The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and read through the Interior/Exterior forum, no luck. If there is a thread, please point me in that direction.

Stock diffuser is in good shape, except for a couple of what look like watermarks, similar to posts I have seen of using Simple Green on aluminum.

I tried Nevr Dull on a test section but that just buffed up the sections where the anodization has been damaged, leaving a shiny spot amongst the rest of the matte finish.

Before going bananas :nanner2: and painting the diffuser, wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to correct discolorations on the stock aluminum diffuser?

Done a bit of research on the interwebs and looks like best bet is painting/powdercoating the diffuser element, but want to see if there is anything I can do before launching down that route.

Cheers,

Cap

·
Registered
132 Posts
I used Plasti-Cote 282 cast aluminum finish on the center section only of my diffuser and it is absolutely impossible to see the difference until your nose is within 6 inches of it.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
If it is something ON the finish... try using a clay bar.

xtn

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yup, same spots, RoadDad (although much less pronounced).

I'll keep looking. Sounds like my biggest problem will be running out of hidden test patches on the diffuser before I find a workable solution. :p

Edit: xtn missed your post...it appears to be discoloration of the surface coating. Surface feels smooth to the touch so not expecting clay will do much, but heck, i'll give it a go, too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed. I'm just not going to be able to get to painting it for a couple weeks. I like instant gratification.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you want to go crazy, try a green Scotchbrite pad, or Eagle 1 Etching Mag Cleaner. Either will remove excess oxidation (as well as soot), the former mechanically, the latter chemically.

Probably all my previous soot cleaning attempts made the center section turn splotchy white. I did a half-assed job of painting the center, just to see how it would look. The painted area matches the original very closely. The area with the rivets is not painted. Yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
On my black diffuser, I used some engine degreaser on all the under belly panels. I guess my parts washer brush was a bit stiff as it started to take the black paint off the diffuser and make streak marks. Imagine Lotus used a pretty crappy finish/paint when the piece should be powder coated or anodized. Just a great excuse to upgrade to a carbon fiber one.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Please send me pics :) to [email protected] as I probably have a very good solution. I just need a visual. I've had tons of success restoring the areas surrounding the exhausts with a few simple things, but I need to know if what I will suggest is for your issue.
Thanks,
Ciro

1 - 10 of 10 Posts