The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just picked up an 07 Exige a few weeks ago and have noticed that it is impossible to get it into first gear if I am moving any faster than barely rolling. Almost as if there are no syncros on first. Anyway, just wanted to know if this is how all exige gear boxes are or if I have bad syncros.. (tried seaching couldent find anything. Im probably not good at searching though)

Goes in fine if i rev match the gear box (clutch out in neutral), or double clutch but sometimes its kind of annoying. :shrug:

Havent had this problem with other cars.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Blipping the throttle during downshift helps.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have found the same thing. Helps when the car warms a bit. I find it with most small torque/small engined cars and the way they're geared, worse when they're FWD. You only need first when moving from a stationary stop anyway, though. It's not impossible, (or shouldn't be) but you will find resistance. You know what also helps sometimes? Transmission service. Out with the old fluid, in with the new.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If you think the Loti is bad for it btw, step into my daily '91 Corolla. First is so jerky and straight it whines louder than reverse and you've got NO chance getting it unless you've basically stopped completely. Very. Annoying.
:p

·
Registered
411 Posts
It's working as intended. 1st is not fully synchroed. Many cars are like that.
Double clutch into first above 5 or 10 mph. If it's something you're not used to, don't worry. Most times when you want to go into first it's cuz you're slowing for heavy traffic or in a parking lot. You have plenty of time to execute it. Clutch out... goose the throttle... clutch back in.... ease the shifter. With a light pressure on the shifter, you'll feel it go right in when the RPMs are matched.
My opinion... if you drive these cars right you only need 1st gear once a day.... and the brakes once at the end of the day. :)

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
My '06 Exige goes into first easily with a small blip, even at a decent clip. Then again, my trans must have been made on Wednesday, 'cause in 24,000 miles I have never had a single issue that people regularly complain about.

And speaking of brakes, wdonovan, I only use mine at stopsigns and stoplights, otherwise I simply turn the car, no need for brakes at all. I love this freaking car!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
my Exige is the same. You just have to get used to it.
Similar story, but much toned down for me. The shift quality simply goes down [effort higher, syncros less cooperative] in 1st and/or cold. Having the trans warm + throttle blip helps matters. The trans fluid cocktail definitely helps, but it's still not perfect.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
ditto to the above..the Elige setup just seems to have a notoriously difficult first gear to come back into...

one thing I have found that helps in conjunction with the double clutching...take your time...if you rush it most often it won't be syncrod--but you can slide it into the gate and sort of feel it stop, but if you take your time and just let it set, once the syncros mesh up it will slide right in. If you try to "force" it in it won't let you..just let it take it for you..if that makes sense?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
My opinion... if you drive these cars right you only need 1st gear once a day.... and the brakes once at the end of the day. :)
So you have a condo on the Nurburgring, and your job is to go "warm up the track" in the morning? :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I haven't tried double clutching but the times that I've forced it, I got a crunching sound/feeling. I've avoided it since.

I've had a LETSLA sitting around for a while. Always wondered if that would help if geometry/alignment of the cables has anything to do with it.

First gear in my old mr2 turbo sucked, too, so I don't find it a super big deal.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If you think the Loti is bad for it btw, step into my daily '91 Corolla. First is so jerky and straight it whines louder than reverse and you've got NO chance getting it unless you've basically stopped completely. Very. Annoying.
:p
... Which just broke down today and left me carrying my shopping about a km home by foot. Shouldn't have said anything :huh::eek: :p

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
btotheje,
I am with you there brother. First time I posted about shifting, my reverse lockout collar failed/separated a week later. The second time I posted, the shift cable broke a couple days later. It is just bad Karma to talk about Lotus shifters apparently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm interesting to hear the variety of first gears out there. Mine seems to be one of the more severe cases where with light constant pressure it will not slip in untill just as I come to a stop. Im fine with the double clutching with rev match and have found it to work well... just wanted to make sure I wasnt trying to work around a problem caused by something that should be fixed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts