The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be changing out my Chargecooler pump soon, the PO took out the mechanical one and used a bilge pump from Walmart, yes it does get the job done but it looks like hell and I don't trust it one bit. What pumps do you guys use/ recommend? Maybe attach some links for them if you know where to get them? Thanks

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I can only add that I heard back things about the pumps that PUK sells from chatter on TheLotusForums.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Here's the specs for my pump
http://www.depcopump.com/datasheets/jabsco/18510-Series 2003.PDF#search='jabsco centri puppy

I didn't have to hack any wiring, mine plugs into the EBPV circuit which already has a dedicated 10A fuse and relay. Pump switches on before cranking so I can bleed, then off when the car starts until the engine is up to temp and then back on for the rest of the drive.

See this for more info on different pumps Electric Chargecooler Water Pump / Adding more water / Jabsco / Johnson

Here's my install

No change to the wiring of the Lotus other, than removal of the EBPV valve and the throttle jack capsule.

The connector is a GM Metri-Pack 150, they look like this Metri-Pack Components & Tools | Metri-Pack System | Metri-Pack Electrical Connections | Automotive Electrical Connections | Automotive Electrical Connectors

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Just a quick look at the specs for your pump and it doesn't sound like a good option for those that drive in the rain.

"The pump must be mounted in a dry location – the
motor is not waterproof and must not be submerged.
The unit can be mounted in any desired position. It is
best to mount so that water dripping from loose port
connection will not wet the motor."

·
Registered
576 Posts
Travis has a good system and install.

I put a Rule bait well pump into my SE and S4. They make several models with different flow rates and connectors for the plumbing. In my SE it is installed up front where the horn used to be. On the S4 it is on the chassis low on the passenger side below the coils. These are centrifugal pumps that require a low mount, but they are waterproof. They also have motor cartridges that can be replaced.

I agree that a good flow rate helps. I haven't done temp readings, like Travis, but my chargecooler with extra insulation stays cool to cold to touch despite hard driving.

Randy

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Looks like that BOSCH pump draws less than 5A. Should be good to wire it the way I did.

dstevens,

What was the temp that day? If this was on a dyno, was there air flowing over the radiator? That intake temp is a little on the high side. I'm boosting to 1.1bar and not seeing temps that high on a 100F day. Is that a supercharger thing?

·
Inactive
831 Posts
Ambient was around 70F. It was on the dyno, and there was a small amount of air over the front heat exchangers.

I had a M62 supercharger on a Honda engine with a small intercooler core. The SC flow is off the flow map, but efficiency would be around 50%. The IC core is all that will fit in the manifold, so is very small. Thus intake temperatures are very high and the engine runs right at the edge of detonation, so I have to be careful with fuel quality.

Since then I've started to put a new SC together which should be around 71.5% efficient at 1 bar, and about 4 times the IC surface area, so the intake temps should be a lot better. Again I probably will run it fairly close to detonation, it will just make more power...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input guys, I like Travis's setup for a couple reasons, the fact that the pump will run with engine off which helps in bleeding, the fact it plugs in to factory harness, and I like the way it mounts so it is out of sight (mine is right on the side of the intake and anytime I show someone the engine it is an eye sore and they never say nice work with the engine look/ mods they always say "is that a bilge pump"), I'm not to worried about the rain I usually avoid taking the car out in it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In looking at the pp comparison link they no longer offer the 18510 model and now it is the 58030 model? If you don't mind me askin did you get it directly from jabsco and what was the cost?

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I'm not to worried about the rain I usually avoid taking the car out in it.
You could probably wrap the pump in a thick plastic bag to keep it dry for those days you get caught in the rain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts