The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'07 Exige S, the car is brand new so some of this may loosen up a bit during the break-in. However, what is curious to me is sometimes the shifting is real easy then other times going from 5th to 4th just will not happen. I don't think the shifter alway's lines up perfectly in the 3-4 position. Futhermore when going towards 1st and 2nd the reverse lever moves a bit. Not enough to get it over to reverse but, enough that the cable must be a little tight. Doesn't seem to be a problem going up through the gears just downshifting. Does this seem normal? Perhaps things just need to loosen up a bit?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I know you've had a lot of difficulty finding the perfect Lotus for you. I hope this one works out for you in the end. It does take time to break the cars in and for them to learn your ways. I've had mine almost 4 years and don't have any major complaints. Whenever I've had shifting issues, I just put it into another gear without letting go of the clutch just to get some movement going. And don't worry, it happens Lamborghini's too. Good luck to you. :up:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
I'd say get 1000 miles on it and see what happens... mine was the same way and it got just fine after a while.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your responses. It does make one feel better. I was thinking some mileage would sort a few things out.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
as well, mine would hit the wall trying to go into 3rd. - nothing, just gate and no gear... no problems now, synthetic (after about 5k miles) helps a lot.

we can do the stiffen your shifter plate mod as well to give better feel.

but i would say 90% better after 1k miles is typical

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sector 111 makes a very simple stiffening device that is fairly cheap, and there is another modification called "Stan's Shifter Modification" that you can read about on this forum and that only costs a few bucks in parts. If you do both of these you will find that the shifter assembly becomes much more solid and some, if not all of the baulkiness goes away. These were my first mods.

Jerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts