because there are so many.

Registered
corvette

We pulled into McDonalds for a coffee break. A guy pulled in and parked next to us in a beautiful new corvette. He wanted to know if we had any Grey Poupon.

08 Elise SC
Wave?

I feel like if I ever saw another lotus while driving my lotus, I'd pull over so I could chat with the bloke. Don't see too many around here.

Less is Better
Boxters are the Porsche for people can't afford a real Porsche. No surprise they don't understand the culture. :)
I don't know what a Boxter is but the 986 Boxster has the lightest, most tactile, communicative, and controllable chassis of any Porsche since the 944 and any Porsche that came later. Real driving enthusiasts who want a Porsche and don't care about the status symbol aspect drive Boxsters.

Registered
Boxters are the Porsche for people can't afford a real Porsche. No surprise they don't understand the culture. :)
Oh please. Most of Porsche owners who never waved back when I had a Boxster where on 911s which is no surprise.

I could easily have got a 911 for what I paid for my S but it's that Porsche attitude that keeps me away from a 911.....and probably another Porsche.

Registered
Wife drives a C6 Corvette.
Here in Denver, there is a definite class system.
For average condition Vetts
C4's get very little respect, and pretty much only get waved at by other C4's
C5 will occasionally wave
C6 usually wave and act friendly
C7's sometimes wave.

Wife has a friend who traded her new Camaro for a C6 Vette because "Corvettes have to wave to each other".

Just to have fun, and pick on my friends with Corvettes, (and the fact you rarely see a Lotus), I have made a point of waving at SmartCars from the Lotus.

Most wave back, some look really confused.

Registered
Get alot more waves in my Subie, but alot more stares in the Lotus.

I have alot of respect for the Boxster. We have had a few traded in from time to time, and I have enjoyed driving them. It's not always what you can and can't afford. Even if I could afford to spend $100k+ on a car, I seriously doubt I would.

Some of the coolest guys I have ever met drive high $$$ cars, and some of the biggest D-bags drive cars in the $20-30k range and think their cars make them awesome.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts