The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I like what you've done with your other cars, but this just seems way out of proportion to me. Is there a point at which it becomes comical?

It reminds me of this:
If it has to be explained to you...

How can you compare functionnal aero parts to cheesy japanese cartoon cars?

Oh well. :wallbang:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I like what you've done with your other cars, but this just seems way out of proportion to me. Is there a point at which it becomes comical?
you've seen this right? the Hoover?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it has to be explained to you...

How can you compare functionnal aero parts to cheesy japanese cartoon cars?

Oh well. :wallbang:
I felt bad for posting that afterwards under the "if you don't have anything good to say..." concept - but I don't think that comment deserves condescension and a wallbang. I am very familiar with the function of a diffuser, and understand the connection with the marque. Much like the Japanese cartoon car I am sure that it is somewhat functional but it doesn't appear to be engineered for efficiency and function but rather designed for cosmetics and geeking out over the appearance of function.

The point of my comment was that it appears to be well-built like the rest of Darkside's products and work, but that it appears to be a cosmetic mod that in this beholder's eye is out of proportion from both a design and supposed functional standpoint. I could be wrong - and if I am please do explain it to me.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly. That looks to be a functional item designed in conjunction with the balanced front splitter and - most importantly - a continuous undertray with side skirts that channels the laminar air flow underneath the car and wheel wells into the diffuser. That should be functional and thus is proportional to the rest of the aero system on the car.

At any rate, I hate posting this stuff in Darkside's thread - maybe a mod can move it into a separate thread discussing the form versus function of over-sized tack-on diffusers or something. (Sorry Darkside).

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Well a diffuser is part of a complex ground effect system where the whole underside of the car acts as a venturi system. The idea of the diffuser is to let air expand and slow down before getting into the slow moving air at the rear of the car.

Reverie found out in Mira windd tunnel that longer vanes helped keep the out side air (high pressure) from leaking in the diffuser (low pressure) by side vanes. In fact, Lotus diffuser design is about as bad as it gets. The vanes are too short and not long enough so the sides are totally useless. The center vane is almost as bad with the exhaust going ou of it screwing the whole airflow.

Darkside design seems to have longer and deeper side vanes wich is good. They also added more vanes and this kind of design usually helps keep the flow laminar and improve the diffuser effectiveness.

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised they used a Reverie diffuser to create their own. They look about the same. So that tells me the whole thing probably works.

Would side skirt help? Sure! So would a big fan sucking air from the underside of the car (Chapparal). But that doesn't mean the diffuser is not good. Or that it should be compared to a cartoon car.

The hoover car has such a long diffuser that it the end, it might be not doing any good. But it also might be doing an excellent job. That's what's tough with aero mods. Unless it has been wind tunnel tested (or at least CFD tested) we never really know the full effect of aero stuff. I guess we'll know when the car hits the track.

Darkside stuff is so close to normal diffuser design that I'm pretty sure it is working very well.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Don't care much for the diffuser, but I'd LOVE to have that front splitter....anyone know who makes it ?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The hoover car has such a long diffuser that it the end, it might be not doing any good. But it also might be doing an excellent job. That's what's tough with aero mods. Unless it has been wind tunnel tested (or at least CFD tested) we never really know the full effect of aero stuff. I guess we'll know when the car hits the track.
True enough. I believe it set the fastest time of the day in the Time Trials at the first Lotus Challenge Series event, in damp conditions...

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Don't care much for the diffuser, but I'd LOVE to have that front splitter....anyone know who makes it ?
#86 is Brent Bauman. I'm sure he knows!

Also Hypersport's Exige has a similar large front splitter, but it sounds like this car too, its more than that and is a complete undercar plate that extends out to the sides. I don't think it was production, but they made one and they do run a shop- so you know the old saying.... For enough money.....

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Well..Brent made it himself, sills, splitter, undertray, diffuser - that car hauls bootay and won the Cup class at LCS :)

As far Darkside's car, the thing looks awesome!

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I think from certain angles it deceptively looks like it sticks out further because you see more of the top of it with the rear panel being eliminated. The above pics don't make it as extreme.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I was thinking it (the Darkside diffuser) could be a few inches longer too. If/when I get one this is the one I want.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think from certain angles it deceptively looks like it sticks out further because you see more of the top of it with the rear panel being eliminated. The above pics don't make it as extreme.
Your totally right. From the side it look like it sticks out 6 in, but if you look at it straight down from the back... it really doesn't stick out much.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts