The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the ever-increasing power levels, what other differences occurred between 2010 and the present? Is there a Wiki or similar where this information has already been cataloged?

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Service notes are one place where some changes are noted. The parts lists do mention what MYs/serials an applicable part applies to. And some sites (like Deroure) will list when parts have been superseded by a newer part.

But as to a single one-stop place where all of this info could be found, I would have to say I haven't seen one yet.

·
Illegal Alien
5,000 Posts
As agentdr8 stated, the service notes is a good start, also US lagged European changes

But to summarize for US: Late 2011 intro of S with SC and revised suspension; 2012 - interior quality improvement, new shifter cables & cable foundation at shifter; mid-2012 - revised postless door locks, NA cars got S suspension; 2015 - not offered; 2016 - Series 2 cars (400) intercooler SC, larger brakes, new clutch, new chassis with lower/narrower entry sills, new nose and rear bumpers, new wing style, new interior, side air bags with seat change from Recaro to Sparco; 2017 - Sport 410 version added, improved downforce w/ duck tail and front under chassis weeks, sport tuned shocks, lower ride height, Li battery, Ti exhaust, extensive use of CF to lower weight officially 132 lbs (euro) but as weighted US trim about 90 lbs savings; 2018 - n/c; 2019 - not offered; 2020 - GT version 16 Hp power increase, HD clutch, baffled oil pan, Sport 410 suspension, cf sparco seats, cf restyled rear bumper, front fender vents aft of wheel and above wheel, remainder build to suit more as a 400 or a 410 w/ optional cf package of Sport 410 including.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
@Julian73: Thanks!

Are there any features in your list that some people see as "must have", or is this all incremental improvements?
Shifter cables/assembly is probably the biggest and most desirable change for me. And the addition of seat heaters in serials >BH_11178. lol

Maybe better transmission gears in the later CR boxes too. But it doesn't seem to be a guaranteed issue on older CR boxes, as there's plenty that haven't grenaded themselves.

·
Scott M
293 Posts
The following runs against conventional wisdom on this board, but Dave Simkin of Lotus North America (or whatever) disagrees the "upgraded" cables are a good thing on base models. He mentioned something about insufficient cooling for the cables on NA models compared to the SC ones. If I recall that LOG conversation correctly, he said NA cars melt the cables if running those of the SC cars.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
The following runs against conventional wisdom on this board, but Dave Simkin of Lotus North America (or whatever) disagrees the "upgraded" cables are a good thing on base models. He mentioned something about insufficient cooling for the cables on NA models compared to the SC ones. If I recall that LOG conversation correctly, he said NA cars melt the cables if running those of the SC cars.
Hmm, that's odd. I'm not sure how that would be, given the cable routing is the same, unless the SC cables have less insulation or something?

I probably wouldn't go that route at this point anyhow, since the Inokinetic ShiftR and cables are comparable in price, more available, etc.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
591 Posts
The issue with the cables could also be due to the difference in undertray? Remember the S cars have an extra vent.

Asfar as wanting to go from a pre 2012 to +2012, I don't see much of a difference aside from heated seats. Most people here throw a cover on their car when the first leaf hits the ground so unless you plan to actually drive the car in the winter, I wouldn't worry much about that.

For the other interior bits, you can always update on your own as parts fail /when you want. I've added sill plates and leather door pulls on my 2011. (Threw in the pics)

Asfor the transmission, my plan was when the clutch failed to take care of everything in 1 shot. Hence why I had all the parts instock on my own. Now that the car is getting a new rear frame, I just paid extra for the parts to be installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
With all due respect to Dave, I don't think that's a serious concern. I've been running the upgraded cables in my '11 NA for years, in all weathers and at all speeds, including scorching Texas summers. There have been times when the engine bay was hot enough that I burned my arm on the rollbar stanchion, but I've never cooked a cable. Clutch slaves, yes...

·
Registered
288 Posts
The two biggest things for me was the door sills and the shifter cables. The shift feeling on my early S1 was my least favorite feature, until I sat in an Evora 400, then the door sills became #1. I gotta say, I love the S2!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts