The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Exige has been difficult to shift into reverse. The difficulty has cause my shifter broken.

I've changed to SSC shift and crossgate cable and a new oem shifter. Now shifting into reverse only VERY slightly improved. Still need come force to push the shifter to the left.

Is there something wrong with the gearbox? No problem getting into 1-6 gears though.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Uh, there is a reverse lockout mechanism.
Tug on the shifter collar up and then put it in reverse... or it may have been damaged/broken. :shrug:
+1 - did you replace/fix this?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have "no" problem pulling up the collar. But when pushing the shifter to the left most for reverse gear, it is hard...really hard...going into 1st and 2nd is easy though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah, same here, ssc cable upgrade is good but I still struggle getting into reverse.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I have problem pulling up the collar
This is most likely your issue....

·
Registered
831 Posts
I had the part that lies right under the reverse collar break apart, or more accurately, pull apart, causing a similar problem. When you pull down the boot you can see that the metal extension of the collar is mated with a plastic piece that has the small cable that transmits the collar's pull motion. The metal/plastic connection came apart, so when I pulled on the collar, the cable heading towards the shift mechanism wasn't actuated.

A few loops of wire solved the issue.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can it be the linkage or the mechanism inside the gearbox causing the difficulty to push the leaver into the reverse location?

I have no problem getting into gears. But need extra, really extra force to push the gear leaver to the left most where we needed to push into reverse gear.

I have opened up the center console and see, the collar mechanism is fine. No block or whatsoever.

I have SSC crossgate and shift cable. Unfortunately the shift feel is same ****ty as stock...

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I had the same problem as Andy7777. The aluminum collar (the one you pull, which is connected to the leather boot of the shifter) separated from the plastic sleeve inside of the collar. The plastic sleeve is connected to a cable at the bottom, which disables the reverse lockout mechanism. I epoxied the two parts (collar and sleeve) back together, and now it works fine. Before it was fixed, I had to resort to groping for the plastic sleeve, through the leather boot, grasp the sleeve through the boot, and lift it, to get the car into reverse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts