The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a line on a cheap 111s out of england and was wondering if there is any difference between it and the standard federal elise. Body wise only difference I mean. Its missing its top and was wondering if our tops fit them.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Assuming this is a S2.

Rover K-engine on all 111s, including S2, right?

If so, I believe that the front access panels are different.

Roof should be the same, however.

Seems a long or mono-roof hartop was an option to replace the hardtop and standard short roof section (from the rollbar rearwards).

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

the first S2's had roofs like this iirc..subsequent models and the 111r don't cover the entire roll hoop area so not sure of fitting

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
As mentioned, the engine is different and minor bodywork as well as wheels and side markers. Where are you located? If you're in the US, you won't be able to import.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm in London and i'm not sure that UK Elises will work out all that cheaper... Auto Trader UK - LOTUS ELISE 111S 2dr Convertible (not sure if link will open in US. let me know if it doesn't)
Here's an ad for the cheapest 111 I could find ('03, 48k miles and £10k) and by the time you add shipping and currency exchange you're close to $17k.(and the steering wheel is on the wrong side). Didn't someone on here buy an 05 for under $20k?
(S1 Elises start at £5k for a high mileage '96 tho')!
As far as I can see (apart from the engine of course) they're identical bodywork wise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, lotus is lhd but low low miles, 2004, and really cheap. Want it for collecter car only. prob. get it in through canada(know some people;)).

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Want it for collecter car only. prob. get it in through canada(know some people;)).
It's not allowed in Canada either (it sounds like it is even harder to get one snuck into Canada). If you don't intend to drive it on the street, you can import any car into the US as a "show car" - limited to off road use only.

·
Registered
407 Posts
how about a comprehensive list

Front Access Panels
Rear Difuser
Rear Exhaust outlet panel
Rover K series engine
different rear sub frame
different rear wheel offsets (because of the sub frame)
No ABS or power assistance on the brakes (much better than the early toyota cars in feel though)
different clams (the Fed cars have those horrible DRL's)
Different steering wheel (111S didnt have airbags)
Different Guage Stack (front iluminated, not rear)

thats all i could think of for now

and for the record, the car pictured above is not a 111S, that just a normal K Series Elise

·
Registered
725 Posts
It's not allowed in Canada either (it sounds like it is even harder to get one snuck into Canada). If you don't intend to drive it on the street, you can import any car into the US as a "show car" - limited to off road use only.
Generally this "show car" clause is a misnomer. For the race car clause, you have to provide the documentation of the series that it is to be used for. You also have to convice someone or attest to the fact that you couldn't easily convert the car for road use.... So, very unlikely that a road-ready 2004 111s getting in legally until... 2029.

The US EPA and DOT consider any car over 25 years old to be 'classic' and exempt from importation restrictions. So this is the easiest way... just wait. I haven't had reason to look into this for a few years, but Canada's definition of 'classic' used to be quite a few years less, maybe 15 or 20 - which is why there is a general conception that getting cars imported by way of Canada is easier.

·
Registered
725 Posts
For anyone interested in the "show and display" clause - have a read. This is reproduced from the e30 ME SIG, May 2009. Should dispel some common misconceptions about the process. Also note from the pdf that the elise s1 and 340R have been previously denied.

Well, after a long process that began last year, I finally managed to legally import my Brilliant Red Sport Evolution into the US.

I obtained a "Show or Display" approval last year after I submitted a detailed application where I had to prove the car had historical and technological value since more than 500 SE were made. After that the car had to pass emissions tests meaning it was sent to an EPA lab. The tests were basically a series of dyno test, cold start tests and vapor leakage tests.

For those of you who are interested in this process, here are the official rules & regulations from NHTSA Vehicle Importation Regulations

Today, after a long wait, the ICI / RI told me they got the lab results and the car passed without any problems.

Technically speaking I didn't have to change anything in the car. I just did a full maintenance tuning including new catalytic converters but besides that, I didn't do anything special to get the car approved for the EPA tests.

The car is going to be in Los Angeles where I'm currently living after spending 9 year in Venezuela where I'm originally from. This car has traveled with me a couple of times now after I bought it in London in 1999, then Miami for a year, then Caracas - Venezuela for 9 years and now Los Angeles.

The process itself isn't that complicated, it just take some time and dedication, that's all. At the end I believe it was a combination of hard work, perseverance and some luck getting it approved, plus the fact the car was one of the few 50 officially imported into the UK from Germany. Maybe that was why NHTSA gave it the label Sport Evolution M3 (UK Version). Interesting enough someone else had filed a petition before me to get a Show or Display approval for a Sport Evo which was denied. Take a look at the latest NHTSA list at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/sdlist040109.pdf . My car is on the first page and the denied one in the "Not Eligible" section.

Whatever it was that got my car approved, I'm just happy it worked...

Thanks to some current and some ex SIG members who helped me at some point during this process, you know who you are...

I guess this also means some of the other E30 M3 Evo cars can be approved for Show or Display if a good application is submitted. It just requires the right amount of work and dedication.

Cheers,
Octavio.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
how about a comprehensive list

Front Access Panels
Rear Difuser
Rear Exhaust outlet panel
Rover K series engine
different rear sub frame
different rear wheel offsets (because of the sub frame)
No ABS or power assistance on the brakes (much better than the early toyota cars in feel though)
different clams (the Fed cars have those horrible DRL's)
Different steering wheel (111S didnt have airbags)
Different Guage Stack (front iluminated, not rear)

thats all i could think of for now

and for the record, the car pictured above is not a 111S, that just a normal K Series Elise
Looney has pretty much nailed it!

I got a line on a cheap 111s out of england and was wondering if there is any difference between it and the standard federal elise. Body wise only difference I mean. Its missing its top and was wondering if our tops fit them.
The key difference is the engine and lack of abs and airbags.

Bodywise the only differences on casual viewing is that it won't have the side repeaters (the US top fits the 111S). A more detailed inspection will reveal the difference in the front access panels (which some people miss even when the cars are side-by-side!) and no exhaust hole in the diffuser (rear exit exhaust).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts