The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have yet to see a thread discussing what they did to go from 400HP on said models to the 416HP on the GT's. Is it just state of tune, boost, or are other mechanicals involved?

·
Loves to talk
918 Posts
If there were another one or two thousand Evora 400s on the road here we'd already have uprated tunes being offered by multiple tuners but given the population, I assume everybody working on such things also has a day job and has put developing a range of 400 tunes on the "if or when we get around to it" list.

I got 40 HP and a like amount of torque from ASR when I bought their $500 tune for my GTI. Just the tune, no hardware and instantly noticeable with no downsides or lack of reliability. Even fuel consumption seems unaffected.

We all know forced induction motors can be made to yield bigger numbers for essentially the cost of a download. But we are few and don't command a big after market for such things.

The increases achieved with a simple APR tune on my VW would transform my 400 and create a monster for which no excuses would be required. All we need is somebody to see the worth in developing and supporting it specifically for our local market. Lacking that, I retain interest in and willingness to install the Komotech tunes already available and will do that when our current nightmare scenario comes to an end. I do wish the distribution of the Komotch tune was a little more organized...or that such a thing finally became available here from our local resources.

·
Premium Member
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where this is going is simple. Lotus could provide us the upgrade from 400/410 specs to GT. Not remotely a deal breaker...was just curious. Like the old Esprit upgrade from S4 to S4S.
My insidious brain is looking looking at 2 pick bundle type of deal at a dealership that desperately needs to shed inventory...if I have any money left after all of this!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Where this is going is simple. Lotus could provide us the upgrade from 400/410 specs to GT. Not remotely a deal breaker...was just curious. Like the old Esprit upgrade from S4 to S4S.
My insidious brain is looking looking at 2 pick bundle type of deal at a dealership that desperately needs to shed inventory...if I have any money left after all of this!
You'd probably have better luck trying to get a dealer to install a GT ECU "under the table" than ever getting an official package that has such strong potential to further hurt residual values on the GT range.

·
Premium Member
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why would it hurt residual values? If anything, it would bolster residual values of 400's, which in turn, would bolster current values of GT's IMHO.
I do understand the under the table scenario. Anyone remember how it was done back in the Esprit days taking an S4 up to S4S specs?

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Why would it hurt residual values? If anything, it would bolster residual values of 400's, which in turn, would bolster current values of GT's IMHO.
I could see it hurting because part of the reason to pay extra for the GT is the higher power. If it can be done cheaper in the 400, losing just one buyer is a decent fraction of sales. Preserving hierarchy in a vehicle lineup is usually a pretty rigid policy

·
Illegal Alien
4,746 Posts
Will never happen under regulatory climate, besides the updated ECU would not accept the conflicting VIN number

·
Registered
223 Posts
$2k buys you WAY more power with an aftermarket tune that is readily available and can be flashed at home. Why the hell would I pay Lotus what is surely much more money for a piddly 16 hp????

It would be more worthwhile to buy GT's aero/carbon/bumpers for a 400. There is no upside to the GT in terms of power.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I could see it hurting because part of the reason to pay extra for the GT is the higher power. If it can be done cheaper in the 400, losing just one buyer is a decent fraction of sales. Preserving hierarchy in a vehicle lineup is usually a pretty rigid policy
For me the extra power means nothing, it’s the changes to the exterior, different rear cap, front wheel arch vents + some nice interior mods over the 400. Plus, I believe msrp on a GT is less then a similarly spec’d 400

That being said it would be interesting to see what the actual difference is on a Dyno between a 400 + GT

·
Illegal Alien
4,746 Posts

... That being said it would be interesting to see what the actual difference is on a Dyno between a 400 + GT
Rear decat pipe get you most of way back from 416 to 430 Hp (about 422)on the GT's Same engine, very similar tune, but for Cali, NY markets they needed the downstream extra Cat so power dropped from the 430.

·
Premium Member
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All good answers. It was not about the 16HP was just curious what changed. I asked because on the one hand, I like the look of the GT as much as my S, but a dealer has a fully loaded 2018 , special color etc that intrigues me esp if I could get them to firesale a leftover IPS for the wife and in turn, trade in a 2012 Miata and my Evora S while it is in perfect running order but now going on 10 years old. Just pondering with all my free time.

·
Registered
420 Posts
All good answers. It was not about the 16HP was just curious what changed. I asked because on the one hand, I like the look of the GT as much as my S, but a dealer has a fully loaded 2018 , special color etc that intrigues me esp if I could get them to firesale a leftover IPS for the wife and in turn, trade in a 2012 Miata and my Evora S while it is in perfect running order but now going on 10 years old. Just pondering with all my free time.
The answer is, just do it!:)

·
Premium Member
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No can do with ZERO dollars of production! History will show that shutting down all the healthcare workers was a bridge too far....if you were providing essential care..not giving massages.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At Lotus of Indianapolis (Gator Motorsport) I have done inspections on about 8 GTs. The main differences I have noticed are obviously the Aero; front fender vents rear bumper vents, the rear bumper is carbon. The A-pillar lower panels that are behind the front wheel are redesigned for more air to exit the wheel well. Also, it is rumored that the new A-pillar lower panel is carbon as well. I have not personally removed the paint to verify.

Also they added a new baffled oil pan. The red-painted oil pan indicates that there are baffles, it is the same size and shape as the OE pan. There are rubber baffles installed in the pan. The service manual states they should be replaced every 2 years.

obviously the interior is an upgrade as well, carbon seats, and many other classy touches.

Let me know if there is anything you guys want me to check out for you.

·
Premium Member
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Baffles to replace every 2 years???? YIKES. Oil pan has nothing blocking it at least but why not metal that does not deteriorate?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lotus sells the baffle replacement kit for around $100. It's a pretty easy job to get the pan off. Not too much hassle to do every few years. Not sure why they didn't go metal.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Pulling the pan off every 2 years sounds ridiculous. If you dont do it im guessing its falls apart and blows your engine up?

Anyone want to put money on the 'Rubber to Metal baffle' recall in a couple of years? :)

·
Premium Member
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Julian did his oil pan on all his rides. Looks like a no brainer , off the showroom floor mod.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts