The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Diffuser Painting Project PICTURES!

This has been discussed before but I thought I would post my experience.

Starting off, I went to AutoZone and purchased:

black door edge trim

400 grit wet dry paper

1 can self etching primer

2 cans of krylon satin black

1 can of metal cleaner

Got home and removed the diffuser.Removed the trim and then scraped the silicone off of the edges. I washed it with soap and water. Wet sanded both sides. Then I used the cleaner to get any impurities off of the metal.

This morning I applied 2 coats of the primer and let sit until 4 this evening. I applied 3 coats of the satin paint. Let sit for about an hour and then Installed the new black edge trim. This stuff went on so easy.

I then reinstalled the diffuser. Its too dark now for photos. But it turned out great. I will post later on how its holding up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I was working on the same thing today minus the self etching primer. Hum might have been a good idea to do so, o well. Good luck I'd like to see pictures of your when you are done.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Too funny.
Did my diffuser 2 days ago.
Removed diffuser and cleaned it. I scrubbed it with paint thinner and course steel wool. Then painted it with flat black BBQ paint. Will see how it sticks. Got some black trim from the dealer. The trim I got from the dealer could have been 18 inches longer.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I am going with out the trim. I like the raw look! I will update how mine works out as well.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I am finishing mine up today will post pics tomorrow. Did any one else have a bear of a time getting the silicon off? It took me forever using a razor blade, sandpaper, and goo gone. I am glad I wont have to do that ever again.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it was a bear..did you see the pics I just put them up

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I did mine a little over a week ago but had it powdercoated matte black. My car is orange... I wanted some orange door edge trim but they don't make it. I think that would look great and just give the tiny orange accent that the diffuser needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
jmiesse it looks GREAT! I just put my last coat on and am going to do an oil change now, let the paint dry, put the diffuser back on then take some pics.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Damn, that looks nice. And I just happen to have some 1200 degree flat black stove paint........I think I'll spritz the bolt heads and washers too, though.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my car is Silver. I thought the black trim looked good on the naked diffuser. but for my preference I like it the way it is. Personally I think yours looks great with your car color like it is. I think adding different color trim might change the look to a look that might get old quick. Thats just my 2c

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For you guys using the door edge trim, are you using any additional adhesive to attach it to the diffusor?

I bought some black silicone but I didn't use it. It appears that the adhesive on the inside is doing ok so far. If it starts to loosen I will add the silicone.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
qu1z, What did you use to brighten up your exhaust tips?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Ok finished oil change, painting, and its all back together.

I am thrilled at how it turned out! I am going with the black theme.

Here is a before shot.
New camara 1 298.JPG

Here is the afters.
[/ATTACH]

I also finished removing the rest of the heat shield and wrapped the exhaust, huge improvement. I should have done this right from the start. I now have Black Rota Torque wheels on to continue the black theme that you can not see.

Now I just need it to rain and wash away the rocks and salt so I can get out and drive.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts