The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lotus USA posted about the AiM Digital Dash being available for Elise and Exige. And @Kageorg11 asked for one for the Evora and Lotus replied that its "coming soon". Now that would be very interesting.

Has anyone done a digital dash in their Evora? I did see 2012 Evora Track Car, SOLD had an AiM unit mounted in front of the standard Evora display.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Evora EV conversion project did a custom digital dash IIRC.

EDIT: This one: Lotus Evora Tesla EV Build
AH yes though that project changed a lot more than just the dash haha

Maybe they mean in a new Evora model?
Perhaps. They have said "coming soon" on replies about bringing more than the Evora model to the US (on posts where they show off the latest Exiges that we can't get) But I'm hoping it would be a plug and play upgrade for S1+ Evoras.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
446 Posts
If this is real, I hope it's a option and not standard equipment. I'm not an Lotus owner yet, but one of the most attractive things about Lotus is they don't "over-tech" their vehicles like virtually everyone else. I love technology but it needs to be applied applied appropriately. Just my personal opinion... a driver's car should focus on the driving experience, not the latest LCD graphics.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If this is real, I hope it's a option and not standard equipment. I'm not an Lotus owner yet, but one of the most attractive things about Lotus is they don't "over-tech" their vehicles like virtually everyone else. I love technology but it needs to be applied applied appropriately. Just my personal opinion... a driver's car should focus on the driving experience, not the latest LCD graphics.
The 400 and GT dash may be an improvement over the S1 since it moved from using red leds for the back lighting to white but also in the process removed the coolant temp and the shift lights.

You can open up the S1 dash and replace the leds but I'd rather swap in something that can ultimately show me a lot more data.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Check out the TheLotusFourns.com. There is a long thread about installing this dash on Exige V6s and Evoras.
Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
446 Posts
The one thing that might tip me over is if it included an oil pressure gauge. I was astonished that the Evora doesn't include some sort of oil pressure display. Engine coolant temperature would be nice too, but oil pressure is a near-requirement.

·
Registered
446 Posts
OK, thanks! Did I also miss an oil pressure display? I don't own an Evora (yet).

·
Registered
585 Posts
Engine temperature is on the right of the dash on the same screen as the tire pressure.
In an S1? 400s only have a lamp that stays on when the temp is not up to running temperature yet or comes on if overheating.

·
Premium Member
2018 Evora 400 Burnt Orange
45 Posts
I have to admit I love that the Evora is not digital. I had an RS5 with digital dash. The only thing I’d really like is a plug & play data logger for the car. It’d be awesome if it could talk to the Alpine radio for a controller/display.

·
Vendor
1,251 Posts
The problem with adding a digital dash to any current Evora's is the can bus system looks for the oem dash connection, if it doesnt have it the car will go into a limp home mode. Experienced this from a previous track converted Evora.
If AIM/Lotus does a kit it would be a nice upgrade but Im doubting it will be an aftermarket kit like it is for the Elise/Exige platform. They are probably hinting towards the next car to be released would be my guess.

·
Premium Member
2011 Lotus Evora
113 Posts
It’s a 2011. Has a
In an S1? 400s only have a lamp that stays on when the temp is not up to running temperature yet or comes on if overheating.
It’s a scale without numbers that shows when the temp is in the acceptable range. Here’s a picture. The manual said the bottom of the scale is 140 F and the top is 250F
B3D36FE5-35F6-4FCA-96FE-F50DCB56AE47.jpeg

49BCA634-8847-447B-868C-382739092333.jpeg

·
Registered
446 Posts
Grrr... why would a "driver's car" get rid of its temperature gauge?!?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The problem with adding a digital dash to any current Evora's is the can bus system looks for the oem dash connection, if it doesnt have it the car will go into a limp home mode. Experienced this from a previous track converted Evora.
If AIM/Lotus does a kit it would be a nice upgrade but Im doubting it will be an aftermarket kit like it is for the Elise/Exige platform. They are probably hinting towards the next car to be released would be my guess.
Ah that's interesting so even if you wanted to swap to aftermarket you'd need to keep the old one around at least in some capacity.

See what happens Lotus is pretty good at teasing then not releasing things it seems.

·
Illegal Alien
5,138 Posts
Maybe they mean in a new Evora model?
No more "new" Evora models, next car out, the Type 131 ('21-'22 model?) is based on Evora chassis but will not be called an Evora.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The CAN sensitivity must be a safety issue. Unless they share a CAN interface with the keyswitch or something. The gauges should be pure receivers on the CAN network. The data they display comes from the ECU, TCU, and other source devices and is visible to all devices on the network. Each node decides for itself whether it wishes to use the data. The transmitting node(s) do(es) not know nor care that anyone, or no one, used the data it transmitted. This is why you can plug in an OBD scanner without causing an error, it's just another node that sees all network traffic.

They could have implemented an ACK scheme between specific nodes, but that's not normally done for ECU's and the like.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts