The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wrote a long message about what I was looking for and then hit some damn key and it jumped to another area in LotusTalk & I lost it all...

I am looking to buy an Evora....decided after doing more research, this was the better car for me over the Elise.

Can someone tell me the differences cosmically & mechanically between the 2011 & 2012?

I have read about the 2012 fixing a lot of issues the 2011 had...what were these issues that I need to watch out for in looking at 2011's...and were any of these fixed in the later-in-the-yr models? I've read about clutch cable upgrades...door latches...better audio & Navigation..IPS in the 2012...

I know the 2012 has a nicer interior, at least from the contrast stitching aspect...but what else. More comfortable seats?? better lighting??? instrument cluster???

What are the differences in performance?

Were ther options available in 2012 that were not offered in 2011???

I'm too tired to try to remember what else I wrote before...but any help sure is appreciated.

Happy Holidays to all

Mark in Mass

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
The key diffferences between 2011 ad 2012:
  • New leather interior and better stitching
  • New improved gearchange cables (big plus)
  • New better feel steering wheel
  • Modified engine ounts on the N/A
  • New door seals (supposedly less wind noise at high speeds)
  • Chnged from Alpine to Pioneer ICE
In total there were about 160-180 modifications, but most you will never notice. I've just listed the ones that make a visible and noticable difference.

There were no changes to engine or performance, seats, lighting, instrument cluster all the same.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Seat a very different design. Interior door handles padded leather not plastic.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
And.....it isn't that straightforward as 11s got some of these changes too. It wasn't one magic change incorporation line #. Changes were incorporated all along. My 11 NA (built 11/2010) didn't have many of the issues stated on the 10s.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Very true. My late 2011 S has a lot of the 2012 mechanical changes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't have a finite list of all the changes but I test drove a MY11 NA manual and bought a MY12 S manual and glad I did.

Reason was the interior of the 11 was not well put together, door pull and dash panels were hanging off + a couple of other issues and this was on a for sale vehicle at the dealer so I would have expected them to have prepped the car a lot better. Was this a reflection on the car or the dealer....maybe both.

But the drive was incredible, felt better than anything else I'd tested, including 911 turbo, Jag F-type etc etc. I suited my driving style so I said I wanted one.

The MY12 inside feels a lot better put together and the step up to the S is noticeable. Also, I felt that more recent model year / built versions would have more kinks ironed out of them and while I have had a couple of minor warranty issues (central door lock cable not hooked up, rear parking sensors not correctly programed with ECU), these are very minor and mechanically and interior-wise, everything is perfect.

Right now, I think you would get a great deal on a MY12. For me, I would not go MY11 if I had the choice.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Can someone tell me the differences cosmically & mechanically between the 2011 & 2012?
My personal experience tells me that the 2011 Evora S is cosmically the best car in the universe. :D

Reactions: Rodewaryer

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks very much...great info. Hard to believe a dealer would present a care to you he was trying to sell in that condition.

I'm looking at a 2011 NA in excellent condition and a 2012 but the 2012 is not an S and it is not my 1st choice in colors...good price...it's on eBay for $59,800 with 4100 miles...seems like a good deal but I haven't seen it in person or driven it...

Wanna sell your car...my favorite color combo...especially the Oyster interior...

Happy Holidays

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have a finite list of all the changes but I test drove a MY11 NA manual and bought a MY12 S manual and glad I did.

Reason was the interior of the 11 was not well put together, door pull and dash panels were hanging off + a couple of other issues and this was on a for sale vehicle at the dealer so I would have expected them to have prepped the car a lot better. Was this a reflection on the car or the dealer....maybe both.

But the drive was incredible, felt better than anything else I'd tested, including 911 turbo, Jag F-type etc etc. I suited my driving style so I said I wanted one.

The MY12 inside feels a lot better put together and the step up to the S is noticeable. Also, I felt that more recent model year / built versions would have more kinks ironed out of them and while I have had a couple of minor warranty issues (central door lock cable not hooked up, rear parking sensors not correctly programed with ECU), these are very minor and mechanically and interior-wise, everything is perfect.

Right now, I think you would get a great deal on a MY12. For me, I would not go MY11 if I had the choice.
I just noticed ...are you in Austin, TX. The red one on eBay is in Stafford, TX....not a Lotus dealership. Any thoughts on this deal?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
if prices are similar, but the 11 is out of warranty...warranty is a very nice thing to have

my late production 10 had some of the early quirks (not nearly as many as the launch edition) but warranty has replaced all with 12-13 MY parts, so my problems are less and less. that being said the 12 interiors are still nicer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just noticed ...are you in Austin, TX. The red one on eBay is in Stafford, TX....not a Lotus dealership. Any thoughts on this deal?
Hard to say as cannot get the vehicle history link to work to see which Lotus dealer it came from or where it has been since then so can then phone them up and get them to talk through what has been done on the car. Also 2 owners after 4k miles has me curious.

BUT...coincidently I will be down that way tomorrow so I can take a look in person for you. I'll call the seller tomorrow morning and see if I can hook up with them and I'll report back!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Viper, you know... this is fun for us ;-) We love to see people buy fun cars ;-) Merry Xmas!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts