·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
611 Posts
my question relates to the difference say 50k miles down the road having the Toyota 6 Super vs. the Merc 4 turbo as to engine longevity, gas savings, performance degradation, emission, etc.
Longevity: we'll see, nobody knows. People like to talk about how stressed the AMG engine is, but it's designed/built for it. The Toyota V6 wasn't, the SC was added after the fact, but the engine is stout and the boost levels are minimal.
Gas Savings: turbo I4. That's why it exists... and turbo's are way more fuel efficient (see last bullet point)
Performance Degradation: tough one... assuming you can measure or feel it, I'd guess the Toyota and only because the SC is fixed displacement. I'd still call it a tie.
Emissions: turbo I4. Most confident about this answer... here's the data direct from Lotus ;)

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Screenshot

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
117 Posts
IMO the Toyota v6 is probably gone after 1-2 years, as I don't think this powertrain was designed with modern emission regulation in mind. Lotus will probably introduce the high-output version of the 2.0T by then.

·
Registered
178 Posts
AMG inline 4 will have electric assisted steering instead of hydraulic with the V6.
No, the AMG I4 will have the exact same hydraulic steering rack as the V6.

However, the I4's hydraulic steering rack will have its pressure provided by an electric pump that will be located in the front, whereas the V6's rack will be powered by a pump that is driven off the engine.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
817 Posts
Longevity: we'll see, nobody knows. People like to talk about how stressed the AMG engine is, but it's designed/built for it. The Toyota V6 wasn't, the SC was added after the fact, but the engine is stout and the boost levels are minimal.
Gas Savings: turbo I4. That's why it exists... and turbo's are way more fuel efficient (see last bullet point)
Performance Degradation: tough one... assuming you can measure or feel it, I'd guess the Toyota and only because the SC is fixed displacement. I'd still call it a tie.
Emissions: turbo I4. Most confident about this answer... here's the data direct from Lotus ;)

View attachment 1310907
The supercharger was added after the fact, but by Toyota. The engine in the Evora S is an Australian market offering by Toyota. Toyota wouldn't sell an engine that was overstressed. All Lotus did for newer cars is lower intake temperature and turn up the boost slightly.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts

View attachment 1310907
Logevity>>>>>>, isn't that what Porsche said about IMS, BMW said about V8, Audi said about timing chains, Mercedes said about turbo seals? I doubt there are more than 1-2 Toyota v6 fails under normal driving below 100K. Most I have heard of are money shifts......Toyota motor is 99% no brainer here
I don't give a rats a$$ about 0-60, no brainer with DCT and UBER short gearing, wonder which runs out of air sooner above 100....that is where most small displacement , high psi at low rpm turbos fail....even my Stelvio with Multiair...till tuned. Testing from 60-120, 80-140 will tell the tale., With proper gearing (MWR) I start to reel lots of cars back in on long straights surprisingly unless you get in the 500++zone. and yes that includes many Caymans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.