The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is meant solely for the purpose of comparing these two pads. Please keep banter to a minimum.

I would like to accumulate all relevant information about these pads in one thread. Specifically fitting sizes p/n, wear on rotors, uses, and the like.

I'm about to be buying new pads, and Im sure other people would like this information. All the threads I have found have so much junk, its nigh impossible to discern which is legitimate information.

S111 sells the rs14, and describes it as "The preferred pad for Lotus track rats". But other people on this forum say it is a good street pad that will perform well under extreme conditions like auto-x or HPDE. Comments?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
...S111 sells the rs14, and describes it as "The preferred pad for Lotus track rats". But other people on this forum say it is a good street pad that will perform well under extreme conditions like auto-x or HPDE. Comments?
i can't recall ever seeing anyone refer to the rs14 (blacks) as a good street pad. it's not. it'll do, in between track sessions, but it will drive you nuts with the squeeling and will not perform optimally under light use.

i would expect that any discussion about brake pads will not be lacking in the "banter" department, for the very reason there are so many looong threads covering the topic. it's all opinion, aside from the fitment specs.

good luck. i've posted my opinions and the correct specs so many times i'm black and blue in the face (or fingers) ;)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
If you're looking for a track pad for the street, go with the RS42. I researched Pagid's pads pretty extensively before pulling the trigger. Cold performance (since that's what you'll have on the streets) with a reasonable compromise for high temps is what sold me. The RS42 is a much better pad from that perspective.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I run the RS14 Pagid Blacks as my street and track pad. I can tell you that whether or not you squeal is luck of the draw - mine don't but other sets have in the past :shrug:

Maybe the most significant issue if you do a lot of street miles is that any decent track pad is likely to show some pretty aggresive rotor wear, especially if used a lot "cold". For this reason the RS42 may be preferred to the RS14.

Other than that I don't have a problem with the RS14 performance as a street pad - the cold coefficient of friction is a fair bit higher than the RS42 - in fact the highest of all Pagid race pads - although this can make them seem grabby with a lot of initial bite if you are not used to them. Obviously the feel and whether this is acceptable is a subjective area.

Pagid Friction Graph

In terms of track performance, I found the RS42 unimpressive, especially compared to the RS14 blacks. They didn't seem to last long either.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Been using RS4-2 pads. Have RS14 pads waiting in the garage. Probably put them on next month. I'll report my experience back then.

xtn

·
Vendor
3,278 Posts
We sell both. I use the RS14s on the black XP car. These are a fantastic pad! However, they do squeak. If that is not acceptable, then the RS4-2s is the best way to go.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
We sell both. I use the RS14s on the black XP car. These are a fantastic pad! However, they do squeak. If that is not acceptable, then the RS4-2s is the best way to go.
How do they work at autocross? I've used them at the track and I was very impressed but I was afraid they would not be at temp for autocross.

·
Vendor
3,278 Posts
FANTASTIC! I find that when cold they have as much bite as stock. When warm it is better. Sometimes I drag the brakes on the way out of grid, but usually don't worry about it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Feedback from about 40 customers:
Customers have not reported wheel or paint corrosion with Pagids - not a one in 5 years

RS14/Blacks:
-About 80% use these on the street 100% of the time
-Most report quite decent bite when cold.
-Rotor wear seems to be a non-issue, pretty fantastic when you consider the Porker Porsches wear rotors a fair amount with Blacks.
-Dust is just ok
-Absolute tops for bite and consistency

RS42:
-All around great pad
-Higher pad 'wear down rate' than Blacks, about 50%-ish
-Handles hard track use pretty well
-Lighter dust than Blacks

***I've got 'em here and ready to go if you need them***

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sherry

You previously posted you have 98% highway miles and 2% twisties / stop-n-go. Why do you need a track pad at 2 or 3 times the money, also likely to wear your rotors faster?

Save the money and get the stock pads or an aggresive street EBC, Porterfield etc :shrug:

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
OEM pads are made by Textar. There's just an AP/Brembo logo stuck on 'em, but you can see the Textar logo embossed in the backing plate.

Front: 2032306 (EAN-number: 4019722256141)
Rear: 2041003 (EAN-number: 4019722256172)

Should be able to order these from regular parts shops.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You are correct. I was quoted 485$ for OEM front and rear pads. Was making sure my money was used wisely.

THe track pads seem cheaper:shrug::shrug:
Since this thread has already taken a tangent from the Original Poster's intent.....

I have run the EBC Ultimax part D491 on my rear brakes. I had to remove the shims that were glued on the backplate to get them to fit though. Seems to be a good street pad at a great price.

The Satisfied Pads on Tire rack are good front street pads, and if you get the part number off the tire rack website you can call Checker Auto Parts and pick them up locally by giving them the part number.

Search "satisfied" with "azreason" as the poster for more info.

One of this forum's sponsor should really carry inexpensive street pads like the one's I mentioned since most of the cars see mainly street duty.

·
Registered
393 Posts
OEM pads are made by Textar. There's just an AP/Brembo logo stuck on 'em, but you can see the Textar logo embossed in the backing plate.

Front: 2032306 (EAN-number: 4019722256141)
Rear: 2041003 (EAN-number: 4019722256172)

Should be able to order these from regular parts shops.

Bye, Arno.
Did a little checking. Apparently TMD Friction owns Textar, Pagid, Mintex, and a few other companies.

TMD Friction

Does anyone know if Textar pads are available here in the U.S.? So far, a bit of web searching has only turned up Autopartswarehouse.com which lists some applications but not the Lotus. Maybe they'd order them, but at what price?

·
Registered
740 Posts
You are correct. I was quoted 485$ for OEM front and rear pads. Was making sure my money was used wisely.

THe track pads seem cheaper:shrug::shrug:

Not sure if the Rennstore quote the pads per set:
if that's the case pads are approx $189 + $213 = $402, cheaper than stock :shrug:
If price is per individual pad: then 2*$189 + 2*$213 = $804, more expensive than stock (what I would expect).

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not sure if the Rennstore quote the pads per set:
if that's the case pads are approx $189 + $213 = $402, cheaper than stock :shrug:
If price is per individual pad: then 2*$189 + 2*$213 = $804, more expensive than stock (what I would expect).
The prices are per set, and they're cheaper than stock. Actually, the RS42s are a little cheaper the the RS14s, $180 + $205 = $385.

·
Registered
286 Posts
FWIW, the front Blues arrived late Tuesday May 6th (5 customers waiting, you've been notified via e-mail :cool: )

- RS14 Black and 42 Blue : everything is here, in stock -

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Since this thread has already taken a tangent from the Original Poster's intent.....

One of this forum's sponsor should really carry inexpensive street pads like the one's I mentioned since most of the cars see mainly street duty.
You can get the Hawk HPS street pads from The Tire Rack for really cheap.

They have them for both the front and the rear ($76 front, $80 rear). Wholesale is much less.

Can also get a set of "OEM replacements" for $24/set on Tire Rack rotfl

*edit* Use the link to help fund LotusTalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts